Confirmed Trade: [WSH/CGY] Andrew Mangiapane for 2025 (Colorado) 2nd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Ryan Leonard would fit there nicely.
Would be nice to see him get a few games for sure.

I can't imagine they'd keep him up and burn his ELC though? Given what most of us think are the team objectives at this point (be competitive but don't bother swinging for the fences)

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
The trade was fine, we just should have been selling Huberdeau and Weegar at the TDL. Get a prospect and 1st for each of them and we could have actually done a quick turn re-tool at that point in 3 years. Now it'll be 5 or 6 years minimum.
A prospect and a first for Hubs? Lol. Unless this is referring to when you first got him, before he played as a flame.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Would be nice to see him get a few games for sure.

I can't imagine they'd keep him up and burn his ELC though? Given what most of us think are the team objectives at this point (be competitive but don't bother swinging for the fences)
If he's playing professionally at all, he's using a year on his ELC. Leonard is an NCAA player, not a CHL one. Even if he's in the AHL, his ELC is ticking.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Good haul for Calgary.

Mangiapane had one year where he scored above 30 goals(on a stacked Calgary team), but other than that he's scored at a low 20's rate his entire career.
Hence why he went for a second... I wouldn't call a second a haul for that. If they paid a 3rd everybody raves about it from the other side. The difference between a 2nd and a 3rd isn't a haul. I guess the cap isn't ideal but it's 1 year for now and helps them ice a better team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silky mitts

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
One last push for Ovi despite giving away the future bit by bit...
They’ve sold at each of the last two deadlines. They have five picks in the first 100 this year. Before this trade they had three seconds and two thirds next year so they still have five picks in the first three rounds next year.

They are doing exactly what they said they’d do — try to thread the needle and find the right balance of keeping a promise to Ovi to keep them competitive for the final years of his career and plan for life after Ovi. They made the playoffs last year and have improved their prospect pool considerably, plus they’ve been stockpiling draft picks over the past few seasons.

They also only have five players signed beyond Ovi’s contract ending in two years and the oldest player in that group is Tom Wilson — none of the five are over 30. This narrative that the Caps are mortgaging their future to go all-in for Ovi is objectively false.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
It's funny seeing some posts saying this is a steal for the Caps or that the Flames are in trouble now.

Mangiapane was probably our 11th best forward last year. He isn't good.

Reactions: HighLifeManIsHigh

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Nice move by the Caps. I kind of like what they're doing over there. If Dubois starts trying again, they could keep the wheels turning and not have to do a full teardown. Seems like they're going for that method of restocking prospects and trying to be competitive. I think that helps prospects develop well because it both insulates them and develops them better.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
Washington reminds me of the Flames at the end of the Iginla era. They're chasing something that isn't there.
We're biding our time until the next wave(Leonard, Miro, Lapierre, McMichael, etc...)is up to consistent top 6 minutes, and getting Ovie his record, all while trying to make the playoffs. Guys like Mangiapane can be dealt at the deadline for a similar pick, if they don't re-sign on favorable terms. PLD was a swing. If he plays like the last couple years in Winnipeg, or takes the next step, ala J.T. Miller, it's a big win. Again, we've been spending 16+ million on centers the last 2 years for next to 0 results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caps8112

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Probably Oshie replacement. It sounded like he's going to LTIRetire at the end of the season.

Even if he doesn’t, he’s unlikely to play anywhere close to a full season, so I don’t mind the move.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
It's funny seeing some posts saying this is a steal for the Caps or that the Flames are in trouble now.

Mangiapane was probably our 11th best forward last year. He isn't good.

While I think it's a pretty good hockey trade for both parts, Caps got a decent player and the Flames got a decent pick - calling him the 11th best forward on the Flames last year is even funnier than calling it a steal.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Probably Oshie replacement. It sounded like he's going to LTIRetire at the end of the season.

Even if he doesn’t, he’s unlikely to play anywhere close to a full season, so I don’t mind the move.
How far over the cap are they ?

Backstrom and Oshii like 15 million to LTIR?

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
The trade was fine, we just should have been selling Huberdeau and Weegar at the TDL. Get a prospect and 1st for each of them and we could have actually done a quick turn re-tool at that point in 3 years. Now it'll be 5 or 6 years minimum.

75% retained and we send you couple picks for Huby

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
While I think it's a pretty good hockey trade for both parts, Caps got a decent player and the Flames got a decent pick - calling him the 11th best forward on the Flames last year is even funnier than calling it a steal.
I see you're a Caps fan, how many bread games did you watch this year?

Because our fan base watched all 82 games. And half the fan base was calling for him to be a healthy scratch most of the year, he was so bad.

Maybe he will go back to how he used to play. But let's not pretend he wasn't one of the worst Flames players last year lol.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I see you're a Caps fan, how many bread games did you watch this year?

Because our fan base watched all 82 games. And half the fan base was calling for him to be a healthy scratch most of the year, he was so bad.

Maybe he will go back to how he used to play. But let's not pretend he wasn't one of the worst Flames players last year lol.
You need to stop making shit up

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad