World Cup Boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I am going to a Toronto Blue Jays/Boston Red Sox game at Fenway Park on October 1st. What does that mean? It means that if the final goes best of 3 then Game 3 is on October 1st. Now why would a lifelong hockey fan do this? Simply put, there is a strong chance the Under 23 North American team could play Canada in the final and that would be disastrous. Can you imagine McDavid - arguably the best player in hockey today - not only not being allowed to play for his country but having to compete against them for hockey superiority? How hard is he going to play? What Canadian kid is going to want to beat their own country? It is a joke.

All the NHL had to do with the World Cup format was................nothing. Nothing. It was perfect. Add the best two out of three for the final but that was all they had to do. I honestly thought it was a joke when they explained the 23 and under concept.

I mean, why the heck doesn't McDavid boycott it? It would be perfectly acceptable for him to say that he doesn't want to risk injury by playing in a tournament where he isn't even able to play for his country.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I am going to a Toronto Blue Jays/Boston Red Sox game at Fenway Park on October 1st. What does that mean? It means that if the final goes best of 3 then Game 3 is on October 1st. Now why would a lifelong hockey fan do this? Simply put, there is a strong chance the Under 23 North American team could play Canada in the final and that would be disastrous. Can you imagine McDavid - arguably the best player in hockey today - not only not being allowed to play for his country but having to compete against them for hockey superiority? How hard is he going to play? What Canadian kid is going to want to beat their own country? It is a joke.

All the NHL had to do with the World Cup format was................nothing. Nothing. It was perfect. Add the best two out of three for the final but that was all they had to do. I honestly thought it was a joke when they explained the 23 and under concept.

I mean, why the heck doesn't McDavid boycott it? It would be perfectly acceptable for him to say that he doesn't want to risk injury by playing in a tournament where he isn't even able to play for his country.

I wish he would boycott this atrocious event...and part of me wants to believe he would if he could, but this is a joint NHL/NHLPA production, revenue from it goes into the HRR pot, therefore players will plug their nose and go along with the gimmicks and say all the right things if it means more money in the system.

I'll exercise my rights, and come September will completely ignore this tournament.

I hope the Jays are in the thick of it come September. Another September to remember pennant drive...

moon*

[MOD] and relishes the chance to participate in a best on best tournament in which he gets to compete with the top hockey players in the world.

And strong chance that the U-23's play Canada?

I am not so sure about that.

They are at the very best the 4th best team (and only because the US made so many terrible roster decisions) and more likely the 7th best team. They are behind Canada, Sweden and Finland for sure and also likely behind the US and Russia.

Yes they are a much better team than whatever crap 2nd rate nation would have been here instead of them so its nice to have a team that actually can compete rather than the speed bump that Slovakia, Switzerland and Germany would be but still a ways away from competing in the final.

If that did happen I am sure McDavid would love the chance to stick it to some vets on Canada and come away with the win. It would give him a ton of bragging rights going forward when he is playing with them on Team Canada for the next 10-15 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Yes they are a much better team than whatever crap 2nd rate nation would have been here instead of them so its nice to have a team that actually can compete rather than the speed bump that Slovakia, Switzerland and Germany would be but still a ways away from competing in the final.

And I'm sure you could put together another gimmick team of Canadians and Americans (who didn't make the cut for their over-24 team) that would be better than the Czechs, and maybe even the Finns.

So lets get rid of them too, right?

[MOD]

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
[MOD] and relishes the chance to participate in a best on best tournament in which he gets to compete with the top hockey players in the world.

And strong chance that the U-23's play Canada?

I am not so sure about that.

They are at the very best the 4th best team (and only because the US made so many terrible roster decisions) and more likely the 7th best team. They are behind Canada, Sweden and Finland for sure and also likely behind the US and Russia.

If that did happen I am sure McDavid would love the chance to stick it to some vets on Canada and come away with the win. It would give him a ton of bragging rights going forward when he is playing with them on Team Canada for the next 10-15 years.

It's not best on best, and McDavid has literally no reason to want to "stick it" to Canadians in a supposedly international tournament... considering he is actually a Canadian as well. Horrible logic throughout this post.

moon*

It's not best on best, and McDavid has literally no reason to want to "stick it" to Canadians in a supposedly international tournament... considering he is actually a Canadian as well. Horrible logic throughout this post.

How is it not best on best?

Which of the top players are not going to be there?

If this is not the best against the best I am not sure what tournament is.

moon*

And I'm sure you could put together another gimmick team of Canadians and Americans (who didn't make the cut for their over-24 team) that would be better than the Czechs, and maybe even the Finns.

So lets get rid of them too, right?

[MOD]

I am not sure about the Finns but sure if we can get a better team than the Czechs I have no problem getting rid of them and getting a better team in there.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
How is it not best on best?

Which of the top players are not going to be there?

If this is not the best against the best I am not sure what tournament is.

With the U-23 gimmick, Canada and the United States are prohibited from fielding their best teams. We (USA) will be at a significant disadvantage. Hence its not best on best.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
I am not sure about the Finns but sure if we can get a better team than the Czechs I have no problem getting rid of them and getting a better team in there.

It's beginning to sound like "international hockey" just isn't your thing.

I mean to field the absolute best teams available we would have to do away with national teams in full and go with the NHL all-star game model where we put all the best players together (with no regard for nationality) and divide them up into teams.

Would you prefer that idea for the 2020 "world cup?" Team Ovechkin, Team Toews, Team Crosby.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

Do you even understand the concept of an international tournament? :huh:

moon*

It's beginning to sound like "international hockey" just isn't your thing.

I mean to field the absolute best teams available we would have to do away with national teams in full and go with the NHL all-star game model where we put all the best players together (with no regard for nationality) and divide them up into teams.

Would you prefer that idea for the 2020 "world cup?" Team Ovechkin, Team Toews, Team Crosby.

Just because I don't think this tournament is a joke doesn't mean international hockey isn't for me.

I rank the Olympics ahead of it for sure. I just don't think that replace crap teams like Switzerland, Slovakia and Germany with teams that actually have talent on them is the worst thing in the world.

This tournament isn't pefect but it is a huge step up from the WHC for example. Hopefully now that they have more time for the next tournament they can set up qualifying and go to a more traditional set up, I doubt the hockey will be as good but at least the whining will be less.

moon*

So if you think that a team isn't going to win anyway then the rules should be able to mess with their roster? :amazed:

I think if the outcome isn't going to change one way or the other I am not going to get bent out of shape.

I also think that if you are setting up the tournament you have every right to set it up how you like it.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
I rank the Olympics ahead of it for sure. I just don't think that replace crap teams like Switzerland, Slovakia and Germany with teams that actually have talent on them is the worst thing in the world.

Don't forget to add the Czechs to your list of "crap" teams.

This tournament isn't pefect but it is a huge step up from the WHC for example.

And huge step down from previous World Cups.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
I think if the outcome isn't going to change one way or the other I am not going to get bent out of shape.

And how do you know how a team will perform when denied certain players???

The same rules in 2010 would have stripped Canada of Crosby, Toews, Doughty and the gold medal.

But given that you've written off Team USA already, I suppose we should do away with them next time as well along with the rest of the "crap" team that have no chance.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
If the players gave 100% then yes it would be.

The All-star game with players going all out would be great to see.

So why, in your opinion, why do the best players NOT go all out at the all star game?

Last edited:

moon*

Don't forget to add the Czechs to your list of "crap" teams.

Czechs are borderline. I think they have fallen out of the top group (Canada, Sweden, Russia, US, Finland) but are the obvious class of the 2nd tier (Czech, Slovakia, Switzerland, Germany, Latvia).

And huge step down from previous World Cups.

I wouldn't say huge.

It is a fun tournament involving the best players in the world. To me that sounds pretty cool and fun to watch and really that is what interests me.

If the Olympics end up being a no go then I would like to see a tournament (likely the World Cup) as a more traditional style tournament but for now we just had that 2 years ago and there is no indication that this won't happen in the future.

moon*

And how do you know how a team will perform when denied certain players???

The same rules in 2010 would have stripped Canada of Crosby, Toews, Doughty and the gold medal.

But given that you've written off Team USA already, I suppose we should do away with them next time as well along with the rest of the "crap" team that have no chance.

Because I have seen the players they are missing and can judge the impact they would have on the team. To me with those few guys the US is still easily behind Canada and Sweden and likely Russia and Finland as well.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Because I have seen the players they are missing and can judge the impact they would have on the team. To me with those few guys the US is still easily behind Canada and Sweden and likely Russia and Finland as well.

No you can't judge the impact of missing players because tournaments are decided by playing the games, not by what we think the players will do based on how we judge their theoretical impact.

Using your logic, there's no point in playing the world cup at all. Just look at the rosters and hand out the medals based on your judgement.

(MOD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad