Worst trade of the last decade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What is the worst NHL trade of the last decade?

• Total voters

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Poll is missing a first round pick in the ROR deal.

Obviously ROR had a great year and won the cup but at the time of the trade, most pundits were saying Buffalo made out like bandits getting a solid prospect, a 1st and 2nd, and two players to balance the bottom 6 forward group with depth. They also ridded themselves of a contract that could be bad in 3 years. Lastly, a lot speculated ROR wanted out in Buffalo or requested a trade as he made certain remarks to Buffalo media.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The sens have traded Turris, 4th overall, Bowers, Hammond and a 3rd round pick for 19th and Abramov. This is absolutely the worst. If you break it down into what the Avs flipped Turris for in the same deal its even worse.

Girard, Bowers, Kamanev, 4th OA, Hammond, 2nd, 3rd for 19th and Abramov.

This trade was so damaging to the organization they purged the entire roster including Stone and Karlsson for peanuts. I dont know how there is a worse trade than this one in NHL history.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Which were Hamilton and Seguin and I think also Jared Knight.

Doesn't change the fact the Leafs never traded Seguin nor Hamilton, because they weren't even in the league at that point.
You should value the trade based on the trade itself; not on the players that resulted from those picks.

If you trade a 1st for e.g. David Krejci it's a bad trade. Always!
When the other team uses that pick to draft Patrik Stefan it doesn't make that trade good.

So had the Bruins had drafted pure garbage ... the Leafs would have won the trade in that case even though the trade itself was the same in both cases?

That's like saying a rich guy selling his house for 100 bucks was a good deal, because it was burnt down the day after the purchase.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The sens have traded Turris, 4th overall, Bowers, Hammond and a 3rd round pick for 19th and Abramov. This is absolutely the worst. If you break it down into what the Avs flipped Turris for in the same deal its even worse.

Girard, Bowers, Kamanev, 4th OA, Hammond, 2nd, 3rd for 19th and Abramov.

This trade was so damaging to the organization they purged the entire roster including Stone and Karlsson for peanuts. I dont know how there is a worse trade than this one in NHL history.
This isn't 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. What happens with a player 2 years after you trade for him does not make that part of the original trade.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This isn't 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. What happens with a player 2 years after you trade for him does not make that part of the original trade.

So you dont take into account how long the player plays on the team in the deal? It looks even worse then.

Turris, Bowers, 3rd, Hammond 4th overall for 1.3 years of Duchene.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
So you dont take into account how long the player plays on the team in the deal? It looks even worse then.

Turris, Bowers, 3rd, Hammond 4th overall for 1.3 years of Duchene.
Not unless the entire plan was to keep the player for 1.3 years. If this is how you evaluate trades then you're still off since Columbus trading Voracek, Couturier, and Cousins for 39 games of Jeff Carter is way worse. Hell, pretty much every trade deadline deal for a player on an expiring contract is worse since they rarely resign.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not unless the entire plan was to keep the player for 1.3 years. If this is how you evaluate trades then you're still off since Columbus trading Voracek, Couturier, and Cousins for 39 games of Jeff Carter is way worse. Hell, pretty much every trade deadline deal for a player on an expiring contract is worse since they rarely resign.

No they flipped Carter for other assets. So its one way or the other your argument doesnt work on that one.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Kyle Quincey traded to the Wings for a 1st rounder that turned into Vasilevskiy
The other details that make that so brutal is the Wings drafted and developed Quincey and put him on waivers. THEN gave up a first rounder three seasons later to get him back.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
No they flipped Carter for other assets. So its one way or the other your argument doesnt work on that one.
Yes, which is why I started that by saying "If this is how you evaluate trades..." emphasis on YOU. I know it's crazy but I evaluate the trades based on the actual pieces involved from each team. What happens to those players years down the road is irrelevant since that's quite literally not the same trade. In the case of your post it was Turris, Hammond, Bowers, a 1st, a 3rd for Duchene. Nothing more, nothing less.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Wouldn't the worst trade be one where both teams got worse?

The opposite of a win-win trade.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yes, which is why I started that by saying "If this is how you evaluate trades..." emphasis on YOU. I know it's crazy but I evaluate the trades based on the actual pieces involved from each team. What happens to those players years down the road is irrelevant since that's quite literally not the same trade. In the case of your post it was Turris, Hammond, Bowers, a 1st, a 3rd for Duchene. Nothing more, nothing less.

How long the players stick around has to be part of the context thats how people evaluate the trade. Especially when draft picks are involved.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
How long the players stick around has to be part of the context thats how people evaluate the trade. Especially when draft picks are involved.
Then pretty much every trade deadline deal where a team doesn't win the Cup should be the only trades considered here.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
ROR trade easily...

At least the Oilers got an NHL player in Larsson

We got 3 pylons

Jon Bonham

Jun 24, 2019
Lol the Hall trade is only bad in hindsight. Lets not forget how Larsson was touted as the second coming of defensive hockey before the trade.

However, some trades are terrible the second they happen. Like Forsberg for Erat. I'm forever convinced something was lost in translation or nothing, because no GM could actually be that stupid.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Carter to Columbus

A lot of it is terrible in hindsight, but the fact that he juked them into a second bad trade really takes the cake. They ultimately traded Jakub Voracek, a 1st [Couturier] and a 3rd [Cousins] for Jack Johnson and a 1st [Dano].

Hall. Just imagine the 115 point McDavid, the 105 point Draisaitl with Taylor Hall on the same line.

We don't need to imagine it.

It didn't work because Hall and McDavid are both puck-on-stick players that want the play to run through them.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad