Prospect Info: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2024 Draft, the Ducks take Beckett Sennecke

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Pretty sure you’re just wrong. It’s my understanding Demidov** has 2 years left on his contract in Russia, Sennecke will play one more year in juniors then come to pro hockey in the AHL after that.
Demidov has 1 more year on his KHL contract.

Obviously not what many of us were expecting, but at this point we have to trust the team. I think they knew Columbus wanted him at 4.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Pretty sure you’re just wrong…

I could be wrong on the contract, just too Getzlaf to look it up, but to say he’ll be playing pro hockey before Senneke in NA is simply incorrect. Now saying he’ll get to the NHL before is a different discussion.

edit: @Gliff helped me out, Demidov has one more year on his contract, so they’ll both likely enter the NA pro ranks next year.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I know he took Minty with his first ever pick, but I feel like there’s been an ever so slight bias for forwards in Pat’s drafting so far. Which I’m very happy about overall.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
What Russian factor? Deminov is going to be playing pro hockey in NA before Sennecke
Let me clarify...I know he'll be coming over after the 24-25 season. The Russian factors with him are:
1. Where will he play in 24-25? Another year in the MHL? 5 minutes per game in the KHL?
2. His highlights look spectacular until you realize the level of competition is REALLY low.
3. Lack of in person viewing by scouts is a problem.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Let me clarify...I know he'll be coming over after the 24-25 season. The Russian factors with him are:
1. Where will he play in 24-25? Another year in the MHL? 5 minutes per game in the KHL?
2. His highlights look spectacular until you realize the level of competition is REALLY low.

Ya all of that is pretty concerning and kinda still turns me off from using high picks on Russians

If they pan out awesome, good for the teams that take those risks. I’d still be a bit uncomfortable taking them.

I know he took Minty with his first ever pick, but I feel like there’s been an ever so slight bias for forwards in Pat’s drafting so far. Which I’m very happy about overall.
I feel like the scouts prob realized we suck at taking forward outside of top 10 so we should get em early

And we seem to always find good dmen in round 2 and 3

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
Pretty sure you’re just wrong. It’s my understanding Demidov** has 2 years left on his contract in Russia, Sennecke will play one more year in juniors then come to pro hockey in the AHL after that.
He’s a January birthday. So I’m pretty sure he can’t sign an ahl contract for two years. So yes. It’s pretty much guaranteed.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
He has maybe the best hands in the draft and hasn't grown into his body. The question will be how well he can coordinate as he ages.
Best hands has Demidov and it is not close imho. So much Alex Kovalev in him.

I am not sold on our pick. But only time will tell.

Reactions: Static

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Regarding 2 and 3, during playoffs the competition is way harder. Lots of VHL and KHL players coming to MHL rosters. There was no slowdown.
We do have a Russian scout. So viewing in person is possible.

DucksRoll

May 9, 2015
I was kinda meh on it, but EP's glowing reports on him have me sold. And, anyway, Madden and co. have nailed it with early round forwards the last few seasons: Zegras, McT, Leo. So, even though it feels like a reach, I trust them enough to wait it out.

Also, the Demidov obsession is just sad and pathetic. I said it earlier today: People are ignoring the significant risk factors of a guy that basically the whole staff hasn't seen live, and who is playing in a low level league. Maybe Demidov ends up being the steal of the draft, but there's a reason a lot of scouts had big concerns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv and Boo Boo

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
But would you take Perry at 3 if you knew he would gone at 4?

John
It is easy to draft when you know. Pavel Datsyuk would be a top pick, as would have been Pasternak or Kucherov.

Thing is, we don't know and there were valid reasons why Perry was at 28th.

Would I take Pears in his draft year at 3. Hell no. Even with the knowledge of today I doubt I would have taken him too 3. Personally, I have Getzlaf, Bergeron, Pavelski, Burns, Suter and Weber ahead of him.

Reactions: 70sSanO

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I was kinda meh on it, but EP's glowing reports on him have me sold. And, anyway, Madden and co. have nailed it with early round forwards the last few seasons: Zegras, McT, Leo. So, even though it feels like a reach, I trust them enough to wait it out.

Also, the Demidov obsession is just sad and pathetic. I said it earlier today: People are ignoring the significant risk factors of a guy that basically the whole staff hasn't seen live, and who is playing in a low level league. Maybe Demidov ends up being the steal of the draft, but there's a reason a lot of scouts had big concerns.
What let you think the CHL is so much better than the MHL?

Demidov was pretty much top 3 everywhere. So what big concerns do you talk about?

I also wonder why we run a Russian scout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad