OT: Would a NBA team succeed in Montreal?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The Montreal Canadiens ownership group should be behind an NBA application because they already own the building and this is one more use for the building. Otherwise, it gets complicated.
It's literally the only way it CAN be done at all. The Bell center is the main piece of the puzzle.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
They are not even comparable. Longevity means nothing when you realize Lebron has dominated less and won less while playing far more games. That longevity didn't get him close to matching Jordan's most impressive feats. Longevity also often happens when players are chasing something, which MJ didn't need, as he had already conquered everything.

Seasons where MJ lead both ppg and total points in both season and playoffs, while also being named defensive 1st team: 8

He also did it 5 times in a row. It will take a long time before anyone gets close to either record. Would probably have done it 10 times in a row if he didnt quit for baseball.

Lebron: 0
Actually, remove the Defensive 1st team nominations and it's still a big fat zero. Lebron had the 2nd most season points 8xtimes, leader only once. 2nd in season ppg 3xtimes, lead only once. Lead playoff points 6xtimes, ppg 3xtimes and lead both only two times. All this in 10 finals appearance.

Wait, you might say! Jordan lead playoff PPG and points 8 times, but only went to the finals 6 times, what gives??? Well Jordan was so dominant he lead both ppg and points while losing in the conference finals the last two years before he won it all. In 89, he lead by 219 points over James worthy. In 90, he lead by 138 points over Drexler. Only Kevin Durant has accomplished this feat once, by 15 points over Lebron in 2014.

In the playoffs, MJ (179 gp) beat both his best opponent and best teammate in points 72% of the time. Lebron 266 gp (before this past season, one which doesnt help Lebron's case) did it 58% of the games. MJ beat his best opponent in 75% of games . Lebron 63%. MJ beat his best teammate 92% of the time. Lebron 75%.

The differences become even more glarring in the finals. MJ beat both (opp & teammate) 71% of the games. Lebron 42%. MJ beat his best opponent 74% of games. Lebron 48%. MJ beat his teammate 92% of the games. Lebron 73%. Lebron's pre-finals vs finals shows he performs much better in pre-finals. For Jordan, it's the opposite.

Contrarily to popular belief, MJ's #1 opponent scored more (24.8 ppg) than Lebron's #1 opponent in the finals (23.0 ppg). For the rest of the playoffs, it's the opposite.

Jordan had 35 finals games. Lebron had 50. Most 35+ pts games 13vs4. Most 30+ pts games 28vs18. Most games under 25 pts 0vs10. Most games scoring 35+% of team points 12vs4. Most games scoring 30+% of team points 30vs16. Under 25% of team points 0vs12.

In his 6 championships, MJ had to go through a top 3 team 10xtimes. In 4 championships, Lebron went through top 3 teams, 3xtimes.

Jordan is the only finals MVP who had only one 10+ ppg teammate in both the entire playoff and finals (1997).

Even if you include a 2ppg for each assist in the playoffs, Jordan still beats Lebron. In fact Jordan had the best finals appearance between the two in terms of assists, with 11.4 apg in 1991.

I could spend hours giving you other stats and arguments.

When it comes to dominating and winning, Jordan's peak flatout beats the entirety of Lebron's long career.

Also, if you pick Lebron, expect him to leave way sooner for another team.
What do you make of Pippen's impact on the Bulls/MJ during his tenure? Just asking, I don't follow enough bball to really try and make a case for who's the goat or not.

One thing is for certain though. Pippen def is the GOAT cuck. That shit with his ex and MJ's son is hilarious.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
What do you make of Pippen's impact on the Bulls/MJ during his tenure? Just asking, I don't follow enough bball to really try and make a case for who's the goat or not.

One thing is for certain though. Pippen def is the GOAT cuck. That shit with his ex and MJ's son is hilarious.

Pippen didn't have the offensive impact of a Wade or Irving or Anthony.

All in all, Pippen became an MJ mini-clone because MJ took him under his wing, molded him. Made him the champ he became. Jordan flatout dominated the season and playoffs way before Pip became relevant. They just had a shit team where MJ carried most of the load both offensively and defensively and you can't win without support.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I couldn't care less about the NBA and doubt I'd pay to go see a game.

I know the league is very popular but I'm not sure how well it would do here.

For one, players already don't want to sign in Toronto. Throw the whole French thing and it'll be even more difficult to attract players. Having a losing team for years here also wouldn't be great at attracting casuals to the game.

Anyway I'm team MLB since I prefer the sport but I think that ship has sailed at this point too.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I couldn't care less about the NBA and doubt I'd pay to go see a game.

I know the league is very popular but I'm not sure how well it would do here.

For one, players already don't want to sign in Toronto. Throw the whole French thing and it'll be even more difficult to attract players. Having a losing team for years here also wouldn't be great at attracting casuals to the game.

Anyway I'm team MLB since I prefer the sport but I think that ship has sailed at this point too.

Basketball has blown up with the youth here and Canada (including Montreal) has started to really produce NBA talent.

Some players may be turned off by the French but they also don't need to speak it to live here, just like any other Hab player. The preseason games definitely get a full house and rowdy crowd. But winning is important like for any team.

Regarding FAs I wouldn't be worried. A bunch of recent winners like Toronto, Denver and Milwaukee aren't marquee destinations either.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
CEBL season started ...why not go see their games? I do. Cheap and good basketball. We signed an ex-Detroit Piston too.

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
Montreal Historically is a Baseball City! Bleacher seats in any Baseball City are still only a Few Bucks. If Molson wanted to share the Arena? I Know that Leafs and Raptors work in Toronto, But same owners.... Building was built for both .. . Even Utah says that it needs to build a 2nd Arena, Yes Basketball could work, but the prices would be a ton, ask Toronto what tix cost!

Reactions: the

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Montreal Historically is a Baseball City! Bleacher seats in any Baseball City are still only a Few Bucks. If Molson wanted to share the Arena? I Know that Leafs and Raptors work in Toronto, But same owners.... Building was built for both .. . Even Utah says that it needs to build a 2nd Arena, Yes Basketball could work, but the prices would be a ton, ask Toronto what tix cost!
Is there enough corporate money?? I am thinking no, but ticket sales could be very good, and not sure if that would be enough
Remembering back, a lot of corporations left the province for Ontario. The talk of seperation from the rest of Canada made companies very leery and they left town.....since then they have also lost the Expos and a ton of companies that used to spend money in the city.

I agree if Molson was to share the Bell Centre, or better yet, become a part owner maybe it could work?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Is there enough corporate money?? I am thinking no, but ticket sales could be very good, and not sure if that would be enough
Remembering back, a lot of corporations left the province for Ontario. The talk of seperation from the rest of Canada made companies very leery and they left town.....since then they have also lost the Expos and a ton of companies that used to spend money in the city.

I agree if Molson was to share the Bell Centre, or better yet, become a part owner maybe it could work?
There were lots of head offices in Montreal. Probably more than any other city in Canada. Most moved after the FLQ crisis ( my father' employer did). Also many people move their assets out of Quebec

Reactions: BLONG7

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The Molson family would have to be heavily involved, since they own the arena, and they have strong connections with Bell and a bunch of other high rollers, so money wise I wouldn't be too worried. Getting the rich people in the province to care about anything other than hockey to begin with would be the real hurdle IMO. Baseball they probably sorta remember playing in their youths, anything else is sadly a very long shot.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Basketball has blown up with the youth here and Canada (including Montreal) has started to really produce NBA talent.

Some players may be turned off by the French but they also don't need to speak it to live here, just like any other Hab player. The preseason games definitely get a full house and rowdy crowd. But winning is important like for any team.

Regarding FAs I wouldn't be worried. A bunch of recent winners like Toronto, Denver and Milwaukee aren't marquee destinations either.

It's a very different pool of players compared to the 90s too when vancouver was seen as an outpost.

It used to be a novelty to see a non American player in the NBA, but now they are coming from all parts of the world, which helps a bit with the recruitment aspect to a place like montreal.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I would kill for a team here. The Canadiens are so damn boring to follow. That a city like Montreal with a 1.8 mil city pop and 4.3 metro only has NHL and MLS is a crime. I know we're in Canada but still. The NBA here would rock a lot more than the MLB.
MLB would rock here if they had a proper stadium. A 30,000 open air venue by the water in the Peel Basin. That would be a dream scenario.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Not if the fan base looks for the Jean Beliveau code of conduct to be applied. Habs have gotten rid of countless players for bad behavior or putting self before the team, and the media and fans always backed the team ( except PK ). And the NBA is pure showboating, humility is a 4 letter word.. I could see a sizable number enjoying the flash of the NBA, though don't know how many would be able to buy season tickets. For me it would be fun as heck, I enjoy the NBA and how it embraces the showmanship. Contrast to the reaction to the Zegras Michigan. Frig.

Wasn't there some kid who was terrified about being drafted by the Raptors because he wouldn't know what food to eat in Canada ? Yeah. French ? Lol. Maybe a team of Europeans, but Americans ? Forget it. For this reason alone a franchise couldn't make it in Montreal.

Last edited:
Reactions: themilosh

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The amount of people who bring up the French language in Montreal always make me wonder how many posters on this board are actually from the city or even familiar with it.

I live in the Plateau where a massive amount of expats from France live and I still hear English left right and center. I'm pretty sure most pro athletes without families live in some combo of downtown and Old Montreal. It's a total non-issue. These guys aren't hanging out in Anjou.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
MLB would rock here if they had a proper stadium. A 30,000 open air venue by the water in the Peel Basin. That would be a dream scenario.

I'm not a baseball guy but I think it'd be great to have the Expos back. Just don't see it happening with no stadium and now we're pouring in hundreds of millions against into the Olympic Stadium. Garbage decision.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'm not a baseball guy but I think it'd be great to have the Expos back. Just don't see it happening with no stadium and now we're pouring in hundreds of millions against into the Olympic Stadium. Garbage decision.
Yeah I don’t get it either. The world’s ugliest events centre.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The amount of people who bring up the French language in Montreal always make me wonder how many posters on this board are actually from the city or even familiar with it.

I live in the Plateau where a massive amount of expats from France live and I still hear English left right and center. I'm pretty sure most pro athletes without families live in some combo of downtown and Old Montreal. It's a total non-issue. These guys aren't hanging out in Anjou.
The reality doesn't matter. I gave the example of a NBA draft eligible player afraid he wouldn't be able to find food in Toronto.

For American NBA players Canada is a tough sell. Look at the issues Toronto has. Only Lowry and Derozan wanted to stay.

And throw in Quebec ? Are you kidding me ? "They speak French there " Boom. American hockey players know Montreal because it's freaking Montreal and the Habs are legend. Basketball ? They will leave when they hit UFA status. And no, they won't fall in love with the city.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The reality doesn't matter. I gave the example of a NBA draft eligible player afraid he wouldn't be able to find food in Toronto.

For American NBA players Canada is a tough sell. Look at the issues Toronto has. Only Lowry and Derozan wanted to stay.

And throw in Quebec ? Are you kidding me ? "They speak French there " Boom. American hockey players know Montreal because it's freaking Montreal and the Habs are legend. Basketball ? They will leave when they hit UFA status. And no, they won't fall in love with the city.

You keep bringing up this anecdote as if there is any conclusion that should be drawn from it other than that the supposed player in question is painfully stupid.

Again, I'll repeat: how familiar are you with Montreal and its boroughs? Are you from the city? If so, which part? Like, even in the context of a player believing a wrong thing, you act as if folks can't be corrected about places they don't know. It's an absurd stance.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad