Prospect Info: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2024 Draft, the Ducks take Beckett Sennecke

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I still feel Lindstrom was the obvious pick. He was given clear health by doctors and already has the toughness and power forward build you are hoping Sennecke develops. I like the player but feel Lindstrom was the safer and most logical pick. Hopefully Sennecke does develop into a skilled power forward Kreider type but it's a question mark

I said that before

I feel like a ton of media and people on social media were making a bigger deal of Lindstroms injury than what it needed to be. If it was that much of a problem, he wouldv'e fell.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I still feel Lindstrom was the obvious pick. He was given clear health by doctors and already has the toughness and power forward build you are hoping Sennecke develops. I like the player but feel Lindstrom was the safer and most logical pick. Hopefully Sennecke does develop into a skilled power forward Kreider type but it's a question mark
Valid argument, I probably would have taken Lindstrom or Demidov. But I do think Sennecke is a better roster fit. RW is a weak spot and Ducks aren’t lacking left shot centers.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Valid argument, I probably would have taken Lindstrom or Demidov. But I do think Sennecke is a better roster fit. RW is a weak spot and Ducks aren’t lacking left shot centers.
It is a valid point not picking another LH center. We have all but destroyed any value for Zegras. Maybe Lindstrom could destroy McT’s value.

John

Reactions: Deuce22

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Never understood the desire to move Zegras to wing. So much more effective in the middle.
idk that its a desire, just more of a reality of what PV wants to build.

I think he wants big guys down the middle.... Carlsson/McTavish fit that.... gauthier also fits that.... zegras doesnt fit that.

Personally i do kinda hope they try to roll 3 lines with Carlsson- McTavish - Zegras centering them

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
Never understood the desire to move Zegras to wing. So much more effective in the middle.
I'm sure the Ducks could have the offense run through Zegras on the wing, and have another forward take on the faceoff and d-zone responsibilities. Some examples of wings who drive their offense include Kane, Kucherov and Panerin (I'm comparing offensive roles, not players).

I don't know whether Cronin has enough flexibility to modify his system to Zegras' strengths though - he doesn't strike me as a player's coach.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Madden and Verbeek have said Sennecke has Elite Hockey Sense/IQ. Have not seen anyone say Lindstrom has elite hockey IQ. Verbeek has been saying since he became GM that he values hockey IQ the most and both Carlsson/Sennecke are elite hockey sense guys. He also mentioned that Mintyukov has very high hockey sense.

This is another reason I prefer Sennecke over Lindstrom, he's got elite hockey sense/IQ. I think Lindstroms hockey sense is good but its not as good as Sennecke.
Like how it is with Carlsson vs Fantilli, Fantillis hockey sense is good but its not elite tier like Carlsson.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I thought it was interesting, someone brought Sennecke's last half of season point totals and compared them to Lindstrom's and I think he had a better point total over a similar sample.

A bigger sample actually, Lindstrom was at 1.43 PPG in 32 games, Sennecke was over 1.57 in his last 44 games, and there was a stretch over 20 he was at 1.65.

Last edited:

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I’m very leery of back injuries. Doctors don’t really know the long term outcome. Villardi is a good example of of a guy whose development was really impacted.

Beyond that, I wonder if Lindstrom is dominating at lower levels because he’s such a beast. He won’t have that advantage at the next level. Meanwhile, Sennecke produced despite not having fully physically developed yet.

Just to be clear, I would have been fine with Lindstrom. But I see the logic in taking Sennecke or Demidov instead with position and injury being tie breakers.

Reactions: Kalv

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Reading and watching more about Sennecke I'm definitely warming up to the pick more, as I was feeling a bit indifferent about it at the time. The skill is really high and when he fills out his frame he will be a force to knock off the puck you feel like. Don't really see the hockey IQ issues that have been mentioned in a few reports about him myself, seems a pretty smart player who's certainly good at both ends of the ice.

Not sure I quite see the Perry comparisons just yet, I'd like to see Sennecke use his frame and up the physicality more next season for sure.
What I'm kind of seeing is a shorter Tage Thompson. Hopefully he will have some teammates to work with in Oshawa, so he's not constantly having to try to do it all by himself.

Reactions: lwvs84

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Beyond that, I wonder if Lindstrom is dominating at lower levels because he’s such a beast. He won’t have that advantage at the next level. Meanwhile, Sennecke produced despite not having fully physically developed yet.

Lindstrom will still be a physical specimen at the next level, but yeah he can't rely on it. I've read even people who like him think he's a bit of a project too. Just because he's physically ready doesn't mean the other parts of his game are.

It's worth noting not only did Sennecke have a stronger 2nd half of the season than Lindstrom's partial season, in the playoffs it wasn't even close in terms of comparing the two, with Sennecke over 1.3 ppg, and Lindstrom at 0.5.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Lindstrom will still be a physical specimen at the next level, but yeah he can't rely on it. I've read even people who like him think he's a bit of a project too. Just because he's physically ready doesn't mean the other parts of his game are.

It's worth noting not only did Sennecke have a stronger 2nd half of the season than Lindstrom's partial season, in the playoffs it wasn't even close in terms of comparing the two, with Sennecke over 1.3 ppg, and Lindstrom at 0.5.
For me its mainly the Hockey IQ that I prefer between them, Lindstroms hockey IQ is good but Sennecke's hockey IQ is quite elite per Madden and Verbeek.
Their both very close but between the 4 players, Verbeek chooses the hockey IQ player like he did last years draft. I can't remember when is the last time the Ducks had a winger prospect this good ? B Ryan ? and Bobby Ryan could barely skate.

Reactions: Kalv

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Awful pick. Way too many question marks to take him third overall.

Questionable hockey IQ, low compete, poor defensively, doesn’t use him teammates effectively, makes poor decisions away from the puck, etc.

A highlight reel video doesn’t make a good hockey player.
Yeah I’m sure you scouted him extensively. Posts like this always crack me up like you have looked into the player more than the team drafting him. Can teams miss? Sure. If it was so clear though they never would.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I might be in the minority on HF Boards for this take, but I liked this pick for Anaheim. I love Beckett's personality, and he is capable of some pretty special stuff on the ice due to his size, skill, and skating combination. I think the players with that level of special combinations of tools in their games is pretty limited this draft, and includes Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, and Sennecke among forwards. He has work to do, but if he makes it he'll be special. I don't usually cheer actively for Ducks prospects, but I will be for this one.

Wrong thread for it, but I don't want to post twice: I'm also a big fan of your Solberg pick! He's a little like Brodin in his skating and breakouts, but bigger and way meaner. Not as good defensively at the same age, but he would have gone top-10 if he were. Underrated draft from your team, IMO!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad