Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Patrik Laine re-signs with the Jets (2 years, $6.75M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I guess you'll find out in 3 years.

For Laine to match Marner’s earnings, he would need to earn about $13M per season over the 4 seasons after this one. Even if he has multiple 50 goal seasons, he would probably still need to sell more than just 2 UFA years in order to get that kind of cash on his next deal. Which means that if Laine does manage to match Marner’s earnings over the first 4 years, Marner will be able to cash in again as a UFA at well over the $13M. So either way, he is still well behind Laine.

Then you factor in the present value of money; because of the bonus-laden, front-loaded salary structure, Marner will earn $30M in the first ten months of his contract. By comparison, Laine will earn only $13.5M over that time frame. So even if Laine’s earnings over 4 years end up matching Marner’s, Marner’s contract is way better for the player.

Of course, Marner is a better player who deserves more money. But there is no argument that Marner’s contract is not much, much better for the player.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
In this scenario - Laine could simply elect to go to arbitration twice, and walk as a UFA at the same time the three year deal would allow him to.
Ok I take it back. I'm wrong.
I thought he didn't have arb. Rights after the 2 year deal.

It isnt terrible... he has a few years to prove it and league will likely grow by then

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
if they could fit it in and be cap compliant, any GM would prefer a long term RFA deal over a bridge

I think that some of these GMs would have much preferred a bridge deal over signing a long-term deal if the long-term deal forced them to trade a 1st round pick, ice a <22 man roster, and have no cap space at the trade deadline in order to fit in and be cap compliant.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The point of a bridge is to reduce uncertainty about what you have before you pay big dollars. I wouldn't worry too much about Marner, but I'm not sure what to think about Nylander and Matthews ability to play a full season seems to be a bit of a question. All in all, probably not big risks though.

Aside from the contract, what games did Nylander miss?

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Wow, pretty low price IMO. Would have thought it would be a 1 year 7 M so that it would force Winnipeg to move him like they did with Trouba.

craiger17

May 15, 2011
Sorry if I missed it. Skimmed through looking for it. Would Laine miss any games due to work visa or is that only an issue that will come up when Rantanen signs (heard there could be up to a two week delay for him)?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Sorry if I missed it. Skimmed through looking for it. Would Laine miss any games due to work visa or is that only an issue that will come up when Rantanen signs (heard there could be up to a two week delay for him)?
He's expected to arrive in Winnipeg on Monday.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Marner recieved two offer-sheets, one of the GM's even called to let Dubas know he was doing it (Probably LouLam), atleast one offer was rumored to of been for more than he ended up signing for.
It was Columbus and Minnesota. I believe columbus' was 13x5 and Minnesota's was 10x3

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That's a sky high number for a two year bridge.....

Jets management needs to decide if they want to salvage the relationship (smart thing to do) or else this is going to end up like Trouba with trade in 2 years

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They kind of are, though. We had 2 year bridge deals for good RFAs at 2mil per. Now they're 6.75.

This makes a bridge deal pretty pointless.

That's probably time when the longterm deals were 5-6M.
Today they can be 11+.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Over payment for a one-way flashy goal scoring forward. When an opponents coach decides to focus on Laine, he can't handle the pressure.

Year 3 Laine....sure. Year 1 and 2 he was on fire. If the rumors are true and his back is healed, then I am more than excited to see him out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad