Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The mystery element is fun at least.

The wheeler/pronman two round mock has us taking:

3 - silayev
29 - dean letourneau (6'7" high school center)
35 - Henry mews (RHD, played with mintyukov)
58 - John Mustard (college bound speedy winger projected as a maybe first rounder)

Mustard has some big fans as a late riser. Better learn to shoot the puck hard with that handle

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think if we go back to Verbeek saying how much he values hockey sense, it makes me think they pass on Levshunov and go with Demidov or Sila/Dicky. What is the word on Lindstrom's hockey sense ?

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I think if we go back to Verbeek saying how much he values hockey sense, it makes me think they pass on Levshunov and go with Demidov or Sila/Dicky. What is the word on Lindstrom's hockey sense ?
I mean what is he supposed to say, "I value skills over brains"?
Hew hasnt been here long enough to have a real track record.

And this idea that Lev has low hockey IQ is BS. Its based on turnovers on the breakout and its been debunked.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
New draft list from Craig Button. If his goal is to generate conversation this list will do it. Definitely predisposed to favor smaller high scoring players...the exact type of players who tend to fall on draft day. Enjoy...

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
New draft list from Craig Button. If his goal is to generate conversation this list will do it. Definitely predisposed to favor smaller high scoring players...the exact type of players who tend to fall on draft day. Enjoy...

Sil down at 16? Wow. I mean wow.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
You guys are starting to scare me off from any D at 3. Button didn’t mention Lindstrom but he’s got him down at 10. I’ve been warming up to him as long as his back is not a serious issue.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It's important to remember that while there may be more public variation in rankings, opinions, ect, that does not mean that sentiment is shared by our scouts.

They could very well be over the moon to take some kid at 3 from their own evaluation.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If there was ever a year to trade a top 3 pick for an elite player, this is the year.
The elite player would have to be age appropriate (i.e. 25 or younger) and not an RFA looking for $7-8 million on a long term deal for that to make sense for Anaheim. That certainly narrows the possibilities considerably.

Reactions: dracom

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
The elite player would have to be age appropriate (i.e. 25 or younger) and not an RFA looking for $7-8 million on a long term deal for that to make sense for Anaheim. That certainly narrows the possibilities considerably.
agreed. dont know if that player is out there but if he is then I would 100% be for trading our 1st round pick for him.

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
At this point I'm in favor of Silayev and wouldn't mind trading down to do it. I'm just not seeing it with most of these guys including Demidov.

Yeah his skill and vision are clearly high level but he's smallish and his game is so reliant on juking out less experienced/talented MHL players. He does what Terry wishes he could do on a nightly basis but against much weaker competition.

But I'm not a pro scout so what do I know?

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
At this point I'm in favor of Silayev and wouldn't mind trading down to do it. I'm just not seeing it with most of these guys including Demidov.

Yeah his skill and vision are clearly high level but he's smallish and his game is so reliant on juking out less experienced/talented MHL players. He does what Terry wishes he could do on a nightly basis but against much weaker competition.

This is where I’m at as well

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The way this draft is shaping up, if they really like a guy they need to just pick him. There’s no guarantee trading back will still get your preferred guy. If somehow they see multiple guys at equal level and would be fine with any of the small group then by all means I’d try to drop back 2 or 3 spots.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I think that's pretty much the key here. The main reason why I don't see the Ducks picking Silayev is because of them picking 3rd.

I like Silayev as a prospect. I absolutely love those modern stay at home defensemen who are both smooth skating but also solid, big and physical.

Having said that, historically, I feel like defensemen taken in the top5 or even top3 of NHL drafts always had a significant track record as scorers. Montreal was criticized a lot for taking Reinbacher 5th overall despite him scoring at all levels throughout his career, at times even putting up historic numbers.

Silayev has never been productive at any level he played and while I'm no longer regularly following the KHL I also have to say that I haven't seen anything in Silayev's game that would lead me to believe he's just about to break out offensively.

Never say never, David Reinbacher scored an absolutely highlight reel goal in his first or second game for Laval, breaking up a play in the neutral zone to then enter the offensive zone, dangle through players to finally shoot the puck into the net. He has never done anything like it in Switzerland where he was scoring points due to his elite vision and passing but has never really took any risks with the puck on his stick.

So while everything is possible I still think that drafting Silayev 3rd overall would be too much to ask from a player who has never provided significant offense. Silayev is probably as safe of an NHL top4 defenseman as you're gonna get..which, given his size, is pretty crazy. A top 3 pick is expected to provide significant offense, score lots of points though...and I think there are lots of defensemen available who are simply more likely to do that. Dickinson is a prospect who's a bit smaller but just as safe of an NHL top4 defenseman as Silayev. There are also defense prospects with way more offensive upside available if you're willing to take a bit of risk.

Personally, I'd be over the moon to pick guys like Silayev or Dickinson 5th to 10th overall any year. I'd hesitate to pick them 3rd overall though. You pick 3rd overall you want some elite skill and talent.

Another aspect is that the Ducks have plenty if young lefty defensemen on the roster already. While none of them are as big or physical as Silayev I'm still not sure if the Ducks really need Silayev or need to draft any LHD with such a high pick. If they're convinced he's clearly BPA they might still do it but I think that's rather unlikely. I think that when in doubt the Ducks are gonna go with a forward or a righty defenseman.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think that's pretty much the key here. The main reason why I don't see the Ducks picking Silayev is because of them picking 3rd.

I like Silayev as a prospect. I absolutely love those modern stay at home defensemen who are both smooth skating but also solid, big and physical.

Having said that, historically, I feel like defensemen taken in the top5 or even top3 of NHL drafts always had a significant track record as scorers. Montreal was criticized a lot for taking Reinbacher 5th overall despite him scoring at all levels throughout his career, at times even putting up historic numbers.

Silayev has never been productive at any level he played and while I'm no longer regularly following the KHL I also have to say that I haven't seen anything in Silayev's game that would lead me to believe he's just about to break out offensively.

Never say never, David Reinbacher scored an absolutely highlight reel goal in his first or second game for Laval, breaking up a play in the neutral zone to then enter the offensive zone, dangle through players to finally shoot the puck into the net. He has never done anything like it in Switzerland where he was scoring points due to his elite vision and passing but has never really took any risks with the puck on his stick.

So while everything is possible I still think that drafting Silayev 3rd overall would be too much to ask from a player who has never provided significant offense. Silayev is probably as safe of an NHL top4 defenseman as you're gonna get..which, given his size, is pretty crazy. A top 3 pick is expected to provide significant offense, score lots of points though...and I think there are lots of defensemen available who are simply more likely to do that. Dickinson is a prospect who's a bit smaller but just as safe of an NHL top4 defenseman as Silayev. There are also defense prospects with way more offensive upside available if you're willing to take a bit of risk.

Personally, I'd be over the moon to pick guys like Silayev or Dickinson 5th to 10th overall any year. I'd hesitate to pick them 3rd overall though. You pick 3rd overall you want some elite skill and talent.

Another aspect is that the Ducks have plenty if young lefty defensemen on the roster already. While none of them are as big or physical as Silayev I'm still not sure if the Ducks really need Silayev or need to draft any LHD with such a high pick. If they're convinced he's clearly BPA they might still do it but I think that's rather unlikely. I think that when in doubt the Ducks are gonna go with a forward or a righty defenseman.
Solid post but let me offer a counter argument...

This is a draft where - except for possibly Demidov - there really isn't a player who is worthy of being taken at 3OA. Every player beyond Celebrini has warts and no one really stands out as being head and shoulders above the rest. As such, I don't think GMPV will really find that other GM's willing to give up solid assets to move up unless Demidov is available at 3OA. Could a trade happen? Sure. Is it likely? Not IMO.

Although Silayev is an LHD, he has played the right side quite a bit in the KHL so I don't think him shooting left handed will factor into the decision. If it does then Levshunov has to be their pick but he just doesn't strike me as a PV type of player (in the same way that the Ducks took Carlsson over Fantilli last year).

PV has demonstrated in his drafting with the Ducks that he is building a specific type of team. The team will be in the mold of Florida or Vegas. Big and physical are priorities. How else to explain the selections of guys like Gaucher and Myatovic as high picks when there were smaller and more talented players still on the board? The Ducks D right now consists mostly of offensive style D who are average both in height and defensive ability. Much like picking Gaucher, I think PV would love a guy like Silayev and see him as a perfect fit on D. His offensive upside would be gravy if it develops. I really don't see him picking Buium or Parekh (redundant in the system), Yakemchuk (even less worthy of 3OA than Silayev). Dickinson is a possibility but he is a pure LHD which - as you noted - creates a real log jam on that side.

IMO, PV will likely be choosing from Levshunov, Lindstrom, Silayev, and maybe Iginla. He'll be looking for fit and how much they can impact the roster. I think taking a potential premier defensive D who skates extremely well and has the potential to chip in offensively is just as attractive as anyone else available at 3OA. Every team will see this draft differently but I think that's how PV will look at it. I'm not a fan of Levshunov. Lindstrom could be a good selection but comes with risk and I think he is a 2nd line player in the NHL. Iginla is tempting but is he really a 3OA selection?

You are correct that SIlayev doesn't fit the standard offensive profile of a 3OA pick but this is a draft where NO ONE fits that profile (assuming Demidov goes 2OA). Silayev is IMO the one player who could justify the 3OA slot when we look back at this draft five years from now and that is why I hope the Ducks pick him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad