Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.4%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.9%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.3%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Who is suggesting we take Sennecke at 3?

That would be an incredible reach and questions will have to be answered.
McCagg said he heard it from scouts at the combine at the same time as the Yakemchuk rumour.

He is in that top group of forwards and could go at either 4 or 6 if we dont take him. Both Colombus and Utah have taken him to dinner which doesnt happen unless they are very interested in drafting him.

Here is where all of the talk has come from.

Reactions: Yemeth

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
McCagg said he heard it from scouts at the combine at the same time as the Yakemchuk rumour.

He is in that top group of forwards and could go at either 4 or 6 if we dont take him. Both Colombus and Utah have taken him to dinner which doesnt happen unless they are very interested in drafting him.

Relevant part starts at about 26 minutes if you don't want to sift through the whole thing.

Reactions: LeBrun is a Clown

Perry was Here

Jun 17, 2024
Weird that he said Verbeek wouldn't take a Russian.... when he has. Maybe Verbeek felt more safe with Mintyukov since he was in the OHL. Buteyets was 6th round pick so not much risk there but to say Verbeek wouldn't take a Russian is misleading. Not to praise Verbeek but he's picked internationally born players with his first pick in the last two drafts and passed on last years Hobey Baker winner.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Weird that he said Verbeek wouldn't take a Russian.... when he has. Maybe Verbeek felt more safe with Mintyukov since he was in the OHL. Buteyets was 6th round pick so not much risk there but to say Verbeek wouldn't take a Russian is misleading. Not to praise Verbeek but he's picked internationally born players with his first pick in the last two drafts and passed on last years Hobey Baker winner.
That’s probably what it is - I suspect we’ll need a larger draft sample size with verbeek or for them to draft a Russian with a 1st or 2nd before we can say for sure

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It isn’t really a binary issue, there’s a lot of factors that go into it. Mintyukov was already playing in Canada so right away there’s so much less risk with his selection than, say, Silayev in a number of ways. There’s no KHL contract, he’s already playing NA hockey, there’s probably less worry if he needed AHL time, and maybe most importantly there’s ample opportunity for everyone to get quality viewings of him. The further you go in the draft the less this matters, but you probably want to get away from those kinds of risks when you’re picking 3rd.

The thing about viewings is why I started to lean maybe they don’t pick Silayev and why I wouldn’t be too surprised to see both Silayev and Demidov fall out of the top five. There’s probably just going to be one or two scouts who have actually seen them play and thus a good chance everyone else will have other favorites that they’re able to better argue for. Maybe they see something on tape or at that combine this week that really moves them but when it’s this tight my moneys on that not happening.

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
Besides nailing the Carlsson pick last year, what gives McCagg credibility with what he’s saying about the Ducks?

If it’s just the Leo pick, I don’t think it’s worth taking much stock into what he says. IIRC, we knew it was either gonna be Fantilli or Carlsson. So it’s not like it was that outlandish.

Perry was Here

Jun 17, 2024
It isn’t really a binary issue, there’s a lot of factors that go into it. Mintyukov was already playing in Canada so right away there’s so much less risk with his selection than, say, Silayev in a number of ways. There’s no KHL contract, he’s already playing NA hockey, there’s probably less worry if he needed AHL time, and maybe most importantly there’s ample opportunity for everyone to get quality viewings of him. The further you go in the draft the less this matters, but you probably want to get away from those kinds of risks when you’re picking 3rd.

The thing about viewings is why I started to lean maybe they don’t pick Silayev and why I wouldn’t be too surprised to see both Silayev and Demidov fall out of the top five. There’s probably just going to be one or two scouts who have actually seen them play and thus a good chance everyone else will have other favorites that they’re able to better argue for. Maybe they see something on tape or at that combine this week that really moves them but when it’s this tight my moneys on that not happening.
Agent Dan Milstein (who represents most Russian, maybe all in the NHL) is having a showcase event before the draft for I the top Russian and Belarussian prospects since they were banned from the combine. This would be the opportunity for Anaheim to do a meet and greet in person. If Silayev and or Demidov say they don't want to play in Anaheim, fair enough. If it's the opposite, then you can't eliminate them because of the factor.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Agent Dan Milstein (who represents most Russian, maybe all in the NHL) is having a showcase event before the draft for I the top Russian and Belarussian prospects since they were banned from the combine. This would be the opportunity for Anaheim to do a meet and greet in person. If Silayev and or Demidov say they don't want to play in Anaheim, fair enough. If it's the opposite, then you can't eliminate them because of the factor.
That showcase begins tomorrow FYI. It goes from June 18-23.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The “Russian factor” is not remotely just limited to what the players say before the draft, and there are some parts of that that a team simply has to take a leap and hope do not occur.

Perry was Here

Jun 17, 2024
The “Russian factor” is not remotely just limited to what the players say before the draft, and there are some parts of that that a team simply has to take a leap and hope do not occur.
To use Michkov as an example last year, he basically said he only wanted to go to Philly. What I'm saying is that if Silayev or Demidov both say they would like to play in Anaheim, take that into consideration. From what I understand, Verbeek has already had conversations with the Silayev camp so again I really don't buy the notion that Verbeek doesn't like Russians.

Reactions: lwvs84

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
To use Michkov as an example last year, he basically said he only wanted to go to Philly. What I'm saying is that if Silayev or Demidov both say they would like to play in Anaheim, take that into consideration. From what I understand, Verbeek has already had conversations with the Silayev camp so again I really don't buy the notion that Verbeek doesn't like Russians.
???

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I’m not saying he dislikes Russia. I’m saying there are financial and political considerations with Russian players that do not exist with other prospects.

Already under contract.
Cannot watch them develop live as time (years)passes.
Zero input in their progression.
Do they get a big enough contract at 20 that they want to stay in the KHL until that pittance NHL ELC is only 2 (or 1) years?
Do they get leaned on to not leave the country period, in any of the myriad ways that can occur?
Does the geopolitical situation result in an escalation of cold to hot war?

I’m not getting into a discussion as to the relative likeliness of any of that, or certainly that players from Russia should never be drafted, but the chances for all those things are non-zero. Verbeek needs to start showing some progression or the seat will become hot eventually, and he likely cannot have the same margins for risk as some other franchises.

:dunno:

Reactions: ScarTroy

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Source?

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Pretty much all teams have a Russia based scout, some teams even more than one. Konstantin Krylov has been on the Ducks payroll for almost 30 years.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Besides nailing the Carlsson pick last year, what gives McCagg credibility with what he’s saying about the Ducks?

If it’s just the Leo pick, I don’t think it’s worth taking much stock into what he says. IIRC, we knew it was either gonna be Fantilli or Carlsson. So it’s not like it was that outlandish.

I don't recall McCagg on the Carlsson train. There was a podcast that had McCagg and a younger guy scout who I thought worked with McCagg, but there was a third person asking questions. It was the younger guy that said he'd take Carlsson over Fantilli. I've tried searching for that video on YouTube, but it's been taken down whereas all the other "Carlsson vs Fantilli" videos are still up.

Reactions: Dostwall
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

I mean.. If we were to bundle let’s say:

Terry + something (or)
Gibson + something (or)
Zegras + something

to grab another top 10ish pick to draft Sennecke then sure, I wouldn’t mind. Again, I haven’t paid close attention to prospects in quite some time. So forgive me with hearing about this player for the first time

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I mean.. If we were to bundle let’s say:

Terry + something (or)
Gibson + something (or)
Zegras + something

to grab another top 10ish pick to draft Sennecke then sure, I wouldn’t mind. Again, I haven’t paid close attention to prospects in quite some time. So forgive me with hearing about this player for the first time
If the Ducks want to start to compete for the playoffs they cannot trade competent existing players for draft picks. The one exception I would make to that is that if they have faith in Dostal as a Number 1, they could trade Gibson for something since Dostal will have already replaced Gibson.

I am not a fan of doing such a trade for this year, since I am not convinced that Dostal is a Number 1 right now, and if the Ducks trade Gibson they are going to have to sign an experienced back up for Dostal, since I have no faith that any of the young goalies are ready for backup NHL duty for this coming year.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I don't really believe it but I kind of hope the Sennecke rumors are true. I can't see him going 3rd but the kid has insane skills and the potential is sky high since he started playing physical later in the year.
I’m a really big fan from what I’ve seen as well. I love how he skates with good ankle flexion. I see very good skill and from the limited video I have seen I like his decision making.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If the Ducks want to start to compete for the playoffs they cannot trade competent existing players for draft picks. The one exception I would make to that is that if they have faith in Dostal as a Number 1, they could trade Gibson for something since Dostal will have already replaced Gibson.

I am not a fan of doing such a trade for this year, since I am not convinced that Dostal is a Number 1 right now, and if the Ducks trade Gibson they are going to have to sign an experienced back up for Dostal, since I have no faith that any of the young goalies are ready for backup NHL duty for this coming year.

Bring back Stolarz on a short term deal

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
I don't recall McCagg on the Carlsson train. There was a podcast that had McCagg and a younger guy scout who I thought worked with McCagg, but there was a third person asking questions. It was the younger guy that said he'd take Carlsson over Fantilli. I've tried searching for that video on YouTube, but it's been taken down whereas all the other "Carlsson vs Fantilli" videos are still up.
So even more reason not to buy into what he says.

What he said deviates from the consensus, his credibility is suspect, the Ducks keep things close to the vest, and it’s not clear how he would’ve gotten info on the Ducks preferences.

Reactions: WeThreeKings
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Pretty much all teams have a Russia based scout, some teams even more than one. Konstantin Krylov has been on the Ducks payroll for almost 30 years.
Right, but that’s one guy. What I’m saying is pretty much any other prospect will have multiple guys, including the two whose opinions probably matter most, getting live looks. I’m not saying they’re blind in Russia, but when debating two guys it’s gonna be an uphill battle for Krylov to make his case.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I seem to recall the same. I think it was Brad Allen who was saying that in 5 years Carlsson would be the best player out of the draft (yes, better than CB). I'm not positive it was Allen but that's what I remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad