Would you be OK with Sid/Geno playing for another NHL team?

Would you be OK with Sid/Geno playing for another NHL team?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm 100% ok with something like Crosby signing his final couple of seasons to play in Colorado with Nate MacKinnon, because in the end he's playing with someone he's very good mates with and a good team that wants to win as many as they can while Nate is still young. Crosby joining them would be a cool story, Idol and Mentor winning together and from the same town.

It doesn't hurt his legacy at all, if anything it only matters to those that care how many more points he puts up in a Pens sweater vs overall, I don't give any less f***s if he is a record holder for the Pens as much as he continues to produce overall regardless of where he is.

Malkin to me is close to retirement and fine keeping, Letang should have never been kept, I like the bloke but his health issues and everything else, it was going to be a steep decline and we're starting to see it. I think Geno and Letang would understand if Sid left, but they'd probably be mad because they wanted to stay together, but in the end does it really matter?

Yzerman and Lidstrom retired as Red Wings.
Yzerman was drafted/played in the 80's while Lidstrom was drafted in basically89/ 90's and played in the 90's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I think the part that is being under-reported here in Canada (which has suddenly gone crazy with "Sid must leave Pittsburgh" talk lately), is Sullivan. If we are right about our beliefs on this matter, it is not only ownership that wants this coach here (still). It is the core. Canada does not understand this point.

Sullivan has been so toxic for this organization for six years running now, that I would actually not be completely crushed if guys like 87 and 71 were dealt. It won't happen, but that is how much he has ruined this situation for their latter years.

Ironic, isn't it? This core wants to keep this head coach at all costs because they won with him, and it is this coach that has killed any shot they had of getting back to winning again.
Most of the stuff said on here is pure fantasy. There isn’t a poster here who knows exactly how those players feel about Mike Sullivan. For all we know, they hate him but are too professional to get him fired. Canada knows just as much as we do.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Yzerman was drafted/played in the 80's while Lidstrom was drafted in basically89/ 90's and played in the 90's.
If they played 10+ seasons together, it counts. In this case they played what, 20 seasons together?

That's valid enough mate.

I mean you can honestly go with Yzerman, Lidstrom and Zetterberg all played together and retired as Red Wings. Throw in Holmstrom as well, why not. Yzerman won 3 with Lidstrom, Lidstrom won 4, Zetterberg won 1, and Holmstrom won 4 with Lidstrom. So you have 3 life long wings players that won 3 cups together at least, 2 that won 4 together. Does it really f***ing matter?

What my point is, is that it's a f***ing stupid ass feat and no one truly gives a flying f*** about it, because it's absolutely ridiculous and f***ing moronic trivia stat that wankers like Yohe, Blob, Getzoff and tossers like that, love to throw out as being special when it truly isn't at all.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Sid is a 1OA as is Kane. Kane was moved at the TDL of his final year under contract. Has now signed a pair of 1 year deals with Detroit. New regime in chicago and there's no one else left from their last cup win in 2015. And clearly, are not in a position to return to the POs. Detroit isn't exactly a great team either but better chances than in Chicago.

And Sid, being a year and bit older than Kane has performed better of late as well.
So really up to Sid to make the call. If he's done after this season, stay and retire a Penguin IMO.

If he's wanting to play longer than this season, I'd rather see him leave and finish his career on a higher note. I mean, with the Rise of Allen in Buffalo, Brady also saw the end of the patriots dynasty and landed in the weaker NFC South with an aging Brees and Ryan and injured Cam as better roads to a SB.
There's not much left from the Penguins 2017 cup.

Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Rust, and Jarry (he played 1 game that year). If Dubas moves Jarry soon, then it's just 4.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There's not much left from the Penguins 2017 cup.

Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Rust, and Jarry (he played 1 game that year). If Dubas moves Jarry soon, then it's just 4.
Sid's call. So if he does choose to extend with Pitt, that's the end of the discussion. Should no longer talk about him going elsewhere. Just let the man play out his career in Pitt. Even if that ends up with no further PO appearances for Sid for the balance of his career.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Sid's call. So if he does choose to extend with Pitt, that's the end of the discussion. Should no longer talk about him going elsewhere. Just let the man play out his career in Pitt. Even if that ends up with no further PO appearances for Sid for the balance of his career.
I think deep down, he might think it's cool to end his career with one team, but on the other hand he's done literally everything a player sets out to do in his career. His trophy case is ridiculous, he has 3 cup rings, Gold medals in the Olympics, etc. If he decided that you know what, now that the day has come where this team is in a rebuild mode and not a contender, I think I maybe don't want to re-sign. That to me is fine, his legend as a Penguin will never change.

I think it was easier for Yzerman, Lidstrom and Holstrom to stay and ride it out, they always made the playoffs, they had a ton of success and kept turning over the roster to keep being competitive. Only Zetterberg in his final 2 seasons did they start to miss the playoffs and I am sure Zetterberg probably wishes it was different, who knows.

All I am saying is that the one team thing is blown out of proportion, if Sid wants to leave, he shouldn't be hated on for the decision.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think deep down, he might think it's cool to end his career with one team, but on the other hand he's done literally everything a player sets out to do in his career. His trophy case is ridiculous, he has 3 cup rings, Gold medals in the Olympics, etc. If he decided that you know what, now that the day has come where this team is in a rebuild mode and not a contender, I think I maybe don't want to re-sign. That to me is fine, his legend as a Penguin will never change.
He'd be better off not using up the 24/25 season as well. Unless he is ok with a TDL move. And continue playing as well afterwards.

If he's done after this upcoming season, just stay and retire a Penguin. Play in 25/26, best to go somewhere else in 24/25 as well.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
He'd be better off not using up the 24/25 season as well. Unless he is ok with a TDL move. And continue playing as well afterwards.

If he's done after this upcoming season, just stay and retire a Penguin. Play in 25/26, best to go somewhere else in 24/25 as well.
Sid loves Sullivan a ton as a coach, well this is what you get when you prioritize feelings over rationale, that coach he likes so much is the reason if he stays, he won't see the playoffs again for the rest of his career.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sid loves Sullivan a ton as a coach, well this is what you get when you prioritize feelings over rationale, that coach he likes so much is the reason if he stays, he won't see the playoffs again for the rest of his career.
Realistically Sid can’t have his cake and eat it too in Pitt. Either it’s retire a career penguin but without any further PO appearances or go somewhere else to finish the career and play in the PO.

The team just isn’t good enough. Took a big swing with EK and didn’t work.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Realistically Sid can’t have his cake and eat it too in Pitt. Either it’s retire a career penguin but without any further PO appearances or go somewhere else to finish the career and play in the PO.

The team just isn’t good enough. Took a big swing with EK and didn’t work.
We all know why EK hasn't worked...

t6a7CPD.png

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I'm torn. On one hand I want both to be Penguins lifers. What a way to add to their legacies.
On the other hand, the team sorely needs a rebuild ASAP. The roster is bad, and the core players are clearly past their prime. We lose with Sid and Geno and we certainly can lose without them too.

At this point we're stuck in purgatory for the next 3-4 years or until Sid and Geno decide to leave.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I use to hate the concept but the idea of the next five years of treading water I think I hate more.

No cups, or playoffs. No rebuilding. Just a nostalgia parade for years. In my opinion that’s worse than seeing them in another jersey.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Stamkos doesn't feel as weird moving teams, because he got surpassed as the face of the Tampa Franchise by both Kucherov AND Vasi.

There hasn't been another superstar to come into Pittsburgh and push Sid into the background.
Hextall, Burke, Dubass and new oweners sucked ass building a team around this chosen core for the least 5 years.
It's easy to say the core is old.......But reality is..... this team has sucked since Sid was 32.
Bruins
put a good team around old dogs like Bergevin, Chara, Krejci, Rask for years. Staying competitive. Now they are all gone and Bs are still a damn good team and a tough out come plsy offs.
Pens shoukd have been able to do same.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
At this point they’ve been in Pittsburgh this long I’d like to see them retire as Penguins. Geno I wouldn’t mind as much but I kinda see him going to the KHL more than I see him on another team.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I don't think there's any way geno voluntarily goes to KHL. Not in THIS current economic climate. It's one thing to play for Moscow when they're pouring Gazprom money into everyone's pockets... There's no way russian companies are sponsoring hard right now...

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't think there's any way geno voluntarily goes to KHL. Not in THIS current economic climate. It's one thing to play for Moscow when they're pouring Gazprom money into everyone's pockets... There's no way russian companies are sponsoring hard right now...

I always thought Geno would end his career with Magnitogorsk, but then Russia went from BRIC back to 3rd world. Now he'll finish in the NHL, almost certainly here.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad