Would you take Dubois on your team for $5M X 7?

Would you take Dubois on your team for $5M /year?

• Yes

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 115 55.3%
  • Not sure but would consider

Votes: 21 10.1%

• Total voters

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Dubois is a good player and with a project, it can always turn out. Washington was done with Kuznetzov but he seems to be working with Carolina. Maybe Washington feels they are due

Reactions: banks

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
well yeah, I mean $5M in 3-4 years is almost peanuts for a 50-65P player

were talking about a $100M cap, and hes only 25 in the middle of his prime, not 33

the risk vs reward would be huge, as he may just need a different team and coach to go back to being a consistent 65P player. If hes a bust, you trade him or buy him out, as it wouldnt cost much on the cap at all.

Im not a big fan, personally, having gone through 3 teams already asking for 2 trades, but Im convinced if hes in the right city/team he could be very valuable.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Wasn't Kuznetsov a healthy scratch for a playoff game?
I wasn't aware of this but yes it seems he wasn't great in the playoffs and didn't have a lot of minutes. I just remembered him working out for the Canes during the season. I suppose perhaps he might not be fully himself again??

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
For the Oilers, there's no room in the top 6 for a player that isn't willing to muck it out in the corners and retrieve pucks given the play styles of McDrai, and there's no way to justify a 5 million dollar player in the bottom 6. Maybe being on that type of roster would be enough to spark something in him, but that's a hope and a prayer type situation.

For the Leafs, the only way to make that happen would be to move one of Tavares or Marner. While that would free up cap space to allow for more depth, I'm not sure if it'd be a net gain for the team as a whole. Sure they'd likely be able to re-sign both Bert and Domi, but I'm not sure it moves the needle enough considering PLD would end up being a direct replacement for either of the players moved.

Long story short, no.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I wasn't aware of this but yes it seems he wasn't great in the playoffs and didn't have a lot of minutes. I just remembered him working out for the Canes during the season. I suppose perhaps he might not be fully himself again??

I think he initially fit in well but then reverted to his real self as a player. His PPG and GPG was similarly low for both e Canes and Caps ( roughly or under .4 PPG - which is not what you want from an $8M player who isn't strong defensively).

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
It would be an instant "no" if his terrible season was due to age or an injury. Then there would be no real chance of a bounceback. But he just clearly didn't click with LA.

You could spend 5 million on worse players than PLD. Even if he doesn't ever hit the highs people expect of him, he could still settle in as a 50 ish point C. Even at 50 points, the guy is a unicorn with his play style.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I think he initially fit in well but then reverted to his real self as a player. His PPG and GPG was similarly low for both e Canes and Caps ( roughly or under .4 PPG - which is not what you want from an $8M player who isn't strong defensively).
as the presumed 1C he'll get the minutes and points, no question, but I think in a year or two the Caps will be a bottom 7 team going forward. The Caps are where they are, unfortunately. They were a playoff team for what, 17 years, and are now without any decent prospects other than Leonard.

If Im the Caps I start the full rebuild starting next summer.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Underrated player at this point. All these stories are overblown. Kid had one down year, so what, who does not have those? I watched him at WC and he was on the puck a lot. He is not what people say he is. He will still develop.

Seriously, hes only 25 years old.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Really depends on what my other realistic options are with that cap space. Like...can i spend that on a UFA like Chandler Stephenson or Jake DeBrusk or something instead? I'd prefer that. Or i guess in the Canucks case...it's probably going to be about twice that on Guentzel, which i don't really love. Better, more dependable player...but that much better? Not if you can get Dubois focused and on top of his game.

He's got quite the reputation at this point though. Not necessarily a "coach killer"...but a "team killer" or basically...just a guy who wears out his welcome with teams pretty quickly. Especially given his talent level when he feels like it.

The idea of having a talent like that to play with Pettersson for just $5M is really enticing though. Maybe it's fools gold, but it's so shiny. When he's on, he's exactly the kind of player you'd love to have there complementing Pettersson.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
locker room cancer as far as I am concerned.

When I saw him half-ass his shit when he played for torts in CBJ; that last shift he had was so unprofessional - i knew it right then that he only cares about himself and doesn't give a F about his teammates, organization, etc...

i will NOT even consider dubois even for a league minimum.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Underrated player at this point. All these stories are overblown. Kid had one down year, so what, who does not have those? I watched him at WC and he was on the puck a lot. He is not what people say he is. He will still develop.
He didn't even have that much of a down year at 5v5. He just was used in a different role with less PP time.

His 5v5 point totals and scoring rates were essentially identical to his last few years in Winnipeg. But his PP time dropped from 3:40 to 2:07.

Reactions: awegrzyn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad