Speculation: Worst of our bottom six currently...

Which one is the worst?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Hmm...I can agree with Celebrini, or Marleau back in '97 or even Michalek in '2004...but I don't think so for Smith. He should have to "earn" top-6 minutes. It's what the Sharks did for Couture, Pavelski, Setoguchi, and Hertl...probably the last time they "gifted" a prospect a top spot was Mueller.
Smith is on a completely different level of prospect as Couture, Pavelski, Setoguchi, and Hertl. Smith just tied Eichel for most points as a freshman. He is vastly underrated because he happened to be in the same draft class as Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, and Carlsson. I think he will definitely score more than Fantilli and Carlsson. He is a lot closer to Marleau as a prospect than Couture.

If he struggles then let him move to bottom six or AHL but he should absolutely start on the second line with more talented wingers.

Eklund - Celebrini - Toffoli
Granlund - Smith - Zetterlund

Start with this top six and if they struggle then adjust but both get top six players on their wings.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Smith is on a completely different level of prospect as Couture, Pavelski, Setoguchi, and Hertl. Smith just tied Eichel for most points as a freshman. He is vastly underrated because he happened to be in the same draft class as Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, and Carlsson. I think he will definitely score more than Fantilli and Carlsson. He is a lot closer to Marleau as a prospect than Couture.
He's probably a bit more well-regarded than Couture was at the same time (though not by the Sharks's staff), and definitely more than Setoguchi (though again, not by the Sharks's staff), Pavelski, and Hertl.

He's probably just under Michalek...who had NHL size and ended training camp on the bottom 6.

Still, you're making a good argument and are convincing me...he did have fantastic college numbers. But obviously, I'm motivated to see him do well and want to check that bias...

Reactions: Sandisfan

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
He's probably a bit more well-regarded than Couture was at the same time (though not by the Sharks's staff), and definitely more than Setoguchi (though again, not by the Sharks's staff), Pavelski, and Hertl.

He's probably just under Michalek...who had NHL size and ended training camp on the bottom 6.

Still, you're making a good argument and are convincing me...he did have fantastic college numbers. But obviously, I'm motivated to see him do well and want to check that bias...
I think Celebrini and Smith could be like Kane and Toews. If they are at that level the Sharks have the potential to sniff a wildcard spot. If Smith is as good as his college numbers suggest then it would waste 10-15 games to play him with bottom six grinders. If he struggles after 20 games then demote him and it’s ok because then the Sharks will just get a better draft pick.

I just think with how good these two are the rebuild is almost over. Grier just needs to find a top 4 RHD which is not impossible if that is the final missing piece.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think Celebrini and Smith could be like Kane and Toews. If they are at that level the Sharks have the potential to sniff a wildcard spot. If Smith is as good as his college numbers suggest then it would waste 10-15 games to play him with bottom six grinders. If he struggles after 20 games then demote him and it’s ok because then the Sharks will just get a better draft pick.
Maybe we are just quibbling about the definition of giving a player a spot. Instead of those 20 games, it's going to be TC and preseason which will tell me where he fits...and I think he will show he's not quite ready for big minutes.
I just think with how good these two are the rebuild is almost over.
So say we all...

Grier just needs to find a top 4 RHD which is not impossible if that is the final missing piece.
More than that, I think. The team would need a premier, top-level defenseman, and probably a goaltender as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00