Yakupov video tribute in return to EDM

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Just because a player didn't live up to the draft position he had no influence on, doesn't mean he shouldn't be remembered fondly. Classy gesture from Edmonton.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
The guy was a #1 overall pick.... he ended out being a piss poor selfish 30 point 3-4th liner who was -30 every year, and ultimately got traded for a 2nd rounder and some no name prospect.

Hey lets THANK him for all hes done!! Its not like he set you back in your decade long playoff drought.... I mean why the video tribute in the first place?

A genuine act of kindness. Imagine.

Sigh

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
The guy was a #1 overall pick.... he ended out being a piss poor selfish 30 point 3-4th liner who was -30 every year, and ultimately got traded for a 2nd rounder and some no name prospect.

Hey lets THANK him for all hes done!! Its not like he set you back in your decade long playoff drought.... I mean why the video tribute in the first place?

Nail Yakupov stole someone's significant other, shot someone's dog AND makes more money than someone.

TedLundy

Dec 2, 2014
Just because a player didn't live up to the draft position he had no influence on, doesn't mean he shouldn't be remembered fondly. Classy gesture from Edmonton.

Sure, but.. I've just never seen an another organization doing something like this. And by that, i mean a player who havent had a huge impact on the team. I mean, there was a tribute to Alfie in Ottawa, and Sundin in Toronto, but that i can understand. I cannot understand this situation though. Are they going to make a tribute video to every player who leaves the team? If that's the case, then i like it. But idk, this is just odd.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sure, but.. I've just never seen an another organization doing something like this. And by that, i mean a player who havent had a huge impact on the team. I mean, there was a tribute to Alfie in Ottawa, and Sundin in Toronto, but that i can understand. I cannot understand this situation though. Are they going to make a tribute video to every player who leaves the team? If that's the case, then i like it. But idk, this is just odd.

No, Schultz will not get a video tribute.

As to the bolded, Yakupov was well liked in Edmonton and a model citizen. Doing a short tribute for him during a commercial break hardly seems worthy of scorn.

I don't know, maybe we're the ones being unreasonable and deserve mockery for it. Who knows?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
haha they actually gave him a video tribute????

Isnt that usually done only with long time players on that particular team?

So weird

Hopefully they give Schultz one too since they played close to the same amount of games with Oilers

TedLundy

Dec 2, 2014
No, Schultz will not get a video tribute.

As to the bolded, Yakupov was well liked in Edmonton and a model citizen. Doing a short tribute for him during a commercial break hardly seems worthy of scorn.

I don't know, maybe we're the ones being unreasonable and deserve mockery for it. Who knows?

I dont think people are mocking. It's an odd situation and some are wondering why, including me. So take off the victim cape for a bit.
Anyhow, back to the topic.. I like that there are tribute videos, i dont have a problem with it. I just find it odd that they're doing it for a 1st pick bust who had more of a negative impact than positive.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I dont think people are mocking. It's an odd situation and some are wondering why, including me. So take off the victim cape for a bit.
Anyhow, back to the topic.. I like that there are tribute videos, i dont have a problem with it. Just find it odd that they're doing it for a 1st pick bust who had more of a negative impact than positive.

It's not a cape, we can hack the criticisms. I genuinely wasn't sure if it was unreasonable to see no problem with a short tribute.

It was a simple thank you. Yakupov always worked hard for us, it just didn't work out. We were both better off with him going to a new team.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Anyhow, back to the topic.. I like that there are tribute videos, i dont have a problem with it. Just find it odd that they're doing it for a 1st pick bust who had more of a negative impact than positive.

Most people who aren't Oilers fans probably won't get it.

Although Yak didn't work out for the Oil as a player, he was a likable character who played hard every night so, for many fans, he became one of those guys you couldn't help but root for.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
haha they actually gave him a video tribute????

Isnt that usually done only with long time players on that particular team?

So weird

Hopefully they give Schultz one too since they played close to the same amount of games with Oilers
This is what I was thinking, absolutely bizarre they gave him a video tribute. It would be like the Flames having a Kris Russell video tribute.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I get that it's a nice thing to do, just like a tribute to the zamboni driver or beer guy.
I can't say its classy as it's borderline embarrassing to yak considering how poorly he did here.

I can see why op thinks its weird. I think its weird too.

Lmfao at J Schultz getting a tribute video.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
Yak got a tribute because he is well liked by the team still and by fans. He honestly tried and we did what was best for him and moved him on to a team that he'll hopefully flourish in.

Schultz openly quit on the team and is despised by a large portion of the fan base and management of the team.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yak got a tribute because he is well liked by the team still and by fans. He honestly tried and we did what was best for him and moved him on to a team that he'll hopefully flourish in.

Schultz openly quit on the team and is despised by a large portion of the fan base and management of the team.

Yeah....personally, I don't think "honestly trying" and being liked by the fan base while he was on the team for a couple years is worthy of a tribute video. This was really weird and silly.

Having said that, the OP takes it too far.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
and the crowd cheered???? WHAT? :laugh:

The Oilers biggest bust and most wasted pick of all-time..... Hey lets give him a hand! :handclap:

Cant take the fact that he was an absolute **** hockey player here. But he was always a fan favorite...he deserved that tribute video as much as anyone.

Wouldn't be surprised if a poll was ran on who the top 5 fan favorite Oilers of all time were...Yak would just might finish behind Gretzky, Smyth and Laraque. He didn't mean **** all to the Oilers but to the fans he did.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Yeah....personally, I don't think "honestly trying" and being liked by the fan base while he was on the team for a couple years is worthy of a tribute video. This was really weird and silly.

Having said that, the OP takes it too far.

How is it weird?

I found it very classy and you can tell it meant a lot to Yak. Looked like he was fighting back tears for a moment.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Cant take the fact that he was an absolute **** hockey player here. But he was always a fan favorite...he deserved that tribute video as much as anyone.

Wouldn't be surprised if a poll was ran on who the top 5 fan favorite Oilers of all time were...Yak would just might finish behind Gretzky, Smyth and Laraque. He didn't mean **** all to the Oilers but to the fans he did.
What?!
Strongly disagree on that.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I remember when I first started watching the league, video tributes were reserved for former players who were either really great and with the franchise for a long time.

Now, it seems to me that a lot of marginal players who laced up for any particular team and then moves on is eligible for a video tribute.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Why do people even care? It's not like they did it and aired it on TV. It was done during a commercial break.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
It was a nice gesture by the Oilers but I definitely agree that it was a bit odd. I don't think the Blues did a video tribute for EJ when he returned to St. Louis but I can't confirm that. I get that Yakupov was well liked by the community, but his performance on the ice doesn't really warrant a tribute. Still, it was cool to see as a Blues fan.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Why do people even care? It's not like they did it and aired it on TV. It was done during a commercial break.

Yeah, exactly. They played a video tribute for a popular player (there were quite a few "welcome back Yak" signs in the crowd) during a tv timeout (instad of showing a game where a random fan wins a prize, or whatever else they do during the tv timeouts on the jumbotron) which didnt delay the game.

Quick - to the message board to complain about it!!!

Whats the matter with some of you people?

Last edited:

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Yakupov was likely honored for reasons other than his on the ice play. He would contribute to the community and regular went out of his way to help the homeless. His play might have been subpar but I can see the reasoning. I wonder if Hall will get the same treatment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad