Yakemchuk / Parekh / Silayev / Dickinson / Buium

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which D prospect?

• Total voters

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Right on the RHD - good point, but I don't buy the "a less intelligent Sanderson" description of Dickinson for a micro second.
  • 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds
  • one of the youngest players in his draft class
  • mental maturity
  • highly-effective defender, and stands out amongst his peers for his aggressiveness, defensive intelligence
  • With the puck, he’s decisive and explosive, drawing in forechecking pressure only to leave it in his dust as he carries the puck from zone to zone unimpeded
He's a special player being put in a tremendous situation and I think a lot of people sleep on him. He easily stands out to me as the safest.
Give me “a less intelligent Sanderson” over or equal to any D in this draft

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The question I have is what exactly did the Ottawa scouts see in Yakemchuk that allowed them to pass on everyone else? The all around safe skills of Dickinson, the deadly offence in Parekh and the complete game in Buium (and Silayev as well)? Was Yak the natural athlete?

Everyone said it was a reach and now, doesn't look that way - leading this poll lol
Of the 5 listed,
I had them ranked Yakemchuk then Buium.
Poll results look good to me.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
based on this poll it almost looks like a lot of people think four out of the five GM's picked wrong as the best defenseman was picked the last out of all of them.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Just like it was at the draft, think it’s an absolute toss up.

Want the highest upside? Pick Yakemchuk
Want the highest floor? Pick Dickinson
Highest offensive upside? Pick Parekh
Highest defensive upside? Pick Silayev
Best chance to reach their ceiling? Pick Buium

All have their routes to being the best defenseman from the draft, really just depends on what you need as an organization. Don’t think it’s a coincidence that it was such a toss up the order just went all the RD followed by all the LD.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Buium is the best defenseman in that draft imo.

Buium, Levshunov, Yakemchuk, Parekh, Dickinson.

I don’t see anything remotely elite in Silayev. He reminds me of Andrej Sustr.
i couldn't help but laugh out loud reading this. Sustr?

He's easily the best defender in the group, which is the most important aspect of being an NHL defenseman. His likelyhood of being a 1D is over 50% for me with his elite skating at 6'7". The lazy player comparison would be Chara but i'll go Hedman. Skating is even, defense is even or better (projected), offense is quite a bit behind. And he's easily more physical/nasty than Hedman.

I prefer a nasty 6'7" 230, 50 point shutdown elite defender over a 80+ point offense 6'0" defenseman any day of the week.

Silayev's only flaw is he was drafted by the Devils

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

He's easily the best defender in the group, which is the most important aspect of being an NHL defenseman. His likelyhood of being a 1D is over 50% for me with his elite skating at 6'7". The lazy player comparison would be Chara but i'll go Hedman. Skating is even, defense is even or better (projected), offense is quite a bit behind. And he's easily more physical/nasty than Hedman.

I prefer a nasty 6'7" 230, 50 point shutdown elite defender over a 80+ point offense 6'0" defenseman any day of the week.

50 pt Silayev is pure imagination. He has little offensive ability. The early KHL scoring was just random bounces.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I’ll take the defense for Silayev but he’s not even remotely close to Hedman offensively. His only offensive thought is to get the puck off his stick as quickly as possible. At this point offense might as well not even exist to him. The defense and skating is incredible though. He just swallows up ice.

Hedman’s another lazy comp. He’s not Hedman. A pre back injury Parayko is the guy. Parayko was 6’6 230, a great skater, chipped in 35 pts, and was an elite defender. I don’t think Silayev’s a 35 pt guy at this point. The puck moving and offense needs a lot of work but the rest lines up.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

I couldn’t help but laugh out loud with yours as well. Only quite literally.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’ll take the defense for Silayev but he’s not even remotely close to Hedman offensively. His only offensive thought is to get the puck off his stick as quickly as possible. At this point offense might as well not even exist to him. The defense and skating is incredible though. He just swallows up ice.

Hedman’s another lazy comp. He’s not Hedman. A pre back injury Parayko is the guy. Parayko was 6’6 230, a great skater, chipped in 35 pts, and was an elite defender. I don’t think Silayev’s a 35 pt guy at this point. The puck moving and offense needs a lot of work but the rest lines up.
Parayko sort of ceiling expectation for Silayev is probably more in line with the type of player he could be than some other examples I’ve seen. Hedman. For real?

The thing is I don’t see anything that resembles an offensive upside in Silayev. He’s not a Logan Stanley but isn’t a Chara type either. Tyler Myers, Jamie Oleksiak, or even lower like Andrej Sustr if he totally doesn’t pan out is the type of dman that I see.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Parayko sort of ceiling expectation for Silayev is probably more in line with the type of player he could be than some other examples I’ve seen. Hedman. For real?

The thing is I don’t see anything that resembles an offensive upside in Silayev. He’s not a Logan Stanley but isn’t a Chara type either. Tyler Myers, Jamie Oleksiak, or even lower like Andrej Sustr if he totally doesn’t pan out is the type of dman that I see.

I really don’t give a shit if he never develops any offense as long as he shores up the puckmoving some. We have the high end offense on the backend with no more PP spots that’ll be open for like the next 10+ years. Also think with him likely having one of Nemec or Casey as his long term partner the puck moving issues can be alleviated somewhat by them. I think Silayev’s skating and defense is legitimately really really high end stuff. I think a quality shutdown #4 is like his floor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad