Would you be OK with Sid/Geno playing for another NHL team?

Would you be OK with Sid/Geno playing for another NHL team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Though I don't fully agree with @AuroraBorealis, I think the POV that we should move urgently towards the next era has a lot more traction in real life than in HFBoards. It is not an out of bounds take at all.

The bullying of these past few posts is pathetic.

Outside of that, my personal opinion is that if the core wishes to stay, we should happily let them stay. If they want out, we should accommodate that. But we should make it clear to them that we are only "buying" if we think the team can make the playoffs and win at least one round.

IMO this message has already been delivered to Crosby which is why he is stewing over signing a retirement deal here or not.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Though I don't fully agree with @AuroraBorealis, I think the POV that we should move urgently towards the next era has a lot more traction in real life than in HFBoards. It is not an out of bounds take at all.

The bullying of these past few posts is pathetic.
The strangest part of all is that two of those people whining about my opinion voted like I did.
This place is a circus.
The Penguins from one era (Mario/Jagr) to another (Sid/Geno) went 17 years without a championship. That's not even considering the 1967/68 season to 1990/91 bridge of 23 years to their 1st cup.

Some people need to reevaluate their expectations and their lofty goals for the team. It's a marathon not a race. There is no easy button to push.

I've been around since the teams inception and have seen the cities championships "Many" over that span.
Right, and because it takes long you don't tack on 5 years to the process for a retirement tour when the team's window is already closed.
You simply start right away, accumulating as much to help the barren farm as you can.

My expectations are that my team should try to progress towards Cups for every year of their existence, not screw around for 5 years to honor 3 players.
That's not an unreasonable expectation either. This IS a sports team after all. They are supposed to build towards that ultimate goal. That's what employees of the team get paid handsomely to do.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The strangest part of all is that two of those people whining about my opinion voted like I did.
This place is a circus.

Right, and because it takes long you don't tack on 5 years to the process for a retirement tour when the team's window is already closed.
You simply start right away, accumulating as much to help the barren farm as you can.

My expectations are that my team should try to progress towards Cups for every year of their existence, not screw around for 5 years to honor 3 players.
That's not an unreasonable expectation either. This IS a sports team after all. They are supposed to build towards that ultimate goal. That's what employees of the team get paid handsomely to do.

Actually, it is quite fine to allow the core that has done more than anyone has ever done to go quietly into that good night. To push out guys (what you want) just to get to stage one quicker doesn't equate to getting to another championship sooner, and in fact, I'll bet they don't win another in my life time, let alone yours. So much went right for 40 years, you really don't think that is going to keep going and happen a 3rd time, do you?

Why are you in a rush to get to irrelevance?

It's about being truthful to one's actual chances.

Reactions: KareemTrustfund

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Good lord I wouldn't be okay with any of those. f*** Montreal. And f*** Detroit.

Maybe I could make an exception for Colorado I guess if Sid really wanted out.
Whether you like it or not, Sid and Letang grew up Habs fans, and Geno was a Wings fan. Now that they've won everything, if they really wanted to fulfill goals on a more personal level, they could force themselves to these teams.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
This place is a circus.
Where did you vote?
Screenshot_20240725_115401_Chrome.jpg

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Whether you like it or not, Sid and Letang grew up Habs fans, and Geno was a Wings fan. Now that they've won everything, if they really wanted to fulfill goals on a more personal level, they could force themselves to these teams.

This is the first time I heard Geno was a Wings fan growing up. Link?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is the first time I heard Geno was a Wings fan growing up. Link?

In his own words. Top of the second page.

EDIT: Also, from what I can tell, he seems to be saying that he wants to move to America so that he can have a dog, because he isn't allowed to have one in Russia.

Only makes sense with the Russian 5 in Detroit.

Federov, Konstantinov, Kozlov, Fetisov and Larionov.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Only makes sense with the Russian 5 in Detroit.

Federov, Konstantinov, Kozlov, Fetisov and Larionov.

Interesting that Sid named Yzerman his favorite player growing up.

Ironic the Wings fans hate us so much and our 2 best players had an emotional connection to your team growing up. Must be the water in Detroit that smoothes the brains...

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Anywho, the Pens got enough assets out of the Jake trade that they can afford to send one out with other assets to make a claim for a playoff spot trading for a body.

Bunting, Koivunen, Pronomarev and 44OA Brunicke.

The Pens cupboards are not quite as baron as they were last year.

I'd rather see Sid's team legacy strengthen then just watching a decade or mo.....re of just losing without a cause.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
In his own words. Top of the second page.

EDIT: Also, from what I can tell, he seems to be saying that he wants to move to America so that he can have a dog, because he isn't allowed to have one in Russia.

I mean if you're a young Russian player the age of Malkin, you're a Wings fan and it's obvious why - Larionov, Fetisov, Konstantinov, Fedorov, Kozlov, etc. It's like duh.

Most players that age idolized Fedorov or Makarov back in Russia or one of the Russian forwards Detroit had - Larionov, Kozlov, etc.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Anywho, the Pens got enough assets out of the Jake trade that they can afford to send one out with other assets to make a claim for a playoff spot trading for a body.

Bunting, Koivunen, Pronomarev and 44OA Brunicke.

The Pens cupboards are not quite as baron as they were last year.

I'd rather see Sid's team legacy strengthen then just watching a decade or mo.....re of just losing without a cause.
Do we really want to see another first round sweep? I almost think it's funnier seeing them miss for a third year in a row with Sid healthy and playing all 82 and see how Sullivan and Quinn explain that one away.

Interesting that Sid named Yzerman his favorite player growing up.

Ironic the Wings fans hate us so much and our 2 best players had an emotional connection to your team growing up. Must be the water in Detroit that smoothes the brains...
Yeah I mean Yzerman was a hero for a lot of players around Sid's age. They either were Yzerman fans, or watched old footage of Gretzky, etc. It was pretty typical of Canadian players growing up to idolize one of those Canadian legends - Yzerman, Lemieux, Gretzky, etc when born in the 80's. While the late 90's lads were Crosby fans etc.

For Malkin, it was either a hero back at home or one of the best russian players at that time - Fedorov. It's cool that Malkin passed him in points.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Do we really want to see another first round sweep? I almost think it's funnier seeing them miss for a third year in a row with Sid healthy and playing all 82 and see how Sullivan and Quinn explain that one away.

They are going to get infinite excuses regardless. This has become abundantly clear. Sullivan could coach a 5 win season and they'd blame it on Malkin and EK or something. He's utterly untouchable until at least the Olympics. And likely beyond.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
They are going to get infinite excuses regardless. This has become abundantly clear. Sullivan could coach a 5 win season and they'd blame it on Malkin and EK or something. He's utterly untouchable until at least the Olympics. And likely beyond.
I think if anything it might bother Sullivan, to be out of the playoffs 3yrs in a row and have Crosby play all 82 games 3yrs in a row, it wouldn't let him hide from the media and I think the heat being turned on to Dubas for not doing enough will finally have him say well I got him who he wanted and he still f***ed it, I'm not taking this shit and they fire Sully and Quinn.

One can dream right?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think if anything it might bother Sullivan, to be out of the playoffs 3yrs in a row and have Crosby play all 82 games 3yrs in a row, it wouldn't let him hide from the media and I think the heat being turned on to Dubas for not doing enough will finally have him say well I got him who he wanted and he still f***ed it, I'm not taking this shit and they fire Sully and Quinn.

One can dream right?

Sullivan doesn't care. He got his already, gets his ego stroked on the reg and is being paid a princely sum to come up with cliches about "goals that just didn't go in" or whatever nonsense after every loss. And Dubas is absolutely not going to be allowed to do shit about it because he's a little toady playing GM.

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Sullivan doesn't care. He got his already, gets his ego stroked on the reg and is being paid a princely sum to come up with cliches about "goals that just didn't go in" or whatever nonsense after every loss. And Dubas is absolutely not going to be allowed to do shit about it because he's a little toady playing GM.
Dubas didn't hire a GM because Sullivan is the defacto GM and Dubas is his proxy.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Actually, it is quite fine to allow the core that has done more than anyone has ever done to go quietly into that good night. To push out guys (what you want) just to get to stage one quicker doesn't equate to getting to another championship sooner, and in fact, I'll bet they don't win another in my life time, let alone yours. So much went right for 40 years, you really don't think that is going to keep going and happen a 3rd time, do you?

Why are you in a rush to get to irrelevance?

It's about being truthful to one's actual chances.
That is fine for you. You're older, have seen a ton of success in the organization, and are satisfied. I totally understand your perspective.
But that doesn't mean that what you feel and want is what's best for the organization. You need to put yourself in the shoes of others.
We're gonna have a younger generation of fans who will want to see success and commitment too.
The work isn't done for life. It never ends, or at least isn't supposed to for sports franchises.

It's pretty damn likely that utilizing 5 years to rebuild the team properly, instead of throwing them away, will lead to Cups faster. It's not a guarantee, no, but it's for sure the more intelligent approach in this situation. If the weakness in the organization is the prospect pool, you begin your labors in fixing it.
You don't procrastinate for years, like an irresponsible high schooler/young adult. That's a waste of precious time.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
"I liked our compete level," Sullivan said.*

*after each loss
Sullivan proved he doesn't care about winning anymore when he pushed to keep Reirden around, after 2 years of dragging down PP1 and the team. Reports are he freaked out at Dubas for firing him.
He is not at all the man he was in 2016. He has completely taken his eye off the ball.

A team should never roll with a coach who's not fully invested in winning. Even if we somehow snuck into the playoffs, this fact would still disgust me.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Sullivan proved he doesn't care about winning anymore when he pushed to keep Reirden around, after 2 years of dragging down PP1 and the team. Reports are he freaked out at Dubas for firing him.
He is not at all the man he was in 2016. He has completely taken his eye off the ball.

A team should never roll with a coach who's not fully invested in winning. Even if we somehow snuck into the playoffs, this fact would still disgust me.

Where are these reports?

It would suck if true. I thought Sullivan knew that Toddy was going to have to be the scapegoat from the staff this year. The fact that he has that much pull to where he thought no one was going to get fired this year is already disturbing.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Where are these reports?

It would suck if true. I thought Sullivan knew that Toddy was going to have to be the scapegoat from the staff this year. The fact that he has that much pull to where he thought no one was going to get fired this year is already disturbing.

It is true. It was supported in his most recent interview at the draft, when talking about Quinn.
He was upset about Todd being gone, talking about the human element of these firings, and how good these coaches are. He talked about disagreements with Dubas and finding common ground.
It's because he got too close to Reirden, and his relationships have become his priority.

Yeah, it is disturbing. Something is fundamentally wrong in this organization, compared to the team I grew up watching. That's what I've been trying to explain here.
It's the attitude, not the results, that bother me. The nepotism has seeped in.
But at least it was a good reality check for him.

He needs to go. This needs to be cleansed. We need a coach who Dubas doesn't revere or fear. Someone who doesn't make him make emotionally-based decisions.
There needs to be a 50/50 partnership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad