OT: Would a NBA team succeed in Montreal?

many76

Sep 20, 2014
No need for a stadium is a big plus, you can use the Bell center.
Still would need $150 to $200 million upgrade for the team, plus another $200 million for a nba practice facility and of course $4 billion US for the expansion fee, that is why Montreal and Vancouver will NOT get a NBA team, I don’t any Canadian billionaire spending that kind of money,

Reactions: rickthegoon

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
You keep bringing up this anecdote as if there is any conclusion that should be drawn from it other than that the supposed player in question is painfully stupid.

Again, I'll repeat: how familiar are you with Montreal and its boroughs? Are you from the city? If so, which part? Like, even in the context of a player believing a wrong thing, you act as if folks can't be corrected about places they don't know. It's an absurd stance.
Not from Montreal and don't live there. From my limited experiences visiting there it's a great place and easy for people to enjoy and live in. And from many people , it's a terrific city.

I also know, as it gets talked about here often, in the hockey context , that many hockey players don't like coming to Canada in general, but also specifically to Montreal for a variety of reasons ( taxes, language, media scrutiny , crazy fans- which I grant you most may not apply to basketball ). But we understand many players have Canada as a no trade place.

I also know, because it's stated as a problem by people in the know, and from what I see, aside from dumb young kids, that top basketball players do not sign in Toronto. I'm guessing, but maybe I'm absurd, that the Raptors have tried and try to correct people about Canada and the Raptors. Seems to not have worked these past few decades.

So no, I'm not absurd. It's fair and reasoned comment.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Still would need $150 to $200 million upgrade for the team, plus another $200 million for a nba practice facility and of course $4 billion US for the expansion fee, that is why Montreal and Vancouver will NOT get a NBA team, I don’t any Canadian billionaire spending that kind of money,

Genuine question but why would 150 to 200 million be needed to upgrade the Bell Center? Aren't they already hosting pre-season games every year? What upgrades would be needed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
this is a good point , but its why your market it only to Montreal and its surrounding area , no need for the people out there to come and see it

Maybe not the city of Montreal but go around a bit outside the city, lol let's not kid ourselves , les gens de souche en région c'est pas pareil que ceux qui habite et grandissent en ville

Yeah, maybe for TV it's good that the entire province would essentially work as a market but even in terms of putting butts in seats a city population of 1.8 million and metro pop of 4.3 is more than enough to fill seats. Pretty sure population wise Montreal would be a top-10 market size right away.

Off the top of my head, you'd have New York, LA, Toronto, Dallas, Miami as bigger. I might be missing one or two but that's about it. Houston and the larger Philadelphia area as well maybe?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
$4 billion is probably requiring a major corporate player. Don't think it can be a single individual. Plus, given that both Bell and Rogers arena are both privately built by the NHL owners, they need to be in on it as well. While Celtics and Sixers have been tenants for Bruins/Flyers, not sure if that is going to be how the NBA teams want to go. Even the Sixers are looking to build their own arena now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad