Yakemchuk / Parekh / Silayev / Dickinson / Buium

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which D prospect?

• Total voters

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Buium will be a mystery for awhile, playing in college. Yakemchuk, Parekh, and Dickenson played NHL exhibition games. I assume Silayev and Levshunov will play NHL and/or AHL at some point this season, so we'll get a good look at them too against pros. And Silayev of course played KHL.

I liked Buium and what I read about pre-draft, although being a LHD, I wasn't nearly as interested as the RHD. His biggest obstacle to becoming a star 2-way defender could be that he's a little guy for a defenseman, although certainly not tiny. Although other smallish d-men have been outstanding players. Will he ever be strong enough to handle opponents in front of the net and along the boards?

Buium's 6 feet. His height isn't going to be an impediment to becoming a great player and if you're worrying about the weight and strength of an 18 year old then you're worrying about the wrong things.

Reactions: MuckOG and NyQuil

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I liked Buium and what I read about pre-draft, although being a LHD, I wasn't nearly as interested as the RHD.

It's true that RHD carry a premium, but the Wild kinda had a need for a LHD in that spot so many of us were pretty happy that he was there for the taking.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
i couldn't help but laugh out loud reading this. Sustr?

He's easily the best defender in the group, which is the most important aspect of being an NHL defenseman. His likelyhood of being a 1D is over 50% for me with his elite skating at 6'7". The lazy player comparison would be Chara but i'll go Hedman. Skating is even, defense is even or better (projected), offense is quite a bit behind. And he's easily more physical/nasty than Hedman.

I prefer a nasty 6'7" 230, 50 point shutdown elite defender over a 80+ point offense 6'0" defenseman any day of the week.

Silayev's only flaw is he was drafted by the Devils
What on earth has Silayev done to make you think he's a 50 point guy? I was huge on this guy going into the draft and I'm still big on him, but that's a massive big stretch.

And as you eluded to, there is zero chance he ever gets the opportunity to put up 50 with a team like New Jersey where his teammates are Hamilton, Luke Hughes, and Nemec.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
I'd ask you all to wager avatars but as we are going to have to wait for silayev's entire career to playout it's futile.

I think theres a pretty good shot he has a season or 2 with possibly even 36 points.

What on earth has Silayev done to make you think he's a 50 point guy? I was huge on this guy going into the draft and I'm still big on him, but that's a massive big stretch.

And as you eluded to, there is zero chance he ever gets the opportunity to put up 50 with a team like New Jersey where his teammates are Hamilton, Luke Hughes, and Nemec.
I dunno, he is 6'7 maybe he will develop a Chara like slapshot? The physics are there.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I was super hopeful that Silayev would develop into a Hedman/Chara profile but after his torrid start, it became clear that the points were a fluke. The entire last 2/3 of season he was a 5/6 D with a whole lot of 0/0/0 stat lines (like, not even 1 SOG). And watching him towards the end of the season in the KHL and then MHL, there weren't even flashes of offensive capability. He's very tall and he skates well and he's a great fit for NJD, but IMHO people need to put to bed the dreams that he's going to put up 40 points regularly. Sure, anything is possible, but I agree with the NJD fans who are saying Parayko would be an amazing outcome (it would - look at what that would do for a very promising NJD team with defensive questions).

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I was super hopeful that Silayev would develop into a Hedman/Chara profile but after his torrid start, it became clear that the points were a fluke. The entire last 2/3 of season he was a 5/6 D with a whole lot of 0/0/0 stat lines (like, not even 1 SOG). And watching him towards the end of the season in the KHL and then MHL, there weren't even flashes of offensive capability. He's very tall and he skates well and he's a great fit for NJD, but IMHO people need to put to bed the dreams that he's going to put up 40 points regularly. Sure, anything is possible, but I agree with the NJD fans who are saying Parayko would be an amazing outcome (it would - look at what that would do for a very promising NJD team with defensive questions).

I think he can show some interesting things activating off puck at times but with the puck in the OZ 9 times out of 10 he’s just throwing it on net as soon as he gets it. That’s all perfectly fine for Silayev because it’s not what you pick him for. The guy was picked because he’s huge as well as being a great skater and not just a “good for his size” but actually a high end skater regardless of size. Those things allow him to be a defensive monster which he really is already as a 17/18 year old in the KHL. If you wanted another offensive force you pick Buium there and if you wanted more of a two way guy you pick Dickinson.

I’m generally against picking for “need” or “fit” but this was a unique scenario where you have 3 high end 20 year old offensive D already. He’s exactly what’s needed long term and the perfect fit. If that offense ever comes then he’s a superduperstar but it’s not a necessity for the pick to work out or should it be something you expect out of Silayev.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

You don’t need all your defencemen to put up points.

In fact, in a cap world, it can be unproductive.

A guy like Artem Zub is affordable because he plays solid defence without putting up a ton of points.

If you already have offensive defence skill sets on the roster, pairing him with those kinds of guys can work out well for everyone.

Reactions: coooldude

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Ya not sure why people are expecting Silayev to put up a bunch of points. That's not why you draft a giant.

You can find a PP QB easy enough, lot harder to find someone that can shut shit down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad