Speculation: Would you trade Askarov for... ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Would you trade Askarov for... ?

• 1st round pick at 2025

• G - Sebastian Cossa

• G - Trey Augustine (+ other incentive)

• RW - Michael Brandsegg-Nygård

• C - Nate Danielson

• C - Marco Kasper

• RD - Axel Sandin Pellikka

• LD - Simon Edvinsson

• I would not do any trade

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So there's now rumours Nashville has to find a new home for goalie Yaroslav Askarov.

He is said to be the most talented young goalie prospect in the world.

The value is pretty sure a 1st rounder, so I created a poll, with different options of our first rounders or goalies.

Who would you be ready to trade out for Askarov?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Askarov is a high end goalie prospect, but he's not yet a high end NHL goalie. That puts firmly in the same category as Cossa. Not really an upgrade unless you are an avid goalie person and have a clear preference for one over the other at this point, but you trust what you know, and you know everything that has gone into Cossa's development. Parallel comments can be made about Augustine.

Just not something I see us being interested in because of the lack of adding something we currently don't have.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Nobody would do Augustine + a little something for Askarov? If it is a first I balk. Something else like Beggren or something similar and I do that all day.
Augustine just continues to impress, just can't shake him. It's not crazy at all to think he will be better than Cossa and Askarov. He's a really nice goalie type to have in comparison to Cossa's "I'm huge" style.

Also feels like Nashville would want something that can add to their roster now, that team is not exactly young and it's obvious Trotz is hitting the gas.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I also have liked of that smaller fast goalie + monster Cossa combo.

I think Nashville would be interested in Cossa, because they have Augustine-like smaller Saros as a starter. Just to have two different ones. Cossa's development timeline would work better with Saros, than Askarov is now.

Askarov (monster) + Augustine (smaller, speed) = good combo for us too, as well as Cossa+Augustine.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Nobody would do Augustine + a little something for Askarov? If it is a first I balk. Something else like Beggren or something similar and I do that all day.
I guess I would do something like that. But with 2 promising goalie prospects already I'm not particularly interested in Askarov and I'd assume if there is something I would do to get him, another team that could actually use him would easily beat my offer

Reactions: SirloinUB

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Askarov is a high end goalie prospect, but he's not yet a high end NHL goalie. That puts firmly in the same category as Cossa. Not really an upgrade unless you are an avid goalie person and have a clear preference for one over the other at this point, but you trust what you know, and you know everything that has gone into Cossa's development. Parallel comments can be made about Augustine.

Just not something I see us being interested in because of the lack of adding something we currently don't have.

I like the idea of adding Askarov but your posts captures my feelings on this one. With what we already have it just doesn't make a lot of sense to give assets up for him.

Talbot
Lyon
Husso

Cossa
Campbell

Gylander
Gage

That said, If we could ship Lyon and Husso out for some middling picks Id be interested in putting a package to land Askarov as our NHL backup but that seems like a long shot anyway

Reactions: lilidk

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I don't feel a need to trade for Askarov now but I wouldn't have minded doing a goalie prospect swap of either Augustine or Cossa if Yzerman and crew felt the potential was equal but Askarov was more NHL ready.

I don't really think it makes sense for us now though since we already have a log jam with Lyon, Husso, and Talbot for this year. Wings only find the need to make this deal if they plan for Askarov to be at least a 1B this year at an NHL level. Assuming potentials are the same with Augustine and Cossa, which I think it is.

Augustine has a starters mentality. He is a bit on the smaller side for NHL goalies today, but he is unshakeable.

Cossa has very unique size and skills but needs to develop that unshakeable mentality.

Goalie is such a hard position to predict at an NHL level. Its why I'm typically against drafting 1st round goalies, especially high in the draft. While there are Carey Prices that are drafted high and become there are almost as many Lundqvists that are drafted at 200th overall. Mental ability is as important as physical ability, and we've seen one bad series or goal completely derail a good goalie career. Not to mention the health issues. You can't really hide goalies the way you can other positions as a lower line starter. All 3 guys mentioned above are doing well, but we really won't have a clue as to who will be the best for probably another 5-7 seasons.

Reactions: jkutswings

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Augustine just continues to impress, just can't shake him. It's not crazy at all to think he will be better than Cossa and Askarov. He's a really nice goalie type to have in comparison to Cossa's "I'm huge" style.

Also feels like Nashville would want something that can add to their roster now, that team is not exactly young and it's obvious Trotz is hitting the gas.

Give em Joey V? lol

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
We have two of the best goalie prospects in the league. Trading anything for a third one is just wasting assets for the hell of it. Had Augustine gone pro where would they all even play?

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I'd trade a 1st 25 for another swing on developing a top end goalie since it looks like the draft pick will be somewhere in the middle of the pack. Gives the team another goalie to potentially have success with and IF two or all 3 young guys become hotter, the trade value would be pretty good.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

I wouldn’t. I was like warm on Augustine when we drafted him but that kid seems to have the ‘it’ factor. All he does is play big in important games and win.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So here's the deal, Askarov is my favorite goalie prospect since Carey Price. I think he's the real deal. At minimum a solid NHL starter.

But we already have Cossa developing into a great goalie in his own right. And there's Augustine, of course, but I'm less bullish on him than some, but I still want to see what he becomes. It's a tricky situation.

You only pull the trigger on a deal like this if you're convinced Askarov is NHL ready and you're willing to move on from one of Cossa/Augustine.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Askarov, for me, is still not in a position to earn anything more than a shot at the NHL backup position. He lacks mental toughness in big games and isn't athletic enough to be considered for a #1 goalie position. This is probably why it's taken so long to even get him in the conversation for a trade. Nashville has been trying for some time with no success. He puts up decent AHL numbers, but most bigger matchups against better goalie prospects, he just doesn't shine.

Detroit already has two solid prospects in the pipeline, so there's no reason to be in on him, IMO.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He lacks mental toughness in big games and isn't athletic enough to be considered for a #1 goalie position.

This is a wild take. The mental toughness thing, whatever, that's some subjective assessment. But not "athletic enough" is the wild part.

The one thing you'll see every goalie scout commend Askarov on is his athleticism. It's world class. That's his bread and butter. It's why he was so highly regarded and continues to top goalie prospect lists.

Plus, like... it's just obvious if you watch him play. Watch this and tell me if this is an unathletic goalie. A few of these plays jump off the screen.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I thought this too. Might have to throw Lyon in too or make a separate trade. I'm not trading for Askarov to be in the AHL, I would hope he'd get significant time behind Talbot.

Augustine is a good prospect, and that's why people would want to trade for him, but I just feel like Cossa is better now, same with Askarov. Going forward that young combo would be pretty nice. 19-year-old Augustine is just alot to wait for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad