Would Semin fit here?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Problem with trading for Semin is the cap room we'll have for the following years, when we need to re-sign all of our RFAs/vet UFAs. I guess we can make trades to free space. Still...

Moen and Bourque roughly take up 5 mil total. We should have about 10mill free for next year. That's with Galchenyuk, Malhotra, Gallagher, Tinordi, Weaver, Beaulieu and Bournival contracts getting off the books. All our pieces we want to keep and build with. I kind of would like to keep these guys. Seeing as Galchenyuk and Gallagher will most likely get bridge contracts (or more if Bergevin caves), Tinordi and Beaulieu may also get one each if they can keep up their pace/play better. That takes up space fast.

I'm thinking we'd probably have to trade Gallagher in a package in order to acquire Semin. Thing is, Carolina's probably looking for young talent/picks for where they're at right now. Not sure we want to give either at that contract, even though we know Semin can score and he fills a gap as a RW.

Problem also is, we need bodies to put in front of the net. We aren't bothering opposing goaltenders enough. Only Gallagher's a nuisance. And lets face it, even though he annoys a lot and creates chances, his size makes him less of a problem when so many goalies tower over him.

I'd like to keep Gallagher. I would like to have Semin, depending on the cost. But we need able bodies to piss off opposing defensemen/goalies and score rebound goals.

They don't have any centermen as both Stall's are injured if I recall correctly. Though they probably don't want a long term contract center unless if he's really worth it.

As you said, Moen and Bourque take up $5M. If you can get Carolina to retain around $1M, then Semin coming here doesn't create any cap space problem whatsoever. If we acquire him later in the year, even less so, since we would have accumulated cap space.

Bournival and Semin step in for Moen and Bourque in our roster.

Everything works out fine for this. He wouldn't cost a whole lot. Maybe a 1st or a solid prospect like a Collberg-type maybe. Perhaps less than that.

For the coming years, I wouldn't worry about our cap either. One of Eller or Desharnais will need to be dealt anyway. The cap will rise. Emelin or Gilbert can be dealt away in a Gorges-like deal if need be. If you think Bergevin would deal Gallagher you're delusionnal!

If push comes to shove you can also shift Semin away next summer if you'd rather. No problem with that.

Semin's skillset will fit with Galchenyuk. It would be an interesting match. I would love to try something like this.

Suppose we deal 1st + Bourque to CAR for Semin
Moen to wherever for a 7th
Bournival in

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I just don't see where he'd fit into the lineup unless a center is being moved. Not that he's a center but if we're adding another top 6 player or even top 9, imo it's time to move a center to give Galchenyuk his place on the team.

I'm pretty sure he's just not a good fit in terms of our current makeup. For one we'd probably need a #2 LW no? We have PAP and Gallagher as our natural RW and I believe both are perfectly valid top 6 players. PAP is the type who can glue a line together and Gallagher too. Both fit well on lines with "duos". They play the 3rd wheel well. On the other hand for left wing we have Pacioretty and Bourque. Bourque has been playing like a 3rd liner and producing like a 4th. I realize 1 center is being rotated to wing, but if we could unload a center + prospect/pick for a natural LW who is big and scores goals, we'd be set.

If we're looking for a potentially available young player I say Boedker but he'll come at a price. MacArthur is overpaid but would have been a good fit imo. Mason Raymond could've been a cheap pickup but may have been Bourque 2.0

Maybe inquire about Nick Foligno if CBJ starts to struggle, Andrew Ladd like another poster pointed out. I have no issue with getting Semin because if we do I'd be willing to bet he plays well here and they find a place for him, but the other choices may come cheaper or if not just simply be better choices.

The problem is neither PAP nor Gallagher are bonafide top 6's. We want them to be but they aren't.
The names people keep dropping aren't available and aren't likely to be available.
Can you imagine if we had to trade for Kovalev instead of getting him as a rental?
We never would have done it. He turned out to be pretty good when we needed him.
If the Canes take some of our crap and eat some salary do it...

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Saying he has done nothing since leaving Washington is a flat out lie. He was actually really good in his first couple years in Carolina, especially the first year.

Umm he has only been in Carolina for two season. He had a good lockout shortened season, a contract season mind you, and last year was average at best. This season has started terribly. I would not touch this guy with a 10 foot pole.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
As LG said, there would have to be some salary/bodies going the other way. And that would most likely be Eller + Bourque or something like that.

DD+Bourque for Semin would just solve too many problems for us. I doubt it happens that way. But who knows? :laugh:

And again, Semin is on a big contract and is notoriously inconsistant. So it's not like it would make us contenders either.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
In the press box? No thanks.

From what I heard, the guy is one the most selfish player in the league. We don't need him in Montreal.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If the deal isn't something like

Semin (2.5 mil retained)
for
Bourque
Moen

I wouldn't bother with it.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Go back to a two years again and everyone that's saying no here would be panting over signing him long-term. :laugh:

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
As you said, Moen and Bourque take up $5M. If you can get Carolina to retain around $1M, then Semin coming here doesn't create any cap space problem whatsoever. If we acquire him later in the year, even less so, since we would have accumulated cap space.

Bournival and Semin step in for Moen and Bourque in our roster.

Everything works out fine for this. He wouldn't cost a whole lot. Maybe a 1st or a solid prospect like a Collberg-type maybe. Perhaps less than that.

For the coming years, I wouldn't worry about our cap either. One of Eller or Desharnais will need to be dealt anyway. The cap will rise. Emelin or Gilbert can be dealt away in a Gorges-like deal if need be. If you think Bergevin would deal Gallagher you're delusionnal!

If push comes to shove you can also shift Semin away next summer if you'd rather. No problem with that.

Semin's skillset will fit with Galchenyuk. It would be an interesting match. I would love to try something like this.

Suppose we deal 1st + Bourque to CAR for Semin
Moen to wherever for a 7th
Bournival in

That's basically what I'm saying. If we manage to trade Bourque+Moen somehow, then for this year, there isn't an issue. There will be an issue with cap at the end of the season in order to re-sign the UFAs and RFAs we want. UNLESS we get rid of other contracts.

Having to go down to the cap puts us at a position of weakness in a trade, just like Boston trading Boychuck for 2 2nd rounders. We'll have to give other valuables while trading Moen+Bourque and more, maybe picks.

Semin's got the talent to score no doubt. But I'd rather have that big body player that stands in front of the net, annoys their goalie and defensemen, all the while good at scoring on rebounds.

We aren't shooting enough. When we're shooting, most are easy for the goalie to save against because he isn't bothered most of the time. Opposing defenses also feel more comfortable positionnally as we don't have much of a threat in front of the crease. I love Gallagher, he's the only one really being aggressive and annoying the goalies. But he isn't a 1st line player and his size definitely doesn't make him as much of a threat as he could be. We need that guy that pushes opposing defensemen, blocks the goalies sight, hard to move and knows how to score on rebounds or deflect them. I don't think Semin is that guy.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I think he's a guy who could find his game again with another club, but no way you take that chance with that contract. It could really destroy the team.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
As a player, maybe. I don't like Semin much but he'd be more or less another Vanek. More scoring depth on the wings with the ability to be a gamebreaker on the odd occasion. I still feel that's a hole we need to fill.

But with that contract? I wouldn't go near him.

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
If the deal isn't something like

Semin (2.5 mil retained)
for
Bourque
Moen

I wouldn't bother with it.

Do you guys seriously think Semin is that worthless? None of you who are offering Bourque+Moen for Semin have a grasp of reality outside the habs or you simply value our players too highly

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Is he a perfect fit? No.
Would he make us better? Yes.

People get worked up on the cap hit but it's really not that bad since we can send crappy players back.

Let's say we trade them Bourque, Desharnais and a pick. From our point of view, there's barely any cap difference this season or next. The year after that it's an extra 3m, and the year after that a 7m commitment. So it's really not as big a deal as it seems.

From Carolina's point of view, if they buy out Bourque after this season (They still have both compliance buyouts I think). They save almost nothing this season, but after that they save almost 3m for the next 2 years, and then 7m the year after that. That's 13m over 3 years, which for a budget team like Carolina is big money.

It really all comes down to whether Carolina just wants to get rid of him, or wants something good back.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Do you guys seriously think Semin is that worthless? None of you who are offering Bourque+Moen for Semin have a grasp of reality outside the habs or you simply value our players too highly

No one values Bourque and Moen highly, that's the point. They're just saying they're not interested in Semin unless we can unload some of our garbage too. If the Hurricanes don't like it, fine, no deal.

Analyzer*

Anyone else love how when someone who's garbage on another team automatically gets a thread here ?

Waivers ? Let's get that player!
Playing absolutely terrible and costing a ton? Let's get that player!

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
7MM with 4 years left, 20 goal a year player that was a healthy scratch and has zero goals this year. Ya he'd be a perfect fit.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Anyone else love how when someone who's garbage on another team automatically gets a thread here ?

Waivers ? Let's get that player!
Playing absolutely terrible and costing a ton? Let's get that player!
Buy low and sell high. Semin is not a garbage player. He's just got a ridiculous salary. Is he worth that money? **** no. But that doesn't mean he's not worth picking up if we get to unload our garbage on him.

Bork is useless and DD should be replaced anyway. They're a good fit on Carolina where they're rebuilding anyway. They unload an albatross for two cheaper deals. We get the better player. Yes, its a gamble but its not like this guy is going to be completely useless here.

I remember saying the same thing about Jeff Carter that others are saying about Semin now and look how that guy's done. 7 mil for three years after this one isn't that bad. And we mitigate it by dealing away salary anyway.

Yes, this makes sense but ONLY if Carolina takes garbage back. If it's anything substantial then forget about it.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Who cares what we think, Carolina doesn't seem to think he's worth much, was a healthy scratch this year on a line up that the guys in our press box could crack. In 117 games with Carolina, Semin has 35 goals. He hasn't cracked 22 since 2011, and has 4 years left at 7MM.

I wouldn't give Bourque / Moen up for him as that would only move our cap issues down the road. I bet Carolina would take that in a heartbeat, they are not making the playoffs and it would save them over 15MM over the next 4 years, more if they could move Bork.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I know I just made a thread on the trade forums about this, but I didn't really think about it thoroughly. I want to discuss it here with you guys.

Obviously he has a huge cap (7M) and is signed for 4 more years.

That being said, he does have talent. Vanek's departure created a huge hole in our offense. We do need an elite scorer.

So let's discuss this.

Also, maybe just a little detail, but you should be careful with your wording.

Like, don't go asking "Would a big D fit here?"

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
We can forget it anyways, he's just not a Bergevin player. The idea was to build through the draft. Adding an overpaid, one-dimensional selfish player is not a smart move.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Buy low and sell high. Semin is not a garbage player. He's just got a ridiculous salary. Is he worth that money? **** no. But that doesn't mean he's not worth picking up if we get to unload our garbage on him.

Bork is useless and DD should be replaced anyway. They're a good fit on Carolina where they're rebuilding anyway. They unload an albatross for two cheaper deals. We get the better player. Yes, its a gamble but its not like this guy is going to be completely useless here.

I remember saying the same thing about Jeff Carter that others are saying about Semin now and look how that guy's done. 7 mil for three years after this one isn't that bad. And we mitigate it by dealing away salary anyway.

Yes, this makes sense but ONLY if Carolina takes garbage back. If it's anything substantial then forget about it.

For once, I agree with LG.

Habs are a good fit for Semin. We need a top line RW. We have to play Galchenyuk on a sheltered line with our best elements. Semin on our top line, not having to rely on his 2-way play but ONLY offense, I could see him going back in the 60 points range.

He's playing terrible right now, it's time now to get him at a lower value. I remember not so long ago he was MONEY with the 'canes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad