With Jack Edwards retired is Marc Moser (Avalanche) the biggest homer on a broadcast?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That crew always had Edwards beat.

I always liked Edwards. Whenever I heard him call a Rangers/Bruins game, I found him to be one of the more fair commentators to the Rangers in the league, actually. Rick Nash had an insane assist against them and Edwards absolutely flipped out about it.

I think the thing with Edwards is that his energy is crazy and can be off-putting, and also, he does legitimately hate Montreal, so he got out of pocket in those games.

But like, I've heard at least ten crews that are more depressing when the road team scores. That Avs crew chief among them.

He is selectively energetic and always a homer.

I love watching fights with him commentating after a Bruins player gets demolished to hear silence, it is hilarious.

I don't care that he is a homer so much as he will attack players and call them bums or something while they are infinitely more successful than him.

I think he is one of the most punchable people in hockey and wouldn't dare confront players and say the same to their faces, so I am not a fan of those types of people.

Question for others (and yourself)

How do people feel about Bowen? I know he is a homer, but curious if people think he is a somewhat fair homer and fairly respectful since that is my opinion of him.

• Haha
Reactions: Samhockey3

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Another thing to keep in mind, the Avalanche literally own the network that broadcasts Avs games. These guys are yes-men and essentially are required to glaze the Avs constantly. It is what it is. They will not remove them because of road fans being disgruntled or whatever.

I suggest doing what I do, and tuning in to the away broadcast.

This is true of the Rangers and MSG Network as well and yet they still manage to be professional.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
he is amazing but he is a blue light special Mike Haynes

This is the most impressive thing to me, a lot of fans don't realize Haynes has been gone since 2018 and Moser was their former radio guy, they're 2 different people. From 2009-2018 they had Moser on radio and Haynes in the tv booth, insane

• Haha
Reactions: luiginb

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
Edwards was really only over the top with division rivals or when the games started to get physical and it turned into a cartoonish WWE call
As a habs fan from New England he always annoyed me.

But I will say when he was calling neutral games for OLN (vs before vs was a channel) he called and exciting game

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I'll always love Edwards enthusiasm. He always respected the other team when they made a great play.

I forget if it was Minnesota or Colorado, but one of them always just sounded so dry or disappointed when the other team did something.

When his team scores he would go crazy but when the opposition did he went "And he.... scores... :| " just no energy and no emotion.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I actually like having commentators like Edward’s and Colorado, especially for home broadcasting, they should have bias they are the HOME commentators. They should reflect what home fans want and see and feel for the team during the game.

Watching the Avs game, you got the sense that the commentators were Avs fans and it feels more genuine and entertaining to hear them call it. Watching the Sportsnet guys talk about the team being as bland as possible and not with the enthusiasm.

I really enjoy watching Joe Bowen highlights where someone I think cuts his audio on top of the game.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
It's tough to listen to Moser, but I think his Marty Byron-sounding henchman is even worse to listen to. I really didn't like Edwards, but I'd rather listen to him bloviate than these two clowns.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Hrudey is by far the biggest homer in the NHL. The guy would try and convince you grass is purple if it made the Flames sound better. It’s amazing how many absolutely horrific takes he’s had over the years. You just at least don’t have to listen to him as much because he’s the colour guy.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Avs guys sure are bias af but that's kind of their job. They also take themselves lightly. I actually enjoy their nonsense. Occasionally find it funny as well.

Edwards was just pure cringe and you couldn't find him funny at all. Rather batshit crazy.

Wings guys are the most neutral and they are a joy.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He is selectively energetic and always a homer.

I love watching fights with him commentating after a Bruins player gets demolished to hear silence, it is hilarious.

I don't care that he is a homer so much as he will attack players and call them bums or something while they are infinitely more successful than him.

I think he is one of the most punchable people in hockey and wouldn't dare confront players and say the same to their faces, so I am not a fan of those types of people.

Question for others (and yourself)

How do people feel about Bowen? I know he is a homer, but curious if people think he is a somewhat fair homer and fairly respectful since that is my opinion of him.

Bowen is more passive aggressive with his bias, but he has his moments too. I recall a playoff game a couple years back where he was just pleading with the refs to give the leafs a powerplay without explicitly saying it. It was cringy stuff.

Bowen has seen so much failure though is his career, so I'm tempted to give him a pass when he sounds a little crazy.

Bard Marchand

Oct 24, 2023
To be fair…they’re just drunk fans that the Avs hired, that explains the weird tangents they go on. Like when they’re going on about what colour of orange is the ducks jersey or that time one of them had kidney stones. It’s just you and the boys watching hockey and getting a little wobbly.
When the guy started talking about his kidney stones last night I was just like PLEASE GOD STOP.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I don't see why people have an issue with local broadcasters being homers. It's literally their job.

I get it if it was a national broadcaster. But the local's audience is fans of the team.
Being a homer is one thing, but Edwards was disrespectful. Bruins fans complaining about being called/not called, intelligent fans. Non-Bruins fans doing the same thing were ridiculous. Edwards constantly bitched about calls missed that would have resulted in a Bruins power play and never seemed to think the Bruins should be called for a penalty- unless it was a fighting major, which was always won by the Bruin. The only exceptions to the Bruins not winning a fight would be when the Bruin was jumped or much was smaller. The Bruins would never do something so cowardly, of course!

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
Maybe Tripp Tracey? Not sure if he's a homer in the sense of the word or if he just really, really, really, really loves the Canes.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
That crew always had Edwards beat.

I always liked Edwards. Whenever I heard him call a Rangers/Bruins game, I found him to be one of the more fair commentators to the Rangers in the league, actually. Rick Nash had an insane assist against them and Edwards absolutely flipped out about it.

I think the thing with Edwards is that his energy is crazy and can be off-putting, and also, he does legitimately hate Montreal, so he got out of pocket in those games.

But like, I've heard at least ten crews that are more depressing when the road team scores. That Avs crew chief among them.
I agree with you about Edwards. He had the over the top moments/calls he was noted for, but in every game I actually watched with him calling he was very fair. Definitely a Boston homer, but still fair to the other team when they were playing well.

Reactions: Machinehead

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
Edwards energy didn't change regardless of whether the bruins scored or the opposition. You knew it bothered him if it wasn't the bruins, but that was the difference in his brand of homerism.

Everything was amplified.

This was one of his best calls and it was one of many brutal moments for the Bruins this season:

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Altitude's primary goal is entertainment for the home crowd. They absolutely do not take themselves seriously, and I like that about them. There are some obvious things that make you put your face into your hands, but overall I find it an enjoyable experience. They are absolutely biased, but they are on the network that owns the Avs. You kinda have to go out of your way to watch them if you aren't an Avs fan.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Stop complaining about local broadcasters being homers or else Gary is going to see this and replace them all with the TikTok AI voice to make it "neutral."

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
If you're going to be an announcer in a major sport, you should have the restraint and professionalism not to audibly sigh. Avs broadcast crew is by far the worst in the league right now and likely all of sports

Reactions: TheNeutralPresident

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad