Prospect Info: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2024 Draft, the Ducks take Beckett Sennecke

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Oct 18, 2011
Didn't interview him and was 11th on the Mckenzie rankings.

It was rumored Verbeek watched him alot, did he overrule the scouts or did they come to a consensus? That matters.

This is Verbeeks 3rd draft, it's his 2nd clear reach based on consensus rankings, the other was Gaucher, which I defended him on but that's not looking great 2 years later

I hope the kid is good and the last few months he had were an indicator of where he's going, but still it's not the best draft management, when you pick 3rd I think you want more than a couple of good months

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
According to the Madden interview from the other day, it sounds like this wasn't a forced by GM pick or a team need pick. This was their guy.
Didn't interview him and was 11th on the Mckenzie rankings.

It was rumored Verbeek watched him alot, did he overrule the scouts or did they come to a consensus? That matters.

This is Verbeeks 3rd draft, it's his 2nd clear reach based on consensus rankings, the other was Gaucher, which I defended him on but that's not looking great 2 years later

I hope the kid is good and the last few months he had were an indicator of where he's going, but still it's not the best draft management

Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Also, I'm not trying to defend the pick by any means. But when you've got a talented group of other players at this position, whoever you pick you're confident that they're going to be an impact player and it's not some kind of gamble on potential. On a certain level, yeah all picks are gambles on potential, but the Ducks scouting staff sees this kid as BPA and so it probably doesn't feel like as much of a gamble to them as it does to us. They aren't messing around with a third overall pick.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
This was a draft with a jumble of players in the 2 - 10 rankings. There were reasonable comments that the players in that range could go in any order, and in fact they have. Iginla was picked 6, Yakemchuk 7, and Silayev 10. The Ducks went with Sennecke at 3, and while it was a bit of a surprise it wasn't a total surprise, particularly when you look at the subsequent order of the picks. Let us hope for the best.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I think it was more like they didn't interview him again. That's what I got from that comment. He was talking in reference to teams he interviewed with yesterday I thought.

Yeah wasn’t he talking about the night before?

He definitely was.
Not according to the tweet The Duck Knight posted. Says he "never" interviewed with them. That seems problematic if that is their approach these days.

If it was someone they never thought they could get, like Fowler in '10, that's one thing. But you pretty much have your pick of everyone. I don't see how you don't interview everyone you're interested in. Even if you gain nothing from it, it can't possibly hurt.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Not according to the tweet The Duck Knight posted. Says he "never" interviewed with them. That seems problematic if that is their approach these days.

If it was someone they never thought they could get, like Fowler in '10, that's one thing. But you pretty much have your pick of everyone. I don't see how you don't interview everyone you're interested in. Even if you gain nothing from it, it can't possibly hurt.
Teams don't draft players they don't have all possible info on, especially that high. If they didn't interview, there was a reason for it. The team didn't go in blind.

Reactions: Kalv

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What I want to know is how is his hockey IQ/hockey sense ? I hear alot about his speed, hands and drive to the net.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA

Depends where that quote came from. He said those words but if it’s from the TV interview there wasn’t full context.

Reactions: ADHB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad