Yakemchuk / Parekh / Silayev / Dickinson / Buium

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which D prospect?

• Total voters

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
At time of draft, and for the Sharks, I had them Buium, Dickinson, Yakemchuk.

It has only been a few preseason games but I might put Yak in front of Dick. Any of them could be the best of the three or the best of the class, Dickinson being most likely to hit a floor but possibly less likely to hit a ceiling, but it's all f***ing reading tea leaves until 5 years from now, so who knows?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I had Buium 1st and Yak 2nd at the draft, and I'll try to stick with that. Very encouraged by Yak's game last night.

Its important to evaluate them on their own but I like the situational straight lines to success that Dickinson and Parekh have. Yak will have Sanderson and Chabot to contend with. Buium with Faber is less of an obstacle but still an obstacle. Silayev is buried.

Are you paying any attention to sidedness here? Buium has no one stopping him from being a top 4 D and possibly Faber's D partner. They don't play the same side. Chabot and/or Sanderson will be Yakemchuk's D partner, they're LD and the other RD is Zub.

Dickinson in particular with his two way ability and that developing core is in a very special situation IMO. '25 draft top end is all forwards - Martone (RW), Misa (LW), Frondell (C), Hagens (C)....chances are a high end winger for either Smith or Celebrini is in the cards. The one that doesn't click with Eklund. Crazy PP time comin' here on top of his all around ability.

Great poll - been waiting for this.

Dickinson is relatively ready to go in the NHL but the Sharks are not. Big minutes on a bad team means bad results.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Yak is a RHD, so really Zub is his only legitimate competition. Dickinson is a great player and has the highest floor easily, but he's essentially a less intelligent Sanderson imho.
Right on the RHD - good point, but I don't buy the "a less intelligent Sanderson" description of Dickinson for a micro second.
  • 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds
  • one of the youngest players in his draft class
  • mental maturity
  • highly-effective defender, and stands out amongst his peers for his aggressiveness, defensive intelligence
  • With the puck, he’s decisive and explosive, drawing in forechecking pressure only to leave it in his dust as he carries the puck from zone to zone unimpeded
He's a special player being put in a tremendous situation and I think a lot of people sleep on him. He easily stands out to me as the safest.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Right on the RHD - good point, but I don't buy the "a less intelligent Sanderson" description of Dickinson for a micro second.
  • 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds
  • one of the youngest players in his draft class
  • mental maturity
  • highly-effective defender, and stands out amongst his peers for his aggressiveness, defensive intelligence
  • With the puck, he’s decisive and explosive, drawing in forechecking pressure only to leave it in his dust as he carries the puck from zone to zone unimpeded
He's a special player being put in a tremendous situation and I think a lot of people sleep on him. He easily stands out to me as the safest.
Not saying Dickinson is dumb, but Sanderson's IQ is ethereal. Dickinson is going to be an excellent Dman and is almost certain to be a #4 all sitatuations Dman at worst if he doesn't get injury problems. But I don't feel he's going to have near the same offensive upside as everyone else. He could become like a Slavin-esque Dman in the future, but as fantastic as Slavin is, he's not going to be favoured league wise over Dman that can completely take over the game consistently.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Not saying Dickinson is dumb, but Sanderson's IQ is ethereal. Dickinson is going to be an excellent Dman and is almost certain to be a #4 all situations Dman at worst if he doesn't get injury problems. But I don't feel he's going to have near the same offensive upside as everyone else. He could become like a Slavin-esque Dman in the future, but as fantastic as Slavin is, he's not going to be favored league wise over Dman that can completely take over the game consistently.
Slavin, eh?...that's really saying something.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
The question I have is what exactly did the Ottawa scouts see in Yakemchuk that allowed them to pass on everyone else? The all around safe skills of Dickinson, the deadly offence in Parekh and the complete game in Buium (and Silayev as well)? Was Yak the natural athlete?

Everyone said it was a reach and now, doesn't look that way - leading this poll lol

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The question I have is what exactly did the Ottawa scouts see in Yakemchuk that allowed them to pass on everyone else?

Probably the physical huge beast with incredible dangles and a whole array of elite shots?

The question with Yak ought to be how do you miss him.

I'm not saying he's perfect, he's still got those super awkward pivots. I'm saying he's the exact sort of player you ought to be immediately smitten with and have to make yourself coldly study the risks that come with his game so you don't take him too high.

Everyone said it was a reach and now, doesn't look that way - leading this poll lol

That's called learning.

• Haha
Reactions: Shroud of Orrin

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Not saying Dickinson is dumb, but Sanderson's IQ is ethereal. Dickinson is going to be an excellent Dman and is almost certain to be a #4 all sitatuations Dman at worst if he doesn't get injury problems. But I don't feel he's going to have near the same offensive upside as everyone else. He could become like a Slavin-esque Dman in the future, but as fantastic as Slavin is, he's not going to be favoured league wise over Dman that can completely take over the game consistently.
NHL fans don't throw out Jaccob Slavin or Ryan McDonagh as a comp for every single young/prospect dman that doesn't project as a PP quarterback challenge (impossible).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad