Confirmed with Link: Avs sign D Erik Brännström 900k X 1 year

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Im shocked. one more signing and... one more with zero Columbus connection? what is this??? is this real life??? what happened with the Avs I knew and loved so much for years and years????

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
He's a good player guys.

Pros:
Excellent puck mover, and very fast in transition. Excellent team player, and well-liked in the locker room. He will throw his body around and is feisty.

Cons:
Small. Can't clear the front of the net regularly. Not overly strong. Gap control can be an issue. Little to no offense generation (although he had his best season last year with 20 pts)

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
He's a good player guys.

Pros:
Excellent puck mover, and very fast in transition. Excellent team player, and well-liked in the locker room. He will throw his body around and is feisty.

Cons:
Small. Can't clear the front of the net regularly. Not overly strong. Gap control can be an issue. Little to no offense generation (although he had his best season last year with 20 pts)
Sounds like Girard, but less good (and significantly cheaper).

I like what most of the Sens fans have had to say about Kelly and Brannstrom.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I love all the criticism. The way AVS players use that to throw smack on people's faces is a joy to see.

I remember people ragging Burakovski and Nukes stats before they got here. People even dissed Kadri.

Let's see how this one turns out. I bet he's a very important cog in our very successful wheel.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Im shocked. one more signing and... one more with zero Columbus connection? what is this??? is this real life??? what happened with the Avs I knew and loved so much for years and years????
For all we know, Brannstrom could have had his first AE/60 experience with someone from The Ohio State University during a road trip where they played the Blue Jackets

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I wish they would have used the brainstorm and CDH money on a better player

You'll be surprised. In reality, Brannstrom is not very different than Matt Grzelcyk (who's game has dipped recently). I think it's smarter to sign Brannstrom (particularly at that price) than Matt Grzelcyk who just signed for 2.75 AAV in Pittsburgh.

Here's the progression I talked about yesterday :

Of course, Brannstrom is not a top pairing D-man but he'll give you safe/reliable 2-way hockey from the 3rd pair and can successfully fill in for injuries, like he did every time Chabot was injured.

You'll see, one of the best value signings of the off-season. Ottawa is just stupid beyond measure. I thought it would stop with Dorion gone but looking at the draft and the recent signings I'm not too sure.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Good signing. Can’t do any better for the price point.

I think he’ll be a day 1 starter. I don’t even think he’s a reclamation project. He’s a NHL’er with perhaps a little bit of potential, but he’s not a guy who needs to improve to play in the league.

It’s just king of a wait and see at this point on who is getting traded and who’s coming back.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Happy for you Avs fans, Brannchise was very poorly developed by DJ Smith. He played RD growing up but DJ doesn't like him playing his offside, but shoehorned him in as a 3rd pairing guy who happened to excel at that role and was never a liability on the ice when asked to step up in the top 4 (when Chabot or Sanderson got hurt).

For his contract he'll provide full value and you guys will turn him into a solid NHLer imo. Good luck Branny

Reactions: Mighty Makar

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
If Brannstrom prefers the right side my guess is he's the favourite for the 3rd pair RD spot, next to either De Haan or Behrens if he really impresses.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Brannstrom prefers the right side my guess is he's the favourite for the 3rd pair RD spot, next to either De Haan or Behrens if he really impresses.
He "prefers" the right side but sucks ass defensively and is prone to turning the puck over in the d-zone. I'd play him on his natural side to give him a chance.

Also Ottawa lack RHD so we're not sure if he actually prefers that or that was his only way to make the team.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Ottawa's defense was low key kind of trash the whole year.

I remember close to the start of last season some clown shoe was saying they have one of the best top 6F and top 4D cores in the league. And I said their defense was a tire fire.

Does Brannstrom become an RFA after this season if he works out?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
He "prefers" the right side but sucks ass defensively and is prone to turning the puck over in the d-zone. I'd play him on his natural side to give him a chance.

Also Ottawa lack RHD so we're not sure if he actually prefers that or that was his only way to make the team.
Ok thanks boss!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad