News: Erik Brannstrom won't receive a QO from Senators

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Good option as a #7/8, or even a #6 that you phase out of the lineup as ypu approach the playoffs. He can bring a good amount of value so long as he is properly protected

Ottawa has probably offered a 1-2yr deal around 1-1.25m but I think Brannstrom will look for a fresh start

Reactions: BHD

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
not a fan of this move from a Sens perspective, but maybe it indicates Staios is confident he can land 2 legit dman in FA or via trade…. Which to me seems like a very tall order.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
He is a decent player, just not worth his qa amount with us. We have a soft group of defenders and adding some size and grit in his spot will likely benefit our team more. He never complained and did everything the org asked of him - bouncing between the bigs and minors, scratches, working on his defense, playing all thought the lineup (I believe he even played forward a bit when we were short) and improved as he did. I wish him success where he signs.

Edit: I want to amend saying we want to replace him with size and grit to say size and strength. Brannstrom is gritty, he just doesn't have the size or strength to push players around. He goes to the corners and gets up like nothing happened every time he takes a huge hit.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
not a fan of this move from a Sens perspective, but maybe it indicates Staios is confident he can land 2 legit dman in FA or via trade…. Which to me seems like a very tall order.

I definitely saw some games last year where I thought he was pretty darn effective all around, he's certainly NHL caliber at worst. But I do think we are just in an era where teams really only covet smaller Dmen who are either high end offensively or the very rare ones who are completely nails defensively. Otherwise they want the bigger bodies on the backend.

Brannstrom can play though. Not sure if there's a team out there that has the opportunity but I could see him still breaking out a bit if given more PP time and the right offensive role. He's no liability defensively by any means either.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
He’s small, but good. Takes big hits once in awhile, injured a couple of times as a result. But, every time we needed him to play up the line up he actually played really well, seems more suited to top 4 role. The stats show most of our “high end” D play well when partnered with Branny. Can run a PP if needed, and for a couple of games did okay playing at forward, almost a couple of highlight reel goals across two games at F.

At 1-1.5 mill, very good to have in a suitable line up. Bit of a Swiss Army knife. If he was bigger he would be top 4 on many teams.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Some team is going to be happy with this guy. He's hard not to like with how hard he works every shift. Very likeable teammate that takes nothing for granted and is very easy to pull for.

Definitely a bit of a tweener in terms of his style and role and that makes him tough to slot into a lineup perfectly but I think with the right coach and D partner he could become a highly appreciated mainstay in someone's lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad