Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.4%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.9%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.3%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Its important with McCagg to distinguish his opinion from what he hears. His opinion is generally wrong but he has legitimate NHL sources who tell him things. The latest rumours were what he heard from scouts at the combine.

Reactions: Boo Boo

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Come on guys it’s draft season…. Every team is putting out false information to sway opinions. It’s a multi billion dollar industry per team. Plus it would surprise me that the league tells teams to conjure up information just to keep fans anticipation ect. On the up. Can’t have a boring league it’ll kill revenue

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Our scouts/Madden seem to love defensemen way too much to pass up on a defense-heavy (or at least heavier) draft.

There has to be somebody they like in the mix.

In 2023 draft, we didn't take a d-man until round 4. We drafted five forwards and one goalie before drafting a d-man last year. The previous draft, 2022, we drafted three defensemen in the first two rounds: LD Minty #10, RD Warren #42, and RD Luneau #53

This year, we sort of created a need at RD with the trading away of Drysdale, Luneau having medical issues, Helleson is still meandering, Warren stagnated, and Moore still being used as a shutdown D by Harvard instead of being a 2-way D. Then there's that dreaded Harvard senior prospect trend of going UFA or not wanting to be with the team that drafted them.

Question is, are we looking for a top-end RD or a shutdown RD? With LD Minty, LD Zell, and LD LaCombe all have some offense to their game, then we probably could use more shutdown complements. If it is shutdown complements, then we can nab one with the late first or early second in RD EJ Emery, RD Elick, or RD Badinka. We can take a flyer with the late 2nd or early 3rd in RD Sebastian Soini, who did place high in a few NHL combine tests.

If we go top-end, then we're probably looking for a high end, two-way D. IMO, it's RD Lev and then LD Dickinson. Lev is an OFD turned 2-way D. Dickinson is a shutdown D turned 2-way D. Lev has the higher potential due to his rapid improvement over two years at two different levels of hockey, USHL and NCAA. Dickinson, in his D-1 season, was a shutdown D with great skating who displayed more effort in developing his offense, though that offense might have been helped by being on a stacked OHL London team.

The problem lies in if Verbeek is stubborn on keeping players on their shooting sides. If that's the case, then Lev is the only option for a defenseman with the #3OA pick. Anaheim possesses a few left shooting d-men who have played RD for years before turning pro in LaCombe, Zellweger, and Hinds. Despite that history, Verbeek doesn't want them playing on their off-sides.

That would leave us looking at top-end forwards if Lev is gone before our pick, to which there are two options... maybe three? The first two are 6'3 C/LW Lindstrom and 5'11 RW Demidov from Russia. PV might lean towards Lindstrom because Lindstrom will be difficult to play against as a power forward and that type of player is what the Ducks need more of on its roster. And Lindstrom is more of a goal scorer compared to Demidov. Demidov's height could be a negative factor for PV, but Demidov was healthy all season compared to Lindstrom. The third option could be Sennecke, but he only flashed for 12 regular season games and has a hero puck mentality.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Come on guys it’s draft season…. Every team is putting out false information to sway opinions. It’s a multi billion dollar industry per team. Plus it would surprise me that the league tells teams to conjure up information just to keep fans anticipation ect. On the up. Can’t have a boring league it’ll kill revenue

Ya know, I was thinking about that "putting out false info" with Chicago wanting Lev. Just my opinion, but I think Chicago needs more help with offensive scoring than defensive play. Seeing more Chicago interest in Lev might be Chicago trying to induce a trade with Anaheim while still getting the player they really wanted in Demidov, but acquiring an extra draft pick in the process by moving only one spot down in the draft. I think it's a great ploy to see how desperate Anaheim is for Levshunov. Getting that extra draft pick could help Chicago to move up from #18 OA to land a different RD in Yakemchuk at #12 or #13, before the Sharks' pick at #14.

Chicago seems to have found gems in 6'6 shutdown LD Vlasic (2019, rd 2), 6'4 defensive, two-way LD Del Mastro (2021, rd 4), and 6'4 offensive-minded RD Rinzel (2022, #25 OA). Vlasic played on the top-pairing role in his first, full NHL season this past year. Del Mastro got a call-up at the end of the season to the NHL. Offensive-minded LD Korchinski (2022, #7 OA) made his way to the NHL this season. Veteran RD Jones is their current RD1 with the NHL club and under contract for six more seasons.

The Blackhawks' 2019 first round pick LW Reichel is like an AHL all-star, but still struggling to put it all together at the NHL level. Could be like a Max Jones or Sam Steel type; could be like Troy Terry, but who knows? After Reichel, there's 5'9 C Nazar and C 5'11 Moore. I think Chicago is in dire need of scoring talent than defense - though, are they willing to go with yet another sub-6' forward?

With their scouting ability to find good defensemen beyond the top-10 might help them land a game changing, scoring forward at #2 overall. They could go with the small, but dynamic Demidov or with the hulking, scoring PF Lindstrom. Either option would give the Blackhawks a much needed boost of offensive talent to their team.

Chicago draft picks in the first two rounds.
Rd 1, #2 OA
Rd 1, #18 OA
Rd 2, #35 OA
Rd 2, #50 OA

Chicago can find RD's at #18 (if Jiricek falls), #35 (Emery, Elick, Badinka, or Mews), or #50 (Kleber or Danford).

Can you imagine if Chicago drafts 6'3 C Lindstrom at #2 and 6'1 C Michael Hage at #18? They're killing several stones with those two picks by improving their offensive talent, improving their goal scoring talent, increasing their forward size, and adding bigger centermen.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Does Yakemchuk match better with Mintyukov or Zellweger in a future defensive pair ?
As of now, with his defensive game apparently being a work in much-needed progress, Minty seems like the better fit - but having Minty paired with a guy who’s himself overly active offensively could result in Minty not getting to use his offensive talent and being forced to play more of a conservative game, which would let some of his strengths go to waste. But the appeal with Yakemchuk would probably be that he becomes a guy that uses his frame effectively defensively (and consistently), as well.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Yakemchuk is pretty unique with his combination of being mean and nasty on the ice but also showing elite puck handling and a very good shot. I don’t think there is an nhl defensemen like that. I also think his weak spots are more easily developed (gap control, edge work, too many penalties). Such an interesting mix of d in this class.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Passing on Demidov would be mindblowing to me. Yakemchuk is a project. The holes are obviously there, otherwise he would be competing #1st overall. But Demidov is gamebreaking imho.
Idk about that... i mean id gladly take Demidov but i think there is certaintly question marks there.

My biggest thing is if Yakemchuk is our guy... really is no reason to not trade down to 5-7.

-Montreal would love to jump ahead of Columbus to grab a forward
-Ottawa likely wants their choice of dmen in the draft(if levshunov falls to 3)
-Utah wants to make noise for a new city... getting an explosive guy like Demidov would be a good start

Ott could do
7+25 +
Montreal could do
5+ 26
Utah can do
6 + 36 + 49
--------------
Can use those picks to move up and try to aim at a guy like MBN or Sannecke on the off chance he falls a bit.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Anyone have an opinion on Teddy Sitga? I know hes not 6'3 so half of you are going to instantly write him off.

I thought he was fantastic at World juniors.... Hes going to BC this year and likely going to play on a top team w/ top players... we passed on brindley last season, and i assume well have different guys at 31 + 35.

But if we go dmen at 3... i expect us to look for a forward at 35.... i think Masse is prob my best guess.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Sean Shapiro of EP spoke with Demidov this morning. Apparently he is currently rehabbing an ankle injury, so he’s not participating in on-ice activities, but he said he should be back on the ice around development camp time.
1718721089605.png

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
June 28 can't come soon enough for me. At this point all we have is endless speculation about a nice, but not spectacular, group of prospects, each of whom has a notable risk factor for a 3rd OA pick. It just seems like this year there is more uncertainty than normal, and I would to get it over with. Regardless of who they choose in the draft, I will be a happier camper by the end of the draft on June 29.
It was definitely a lot easier last year when all we had to think was who is it going to be between two guys, while others barked at us that we should take a third Russian option.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yakemchuk is pretty unique with his combination of being mean and nasty on the ice but also showing elite puck handling and a very good shot. I don’t think there is an nhl defensemen like that. I also think his weak spots are more easily developed (gap control, edge work, too many penalties). Such an interesting mix of d in this class.
I think you are correct but also are minimizing his weak spots. He is going to have to make pretty significant improvements or he is going to get torched at the NHL level by forwards blowing past him or him making awful defensive reads. He is basically the right-handed version of Dionicio. Many of the same strengths and many of the same weaknesses. He is a very risky pick and years away from the NHL. And once he makes the NHL, I think it is unrealistic to expect the things he does offensively in junior to translate. Think Nic Hague without the defense.

The other thing that concerns me about Yakemchuk is that he has had zero success outside of the WHL. My fear is that he is a junior star that will become an NHL journeyman. And the Ducks haven't exactly been brilliant lately drafting players out of the WHL so there is that.

Reactions: Perry was Here

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Silayev is absent, correct?
My understanding was that he would be there but I haven't seen a full list of attendees yet.

Edit: Initial list I saw Silayev wasn't on it but they are adding names as they go. There is a Gold star thread on the Montreal board.

Last edited:

Perry was Here

Jun 17, 2024
What gives you confidence that Demidov is any less of a project than Yakemchuk?
Demidov is actually good at what he's supposed to be, a forward. He creates opportunities for himself and his team mates in the offensive zone. Does he need work? Sure but he has a better idea of what his main job is. Yakemchuk is not good in the defensive zone. If he's under pressure and tries to stick handle, he gets stripped of the puck. His breakout passes are good when he's not under pressure. His decision making in the defensive zone (hockey IQ) is not very good. As far as physicality goes, I've seen him crosscheck opponents in front of the net, partly one of the reasons why he had 120 penalty minutes this season. I think of the two, Yakemchuk is the bigger project.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad