Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
i think if we're so compelled to take a LHD i think we take Buium, Silayev while he might be a "unicorn" the two years before he comes over makes me incredibly wary.

i think the pick is Lev or Demidov, and if its not... MOVE DOWN.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
i think if we're so compelled to take a LHD i think we take Buium, Silayev while he might be a "unicorn" the two years before he comes over makes me incredibly wary.

Two years is nothing. Not a single one of these guys is likely to be an impact player their first two years even if they play right away in the NHL. It's likely to be 4-5 years before any of them really start playing at a high level if they ever do.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
No real disagreement except to say that for the Ducks I believe size is a significant component that goes into their calculations about who is BPA.

True, but size does sometimes dictate more room for growth, development, and progression. If Silayev wasn't 6'7 and around 6'2, then would he still be considered a "unicorn".
Sure, size is “part” of the equation. But if you’re true to BPA you won’t overweight it or any specific factor. They weren’t going to pass on Bedard. If they knew they could pick the next Cale Makar (no I’m not predicting that) are they passing because of size? Not according to Madden.

I will be surprised if they don’t draft a D. But Madden claims we shouldn’t be surprised if they don’t because current need won’t be a factor. I’m just taking him at his word that they won’t put their finger on the scale just because of height. Especially in a year that seems so unpredictable.

Reactions: DucksRoll

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Sure, size is “part” of the equation. But if you’re true to BPA you won’t overweight it or any specific factor. They weren’t going to pass on Bedard. If they knew they could pick the next Cale Makar (no I’m not predicting that) are they passing because of size? Not according to Madden.

I will be surprised if they don’t draft a D. But Madden claims we shouldn’t be surprised if they because current need won’t be a factor. I’m just taking him at his word that they won’t put their finger on the scale just because of height. Especially in a year that seems so unpredictable.
If the Ducks take Levshunov or Silayev, I don't think it will be based on need. Both have potential top pairing upside to go with size and skating. Either would be great picks and I think they are both going to be very impactful players.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think I said it here before, the comment about not picking for need seems like the staff is either high in Demidov or low on Levshunov... or possibly both. I'd rather get another offensive winger or LHD if they feel it's BPA. Fill roles later in the draft. If guys drop a bit, Ducks have plenty of assets to trade up for physical D... there are a few big physical guys right around our second first, we have enough prospects to consolidate and move up to pick those guys. Tomorrow can't get here quick enough.

Also, anyone remember how long before they start making picks? Is 4 a draft show or are they going to start picking relatively quickly after?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I will be surprised if they don’t draft a D. But Madden claims we shouldn’t be surprised if they don’t because current need won’t be a factor. I’m just taking him at his word that they won’t put their finger on the scale just because of height. Especially in a year that seems so unpredictable.

If we take Madden's words, then picks 2-8 are bpa. If so, then they can start looking at preferences. Which is what I call "BPA + need".

I have my own tiers, but it's changed now knowing Demidov added height and mass to his body. I think that made everyone do a double take and improved Demidov's status.

1. C Celebrini
2. RD Lev, RW Demidov (shoots left)
3. C/LW Lindstrom, LD Dickinson

The only d-man that was compared to Makar was Lev by Brad Allen. Except, he compared 15/16 year old Lev to Makar b/c of how dynamic he was offensively back in Belarus Juniors. Lev isn't as dynamic now, but maybe it's still there since he's been focusing on improving his defense for the past two years in the USHL and NCAA.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Lev is going to Chicago and Demidov seems very unlikely at the moment. Word is they aren't going that route.

From THN link provided above:

A few hours later, Robinson posted another poolside report regarding talented Russian winger Demidov. He said he's heard "he's not going three to Anaheim."

We have no idea if Demidov doesn't want to go to Anaheim or Anaheim doesn't want Demidov. It feels like the former b/c Madden is cited there are eight players he's looking at for #3.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If the Ducks take Levshunov or Silayev, I don't think it will be based on need. Both have potential top pairing upside to go with size and skating. Either would be great picks and I think they are both going to be very impactful players.
I’m not saying they can’t take those guys as BPA. My only point was, IMO, if you think the best player left in the draft (at 3 OA) is a 6 foot F or D, you take him because you truly believe he is the best player available. Either that or Madden’s little speech is just for show.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
nathan villeneuve is someone I think will go much higher than where Bob's final rankings have him (73). He's like pat verbeek lite. Wouldn't be surprised if we look at him in the second round.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I really want nothing to do with emery at 31. He is so bad with the puck, he makes Warren look like Bobby orr. Incredible athlete though.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Levshunov appears to be Hawks pick from all the insiders/speculation here in Chicago (I hope they are wrong but too much smoke it feels like)

I dont agree with it but it is what it is at this point

Demidov will be sitting there for Ducks from all indications

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
Marek:
“Based on my conversations it is my belief that… Anaheim will take Zeev Buium”

(Roughly 4:30)

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Marek:
“Based on my conversations it is my belief that… Anaheim will take Zeev Buium”

(Roughly 4:30)

Man I'd be so pumped. Reminding me of last year when we started hearing Carlsson was going #2 the day before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad