Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Pierre-Luc Dubois for Darcy Kuemper (no salary retained)

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Happening before the 1/3 buyout window right?

Maybe WSH is going to get a bunch of pieces to take him and buy him out.
I think the 1/3 buyout window is closed thanks to Oilers game 4/5 heroics. To be eligible for 1/3 he has to be bought out by the 23rd - he is too old on the 24th his birthday. buyout window opens 48 hrs after cup is awarded. game 6 is on the 21st plus 48 hours would leave a small window or no window. Oilers win last night may have saved PLD a ton of money

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
So who won this trade? I think I'd rather gamble on buying at the low for a 25 year-old PLD and hope he turns things around like an Evander Kane than a 34 year old goalie for the next 3 years. I'm not sure how much improvements the Kings can make with that extra 3 million in cap space in the next three years.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Kuemper is a worse goalie than the Kings had last year and he's making much more money.

Yes, purely in a vacuum, turning PLD's deal into Kuemper's deal is a "win" for LA. But considering what they paid a year ago for PLD and how they put themselves in this situation by handing him that deal last off-season, they are still an absolute loser in this.
Nah Keumper is a huge upgrade on shitty Talbot and Rittich

• Wow
Reactions: Ridley Simon

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Man Blake gotta be frontrunner for gm of the year already, getting rid of that boat anchor of a contract lol

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Dylan Strome wasn’t PLD level of controller disconnection but when he arrived in Washington he was seen as a super toolsy and talented but lazy center. He’s really put it together in Washington and I think is quite underrated at this point.

I’m sure the Caps think they can do something similar with PLD. I’m not saying they will, but I get the theoretical PLD-Strome pivot.

Reactions: Crazy8oooo

MileHighCapsFan

Mar 12, 2007
Strange trade for sure, but Washington, what the hell are you doing taking on that contract?
They had the money, in-house AHL 1st Team G, and got younger/deeper at C.

Off the books
Backstrom = $9.2M (age 36)
Kuemper = $5.25M (age 34)
Kuznetzov = $3.9M (age 32) retained 50%

On the books
PLD = $8.5M (age 25)
Shepard = $775k (age 28)

Reactions: BKarchitect

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
I actually think, this is not bad for WSH.
Has anybody seen their cap structure on capfriendly?
They are effing old. And so many of these contracts will run out soon.

Trading away their old goal tender is a good thing.
They are gonna be a young, rebuilding team very soon.

That PLD contract will never hurt them, because of their cap structure. Go to capfriendly, as long as you still can.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Man Blake gotta be frontrunner for gm of the year already, getting rid of that boat anchor of a contract lol

Hm I wonder who traded for Dubois and then gave him that boat anchor of a contract

We%27re_All_Trying_To_Find_The_Guy_Who_Did_This_banner_1.jpg

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
As a CBJ fan this makes me so happy. What a dumb move by the Caps. Now he can be an even more disgruntled punk. Makes me smile knowing he was so excited to go to LAK and now, after another year showing his true colors, he's shipped off to a team on the decline. Going to be fun to watch

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I can’t imagine him ever “earning” that contract since he never really was an 8.5 million dollar player. Maybe he can make it look less embarassing though.
I mean he was an almost 30 goal scorer, 60 point center. Is 8.5 really that off for that sort of player in today's NHL? Maybe a little high but not absurdly so imo.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
They had the money, in-house AHL 1st Team G, and got younger/deeper at C.

Off the books
Backstrom = $9.2M (age 36)
Kuemper = $5.25M (age 34)
Kuznetzov = $3.9M (age 32) retained 50%

On the books
PLD = $8.5M (age 25)
Shepard = $775k (age 28)
It’s not nearly as crazy as people are making it seem but I suspect most aren’t interested in actually learning why the Caps might take this gamble (and yes, it’s certainly a gamble even looking at it optimistically) and would rather just scream about PLD’s contract as if they are the ones breaking the news that it is expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad