Would the Devils consider trading Schneider?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
If goalies were indeed "dime a dozen" commodity, then teams like St. Louis/Philadelphia and other teams would of won a few cups by now.

Let's not dismiss one of the Devils greatest strengths because it doesn't fit your Devils bashing as Devils fans.

And how many combined cups have the Rangers, Canadians, Predators, and Devils won lately or whomever is considered to have the best goalies?

I didn't realize that being a Devils fan meant that we all have to see hockey the same way (and what has that got to do with Schneider being our biggest strength which he is right now). We're all trying to come up with ways to improve our team. It's just that some of us think that trading Schneider might be the best way to accomplish that since it's not that big of a stretch to say that after defense the next place we could afford to part with an asset is in goal.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Kings won 2 recently and had an elite goalie
Rangers were in the finals last year and the ECF recently as well- have an elite goalie
Crawford is NOT an elite goalie but the Blackhawks are probably the best roster in the NHL
Boston- has an elite goalie

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
And how many combined cups have the Rangers, Canadians, Predators, and Devils won lately or whomever is considered to have the best goalies?

I didn't realize that being a Devils fan meant that we all have to see hockey the same way (and what has that got to do with Schneider being our biggest strength which he is right now). We're all trying to come up with ways to improve our team. It's just that some of us think that trading Schneider might be the best way to accomplish that since it's not that big of a stretch to say that after defense the next place we could afford to part with an asset is in goal.

Devil fans seemingly have a psychosis with the goaltender position. This isn't a 25 year old Martin Brodeur with puck skills we're talking about. It's a 30 year old Cory Schneider on a bad team.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
It's an interesting hypothetical but there is no chance he is moved after we moved heaven and earth to acquire him and extend him long term, not with how this team values goalies.

GhostofKenKlee

Because LL would deal Cory Schneider after acquiring him for a ninth overall and signing him to a large long term contract. At some point, logic must apply to all the MMQB going on here.

Bruins and Kings say hello to you as ZBC mentions above. But hey, let's weaken the team in a large way to improve the team in another way.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Kings won 2 recently and had an elite goalie
Rangers were in the finals last year and the ECF recently as well- have an elite goalie
Crawford is NOT an elite goalie but the Blackhawks are probably the best roster in the NHL
Boston- has an elite goalie

I said won it not got close. That opens up a whole different realm. And you gave me the same guy twice. I know Boston fans who don't like Rask by the way.

What's the point? I can find great teams who've had success with average-type goalies (or goalies who came out of nowhere that surprised everyone) and you can find teams that are goalie-driven. Like I said about 20 responses ago, there is no singular way to build a team or right answer. Just different approaches and philosophies.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would trade Cory to Vancouver for a first and Ryan Miller.

At least we know we're getting an elite goalie with Miller coming back.

GhostofKenKlee

Bruins fans may not like Tuuka Rask (I'm sure you will find a few), but he is elite. Who cares really what the fans think of a guy that puts up elite numbers? What does that even mean in the conversation.

But hey, Clemmensen could just plug in and will teams to wins.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Cory Schneider's value is relative to the surrounding cast around him. Ergo, he's not worth as much to the devils as he would be to the blues, who could actually place him in a position to win.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Bruins fans may not like Tuuka Rask (I'm sure you will find a few), but he is elite. Who cares really what the fans think of a guy that puts up elite numbers? What does that even mean in the conversation.

But hey, Clemmensen could just plug in and will teams to wins.

It means that the Bruins fans I know think that they should have won a Cup during his years in goal and place part of the blame on him not getting it done in crunch time.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I said won it not got close. That opens up a whole different realm. And you gave me the same guy twice. I know Boston fans who don't like Rask by the way.

What's the point? I can find great teams who've had success with average-type goalies (or goalies who came out of nowhere that surprised everyone) and you can find teams that are goalie-driven. Like I said about 20 responses ago, there is no singular way to build a team or right answer. Just different approaches and philosophies.

go ahead, I'd love to hear.

the Blackhawks have arguably the best roster in the NHL. thats why they won Cups. if you want to argue that as your caveat, be my guest. "you can only win Cups with average goalies if you have the best roster in the league" :laugh:

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
Anaheim and Calgary are in the 2nd rd and look who they got in net. Same with the Caps IF they advance. No need to explain Crawford.

This club is likely to suck for the another year or two and you gotta ask yourself is it worth keeping him here to waste his good years on a poor team when goalies worse than him go deep in the playoffs? This isn't MB30 on the verge of legit superstardom already off the heels of the ECF. That said there are a select few I would trade him for ice McDavid, Stamkos , Hall, etc.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
go ahead, I'd love to hear.

the Blackhawks have arguably the best roster in the NHL. thats why they won Cups. if you want to argue that as your caveat, be my guest. "you can only win Cups with average goalies if you have the best roster in the league" :laugh:

So I guess either the Habs, Rangers or Hawks win the Cup this year 100% guaranteed because they have the remaining "elite" goalies and/or the best roster? Maybe we should just cancel the rest of the playoffs.

What's the point of trying to continue this anyway? If I say Giguere for example, then we're just going to start arguing over where he ranked as a goalie, etc.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Anaheim and Calgary are in the 2nd rd and look who they got in net. Same with the Caps IF they advance. No need to explain Crawford.

This club is likely to suck for the another year or two and you gotta ask yourself is it worth keeping him here to waste his good years on a poor team when goalies worse than him go deep in the playoffs? This isn't MB30 on the verge of legit superstardom already off the heels of the ECF. That said there are a select few I would trade him for ice McDavid, Stamkos , Hall, etc.

There's a LOT of 'non-elite' goalies in the West playoffs and Quick didn't make the postseason, of course one of the non elite's are coming out of the West now that Rinne's gone. But saying you can win without an elite goalie is like saying you can win without a 55+ point scorer. Sure in theory you can but the percentage of it happening is not high. You need to be perfect everywhere else or get 'lucky' to find a no-name goalie that gets on a roll...and for every team that gets a no-name goalie on a roll, ten don't. It took Minnesota like five tries over the last three years to get Dubnyk and if they struck out on him they don't make the postseason.

And like I said the other day, the benefit of having Cory nobody seems to acknowledge is having him to lean on for the young D while they learn to play. Unless you wanted to see Merrill and Severson be -30's this year instead of -15.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think people are answering two different questions here. First is the question in the thread title: Would the Devils consider trading Schneider? Given Lou's team building philosophies (from the net out in a nutshell), what he gave up to acquire, and the extension Schneider was recently signed to, it doesn't look very likely that Lou, who currently makes those sorts of decisions for the Devils, would consider moving Schneider, especially not for a forward of Oshie's caliber.

The second question is: Should the Devils consider trading Schneider? The answer to that may very well come down to team building philosophies that can differ. Personally, I'm not convinced that the Devils should change their whole organizational philosophy and try to become masters of another when LA and Boston still show that the model we are most familiar with still works. I understand that other fans feel differently, but once again, as long as Lou is here, I doubt we'll see a total overhaul in organizational philosophy.

My perspective is fans who expect that might very well be setting themselves up for more misery, so in the end, the debate of whether Cory should be traded to me seems very much akin to arguing how many angels can dance around on the edge of a pinhead, since, right now, I just don't see it as remotely likely to happen with Lou in charge.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think people are answering two different questions here. First is the question in the thread title: Would the Devils consider trading Schneider? Given Lou's team building philosophies (from the net out in a nutshell), what he gave up to acquire, and the extension Schneider was recently signed to, it doesn't look very likely that Lou, who currently makes those sorts of decisions for the Devils, would consider moving Schneider, especially not for a forward of Oshie's caliber.

The second question is: Should the Devils consider trading Schneider? The answer to that may very well come down to team building philosophies that can differ. Personally, I'm not convinced that the Devils should change their whole organizational philosophy and try to become masters of another when LA and Boston still show that the model we are most familiar with still works. I understand that other fans feel differently, but once again, as long as Lou is here, I doubt we'll see a total overhaul in organizational philosophy.

My perspective is fans who expect that might very well be setting themselves up for more misery, so in the end, the debate of whether Cory should be traded to me seems very much akin to arguing how many angels can dance around on the edge of a pinhead, since, right now, I just don't see it as remotely likely to happen with Lou in charge.

It's also a bit unseemly so many people are in a hurry to trade Cory when he hasn't even played a game yet under his extension...if we want FA's to sign and stay here, pulling a Holmgren isn't the best way to start.

If you had a great defense I could see trying the merry-go-goalie route more than now when we still kind of need great goaltending to help the young D along. When this D gets built up to being great THEN talk to me about the plug-and-play goalie approach...which doesn't work nearly as much as is made out to be. But trading Cory now gives you an average goalie behind a still developing D.

GhostofKenKlee

How many plug and play goalies are out there? Again, tell the Flyers, Blues, Canucks and other teams how goalies just don't matter.

Carey Price has been awesome the last two years.

Lundqvist has willed his team and grown with core of players.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Devil fans seemingly have a psychosis with the goaltender position. This isn't a 25 year old Martin Brodeur with puck skills we're talking about. It's a 30 year old Cory Schneider on a bad team.

If anything, more people around here have a psychosis over improving the offense at any cost, hence the nine million trade Cory posts this year.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
If anything, more people around here have a psychosis over improving the offense at any cost, hence the nine million trade Cory posts this year.

Trading Larsson would be more alarming than trading Schneider given their respective ages and position. Schneider is completely expendable as opposed to a 22 year old defenseman that is improving.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
It's also a bit unseemly so many people are in a hurry to trade Cory when he hasn't even played a game yet under his extension...if we want FA's to sign and stay here, pulling a Holmgren isn't the best way to start.

If you had a great defense I could see trying the merry-go-goalie route more than now when we still kind of need great goaltending to help the young D along. When this D gets built up to being great THEN talk to me about the plug-and-play goalie approach...which doesn't work nearly as much as is made out to be. But trading Cory now gives you an average goalie behind a still developing D.

I think we would be doing him a favor. I can safely assume by year 4, those all familiar press conferences will be a personal living hell for him. Does he really want to play for a lottery team? There are certainly players like that in the NHL but Schneider doesn't strike me as one of them.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Trading Larsson would be more alarming than trading Schneider given their respective ages and position. Schneider is completely expendable as opposed to a 22 year old defenseman that is improving.

If Schneider is expendable, why do so many teams choke in the playoffs when the goalie isn't good enough? Pittsburgh couldn't win with their all-star team when Fleury was floundering.

Goaltending is the most important position in the playoffs. On no planet is Schneider "expendable".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad