Friedman: Lightning clearing space for Guentzel

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Guentzel is obviously chasing money and Tampa gives him both state tax-free money (especially with his deal likely being bonus heavy) and a contending team. Tampa is also a pretty dope city to be living in, so I'm really not surprised here.

Nice work of business by the Lightning to both get a strong return for some of their expensive players and then be able to get a top FA to sign with them. Also the Canes to get a 3rd back for 1 day of negotiations seems like good value for them as well.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Guentzel is obviously chasing money and Tampa gives him both state tax-free money (especially with his deal likely being bonus heavy) and a contending team. Tampa is also a pretty dope city to be living in, so I'm really not surprised here.

Nice work of business by the Lightning to both get a strong return for some of their expensive players and then be able to get a top FA to sign with them. Also the Canes to get a 3rd back for 1 day of negotiations seems like good value for them as well.
People shouldn't sleep on this. There's a reason all these Lightning players that leave keep homes here, return with their family or ask for trades back.

Similar situation with Yankees players who have spring training here.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Frankly I’m surprised that Tampa felt compelled to trade for his rights. Yesterday it seemed like a fait accompli that Guentzel would go to Tampa. This suggests to me that it is not a slam dunk and Tampa feels like they need exclusive time to talk with him.

The most likely scenario is still that he signs with Tampa—but, if this isn’t done by UFA tomorrow, maybe the Vancouver rumors were true all along?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Frankly I’m surprised that Tampa felt compelled to trade for his rights. Yesterday it seemed like a fait accompli that Guentzel would go to Tampa. This suggests to me that it is not a slam dunk and Tampa feels like they need exclusive time to talk with him.

The most likely scenario is still that he signs with Tampa—but, if this isn’t done by UFA tomorrow, maybe the Vancouver rumors were true all along?

Tbh if I were in Guentzel's shoes, Vancouver would need to offer me way more money for me to pick Vancouver over Tampa.

Between the difference in taxes between the two and weather in Tampa versus Vancouver, I'd want a hell of a lot of money to pick Vancouver over Tampa.

Reactions: BallardEra

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

They can get the 8th year no?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
If Guentzel's ask was 8x8 weeks ago then Carolina really dropped the ball trying to negotiate that down.

Can Tampa offer him 8 years now? Or is it still 7 max

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No, only Carolina can offer 8 years. Tampa cannot. A player needs to be on a team’s reserve list at the prior TDL to be eligible for an 8-year contract. The only team that could have offered him eight years is Carolina.
... or someone paying Carolina for the privilege of signing him for 8 years.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

We thought Hanifin was a done deal as well and we all know how that went.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Tbh if I were in Guentzel's shoes, Vancouver would need to offer me way more money for me to pick Vancouver over Tampa.

Between the difference in taxes between the two and weather in Tampa versus Vancouver, I'd want a hell of a lot of money to pick Vancouver over Tampa.
We have excellent golf courses though :)

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
IMO this has more to do with Tampa wanting to know if they can actually sign Guentzel (or not) and having that awareness now.

If Guentzel will sign—great for them. If he wants to go to market—they probably don’t want to risk losing him and Stamkos. It will give them the knowledge of whether they need to circle back to Stamkos or not before he listens to offers from Nashville or Detroit or whoever.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa

It felt like Hanifin was a done deal, it felt like Karlsson was a done deal.. jbb made the right.move. go and get it. Don't wait for it to fall in your lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad