Proposal: Wpg-ari-cbj

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Which one of Jones or Murray are the Blue Jackets giving to us? Werenski gets nothing done, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I don't see this for CBJ. They could be building a really special defense, and they're also liable to lose JJ/Savard to expansion, so I imagine Werenski will have a really big role soon. If I'm not mistaken, they see Dubois as a centre long term, Dubinsky is a centre, Wennberg is a centre, and I believe Jenner is as well. I think they're fine. Seems to be a trade that gets rid of Trouba's contract problem and fixes the Jets need for a high end LHD, and you tried to get the value in the ballpark on the other pieces without considering those other clubs' needs.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Which one of Jones or Murray are the Blue Jackets giving to us? Werenski gets nothing done, that's for sure.

Not that this deal works money wise for them anyway, but they certainly would make this trade without hesitation if it did.

You have no idea how good Werenski is, do you.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Too much risk for all of the teams involved.

Trouba's contract situation is iffy, Werenski could boom or bust. Strome could boom or bust.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

Not that this deal works money wise for them anyway, but they certainly would make this trade without hesitation if it did.

Werenski will be the best defenceman mentioned in this post in 2 years, including Trouba but... are the Jets willing to gamble on a sure fire NHL higher end dman for a dman that will very likely hit a higher ceiling?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
You have no idea how good Werenski is, do you.

Actually I have. You clearly have no idea how sometimes prospects don't live up to their expectations. There's no reason for us to re-roll a very successful pick.

If you think that potential beats proven, you shouldn't post here. At all.

Werenski will be the best defenceman mentioned in this post in 2 years, including Trouba but... are the Jets willing to gamble on a sure fire NHL higher end dman for a dman that will very likely hit a higher ceiling?

I agree that Werenski's ceiling is a bit higher than Trouba's. I don't think many Jets fans would disagree. The problem is that we have a 22 year old borderline top pairing guy, who, contrary to popular belief of uninformed HF posters, is still developing. He could very well become that 1D if given the right linemate (a.k.a not Stuart). Why exactly should we trade him for Werenski, who COULD be another Trouba, a bit better or a much worse player than him? Why are we taking the big risk of him not becoming better than Trouba?

Let's give you an example, since I remember you're an Oilers fan. Would you trade Klefbom for Sergachev? You're downgrading by a country mile from a position from which you can't afford to give anyone up, but it could pay off eventually. This hinders your ability to finally push for the playoffs. There's also a risk that Klefbom breaks through and/or Sergachev busts, in which case you have done serious damage to your blue line in both short term and long term.

Are you doing all that just to potentially get better in the future?

That is pretty close to the situation this trade would put Winnipeg in.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Actually I have. You clearly have no idea how sometimes prospects don't live up to their expectations. There's no reason for us to re-roll a very successful pick.

I agree that Werenski's ceiling is a bit higher than Trouba's. I don't think many Jets fans would disagree. The problem is that we have a 22 year old borderline top pairing guy, who, contrary to popular belief of uninformed HF posters, is still developing. He could very well become that 1D if given the right linemate (a.k.a not Stuart). Why exactly should we trade him for Werenski, who COULD be another Trouba, a bit better or a much worse player than him? Why are we taking the big risk of him not becoming better than Trouba?

Let's give you an example, since I remember you're an Oilers fan. Would you trade Klefbom for Sergachev? You're downgrading by a country mile from a position from which you can't afford to give anyone up, but it could pay off eventually. This hinders your ability to finally push for the playoffs. There's also a risk that Klefbom breaks through and/or Sergachev busts, in which case you have done serious damage to your blue line in both short term and long term.

Are you doing all that just to potentially get better in the future?

That is pretty close to the situation this trade would put Winnipeg in.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Wouldn't that eliminate 65% of the posters on HFBoards ?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

^ding ding ding^

That is the correct answer. Werenski will probably be great, but he wouldn't fill the hole that trading Trouba would leave in the Jets roster today. The Jets aren't seeking to take a step back.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Probably. But seriously, the inability to consider the surprisingly high risk of your favourite (team's) prospect busting ruins many threads.

It makes this board unbearable at times.

I am not trading a well rounded young D man for a guy that might turn out better. I'd want Jones + for 2 super duper prospects :laugh:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
It makes this board unbearable at times.

I am not trading a well rounded young D man for a guy that might turn out better. I'd want Jones + for 2 super duper prospects :laugh:

Yes, because trades like this never happen in real life. :rolly:

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Cute. Certainly we can attach a level of reasonableness to whether a player will turn out or not, it's hardly a coin toss in the case of a prospect of Werenski's calibre. His intelligence with the puck, his smoothness, his offensive instincts, and the strides he took defensively this past year are all incredibly positive signs. He's not a low IQ player relying on physical tools to beat weak competition, and he's noticeably improving on what was his biggest weakness. The notion that somehow the Jets could demand Seth Jones, a player who displayed a higher ability in CBJ than Trouba has, who has higher offensive potential, who (IMO) is significantly more likely to be a #1 defensman, and who is actually signed, is laughable. Your other statement that somehow CBJ would jump all over this is equally ridiculous, especially since their fans in this thread have already shot that one down. I guess you know more than Columbus fans and what they need? With that arrogance, I can certainly understand why you don't think it's necessary for the rest of us to post, you've got it covered.

I'll also add...if the Jets can keep Trouba at a contract long term they are comfortable with, fantastic, but considering this OP is a Jets fan, I'd say it's based on the unspoken premise something hypothetically can't get done. In that scenario, the Jets should thank their stars if they could get a Werenski level defender back, because most certainly nobody is trading a 1 for 1 LH equivalent of Trouba, except signed. Werenski's potential, handedness, close to NHL readiness, age (fits in with Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Schiefele, etc.), and expansion draft exemption make him about the best return I think the Jets could look for if they needed defense back. Keep laughing, I guess.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Dude. Werenski has a ridiculously high ceiling and had no problems with adjusting to the AHL to be Lake Erie's #1 D and PP QB in the post season. I would almost trade Trouba for him straight up.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Doesn't make any sence for Winnipeg doing it. They lose a young proven defencemen, for someone with no NHL experience. Also, Why would Airzona do this. Strome was a top 3 pick, he has a way higher ceiling than Trouba or Werenski.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Pretty sure all 3 teams say no here, Cheveldayoff already said that he's not trading Trouba, Doubt that Chayka has any interested in trading Strome and i can't see Columbus parting with Werenski either no dice from all 3 GMs .

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm kind of "enh, I dunno, maybe" on Strome (mostly because I've seen how his brother's doing and so I worry), and I'm very high on Werenski. Accordingly, my reaction to this proposal is "not a chance in hell". :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad