Witcher III : PT III : Blood and Winos

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah, I guess that was a weird thing. And I'm not even sure why he thought it would even work with Geralt.

Not only that, but to pick him over Roche?!

I mean, that isn't a very compelling choice. Anyone picking Djikstra is doing it for the lulz/curiosity.

Although that might not be fair to say for people who hadn't played the second game; Roche doesn't do much in this one.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
As someone who came into the story knowing nothing of what came before it was really very obvious which direction the story was pushing you to go in terms of love interest. Like it was sledgehammer level subtle that Geralt and Yennifer are intended to be together.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I feel Yenn's personality worked nly because of who Geralt is. They just seem to fit more like a glove.

Triss was more of a nice fling. Especially when you know the backstory behind everything, in which case Triss comes off as even worse.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Not only that, but to pick him over Roche?!

I mean, that isn't a very compelling choice. Anyone picking Djikstra is doing it for the lulz/curiosity.

Although that might not be fair to say for people who hadn't played the second game; Roche doesn't do much in this one.
As someone who didn't like Roche much in the second game, it was still impossible for me to side with Djikstra. It was one of the big moments in the game that I agree was pretty poorly handled.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
As someone who came into the story knowing nothing of what came before it was really very obvious which direction the story was pushing you to go in terms of love interest. Like it was sledgehammer level subtle that Geralt and Yennifer are intended to be together.

I think that is why I opted to go with Triss and ignore any kind of personal relationship with Yen. I didn't like how it felt like you were pushed towards her.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
Just got this game.

Am I going to get used to the controls somehow? Because it feels like my character is simultaneously slogging through mud, uncontrollably lurching around, and suffering like 15 frames of input lag. It's giving me a massive headache and making me not want to play.

Hopefully this isn't too contentious a comparison, but I'm coming off my first and second playthroughs of Dark Souls, and it feels like the difference between a crisp fighting game and a browser beat-em-up in terms of responsiveness and smoothness.

Playing on PC with an Xbox 360 controller.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Just got this game.

Am I going to get used to the controls somehow? Because it feels like my character is simultaneously slogging through mud, uncontrollably lurching around, and suffering like 15 frames of input lag. It's giving me a massive headache and making me not want to play.

Have you tried option "movement response" - Alternate?

Either way it's not actually supposed to be crisp, but with alternate at least the walking is better.

I also think KB/M is better, especially regarding aiming.

Also if you're using lock-on, try not using it. I think it's garbage and rarely helpful.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
The ******* gwent player in Vizima keeps kicking my ass.

Yeah he is a big hurdle to climb early on.

Though Gwent does get to a point later where just about every opponent is too easy. I have had to use the Skellige deck just to add some difficulty to my matches. Lost to the Halflings at the wedding in HoS (dropped Cerys to start the second round forgetting the opponent decoy'd a Villentretenmerth a few turns earlier).

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Just got this game.

Hopefully this isn't too contentious a comparison, but I'm coming off my first and second playthroughs of Dark Souls, and it feels like the difference between a crisp fighting game and a browser beat-em-up in terms of responsiveness and smoothness.

Playing on PC with an Xbox 360 controller.

I'm not crazy about some aspects of dark souls combat myself, but I noticed the input lag issues with Witcher 3 as well. What is that? Is it baked into the game or something? I thought it was just some issue with the ps4s Bluetooth being lousy.
The controls are some of the most sluggish unresponsive crap I've ever seen. It honestly feels like theres something wrong with my tv because theres like 200 ms of input lag but I've tried it with other tvs, its just the game. The combat is also tedius and theres really not a lot of useful strategies outside of jumping around like a maniac.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The ******* gwent player in Vizima keeps kicking my ass.

Google "Foltest 2". I used that strategy from the beginning of the game all the way through the expansions and Gwent became easy mode. The only times I'd have a little bit of a problem are opponents using the Monster deck and having those crazy multipliers but even than you can usually bait the AI into overplaying one hand and win the other two.

Also, spies are so money.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah he is a big hurdle to climb early on.

Though Gwent does get to a point later where just about every opponent is too easy. I have had to use the Skellige deck just to add some difficulty to my matches. Lost to the Halflings at the wedding in HoS (dropped Cerys to start the second round forgetting the opponent decoy'd a Villentretenmerth a few turns earlier).

Which cards should I am to get first?

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Which cards should I am to get first?

Get any card you can. Buy them off vendors. Play anyone and everyone in gwent if you get the chance (just about every armorer/bartender/salesman will play). Speak to major NPCs often until they show up for a gwent game.

You don't really get a choice. You just collect what you can.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
Have you tried option "movement response" - Alternate?

Either way it's not actually supposed to be crisp, but with alternate at least the walking is better.

I also think KB/M is better, especially regarding aiming.

Also if you're using lock-on, try not using it. I think it's garbage and rarely helpful.

Tried Alternate Control yesterday, and it's definitely an improvement. Still not ideal, but hey. I heard there's an .ini file setting to up the "responsiveness" of the left thumbstick, which I guess is different from the sensitivity setting (read: gain). I'll give that a shot. Also, yeah, dropping lock-on helped a lot, thanks.

I've also changed switched the buttons for so that Light attack is R1 and Heavy Attack is R2, so that I can actually move the camera during combat lol. It's doing a lot to improve my experience, and I'm fairly sure I'll continue on to a full playthrough.

I'm not crazy about some aspects of dark souls combat myself, but I noticed the input lag issues with Witcher 3 as well. What is that? Is it baked into the game or something? I thought it was just some issue with the ps4s Bluetooth being lousy.

From what I've read, the input lag seems to be purposely added to the game, something about your guy's "inertia", and keeping the animation as realistic as possible. It's definitely not hardware-related - I'm using a hardwired xbox 360 controller.

I guess the idea is to keep the game as immersive as possible by not having you able to turn on a dime and accelerate/change direction impossibly quickly, but tbh I find it WAYYYY more immersion breaking when I can't even move my character around precisely. I don't have to turn on a dime in real life because I'm never going to overshoot something I'm trying to pick up, and I'm never going to accidentally light a candle instead of talking to someone.

But hey, most of my all-time favorite games are fighting games or other highly mechanics-based, non-story-based games, so I'm very biased on the whole realistic vs responsive thing.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
From what I've read, the input lag seems to be purposely added to the game, something about your guy's "inertia", and keeping the animation as realistic as possible. It's definitely not hardware-related - I'm using a hardwired xbox 360 controller.

I wouldn't even really call it input lag even if that's the method used to create the effect. It's more of a timing mechanism based on the animations.

But it's also a balancing issue in that the game isn't made for more precise movements, so having them would make easier. Well it's pretty easy anyway but you get the idea :P

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The shrieker made me his ***** on several occasions. How do I get past that nutsack?

Monster contracts are usually much higher level than you, if you're the proper level, make sure you have your leveled skills actually equipped in the slots, they do nothing otherwise. Also use quen, it makes you invincible for the first hit (unless the enemy is 20 levels higher).

most monsters have a pretty predictable attack pattern, hit it twice then dodger, that usually works.

You could just not have good enough equipment yet thought, early in the game you're weaker than your level because of sub par equipment.

I'd just move on from it.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
I wouldn't even really call it input lag even if that's the method used to create the effect. It's more of a timing mechanism based on the animations.

But it's also a balancing issue in that the game isn't made for more precise movements, so having them would make easier. Well it's pretty easy anyway but you get the idea :P

As far as I can tell the startup animation doesn't happen out of combat, so it's really not a balance issue :P

Reminds me, the notoriously awful fighting game Shaq Fu included significant startup frames for jumping and recovery frames on landing. Pretty analogous. Check it out:

Timestamped youtube video

edit: at the end of the video, it says that they actually basically mo-capped real people to do their pre-jump and landing frames, and that's why it ended up the way it did. Actually pretty relevant - I'm sure they must've done tons of mo-capping to get the Witcher movement to look the way it does.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
So, I played the Of Swords and Dumplings quest today. After going to the warehouse I fought Erst van Hoorn and was ready to go and collect my reward, Van Hoorn just vanished out of thin air and I got a "quest failed" message on the screen, even though Van Hoorn was killed and I did everything right. During the fight Van Hoorn was invisible for a while :laugh:

This was really frustrating since it took me like an hour to finish since I was level 15 when I started the quest. Anyone else have this bug before?

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Never had that issue. I remember that last fight being kinda buggy, though.

What bugged me about that quest was the reward sword was utter garbage compared to what I was using at the time.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
This thread getting bumped and my recent return to PC gaming made me purchase the Witcher 2 and 3 for PC (had completed 3 for PS4 already); I'm early on in Chapter 2 for Witcher 2 (never played before, fun game but I definitely see they improved a lot in Witcher 3 so it's a little annoying to go "backwards") - I am future-blaming all of you for the 120 hours of my life I'm about to loose to these play-throughs.

But damn its fun. What a series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad