Witcher III : PT III : Blood and Winos

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
One thing I didnt realize for embarrassingly long (at normal difficulty)

Meditation heals you

:laugh:
Yea it's key for sure. Doesn't heal you on the hardest difficulty though.
So I don't need to play the other two, but I should consider playing 2 because it is also a good game?

Just skip 1?

It's up to you. 3 is a better game in every single way than 2, so if you play 3 chances are it's going to be hard going back to 2.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So I don't need to play the other two, but I should consider playing 2 because it is also a good game?

Just skip 1?

I think the only things to remember about the game are Geralt saved Foltest from an assassin and the Wild Hunt is bad juju.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Just skip 1?

1 is an excellent game as well, but it's a different type of game and has bad combat. 1 is closer to a traditional RPG, 2 and 3 are basically story oriented action games with some RPG trappings. 1 obviously has substantially inferior production values as well.

2 and 3 aren't really world beaters in combat either for that matter but they are action oriented and more just run of the mill bad and not horrible :laugh:

Most likely if you like 3, you will also like 2. If you're not married to "open world", you might actually like 2 better as I do in some respects.

If you're not a big RPG player, or long games in general, I would suggest starting with 3. Not because it's necessarily better but it has the broadest appeal and the most content. Playing the shorter game, getting burnt out, and then skipping 3 might end up happening that way :laugh:.

Anyways still playing B&W casually (an hour or two a night) and having a great time. Just beat the "Spoon Wight" quest last night, that whole setting was the creepiest part of the whole game IMO.

This game is just fantastic. My main file is well over 100 hours and I havent even started the second playthrough yet. Just incredible amounts of detail and story telling.

I legitimately cannot imagine playing this game twice :laugh:. Way too long.

Finished Hearts but haven't started B&W yet due to a Torment diversion.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I legitimately cannot imagine playing this game twice :laugh:. Way too long.

Finished Hearts but haven't started B&W yet due to a Torment diversion.

I'm on my third playthrough.

First playthrough was the vanilla game. Second included HoS, and my third include B&W. Really hard to get time to play when B&W has so much going on.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I just checked, I got 418 hours in TW3. :help:

Anyway, Witcher 1 is a great game, and CDPR did wonders with the Bioware Aurora engine. The Jacques de Alderberg story is pretty neat, it's very atmospheric and the music is fantastic. Sub plots are pretty good and the world is fleshed out nicely.
But... Combat is clunky and the game is for acquired tastes, like Sniper said... If you're not into RPGs, skip it.

Witcher 2 was fantastic for me, but again, it's an acquired taste.
The combat is still "adequate" at best, but the story, characters, subplot, quests, etc... Are all great.
It's got a very political story, whereas TW3's story has some politics but in the end, is more personal.
I loved TW2, it had it flaws, but it was a masterpiece from a growing studio.

That said, I think there's a decent chance you burn yourself out if you play 1 or 2 and then start on 3.
Get a video on youtube to get the basics of the lore, and a rough outline on what happened in 1 and 2.

For me, TW3 is the best game I've ever played (I've poured more house into Skyrim and Dark Souls series and Dota before that, but they're different games).

Geralt is fleshed out in a way that he feels more "mine" than any of the ME Shepards for example. He's a set protagonist, but he's "mine" and I care about him more than I ever did for Shepard in ME1 (which I loved).
Story is great, so are the quests - and the side-quests are the best you'll find in any game.
Here's why they work so great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkA3KKSHx9o

Voice acting is fantastic, as are the facial animations. Graphics and music is atmosphere is absolutely top notch.
Characters you'll love or you'll hate, but very few will leave you indifferent.
The amount of emotional attachment you get for some of the characters is ridiculous.
The world is massive and beautiful and rewards exploration. It's also very "believable" in terms of how the society functions - from the peasants being gullible and uneducated, to thieves and criminals swearing like there's no tomorrow, to the church being the presence that it was in medieval Europe.
The attention to detail in the game is flat out amazing, and its got loads and loads of artistic integrity - you can see that the devs put their hearts and souls into the game.
They also listen to the fans, correct mistakes and aren't afraid to make fun of their own cheesiness or errors ("killing monsters" scene with Lambert, etc.).
It's humor is also great, something underrated about the game, from the Kaer Morhen scenes to going to the bank to pick up a check etc.

Combat is, well... Adequate. But once you're used to it, put on the hardest mode (Death March) and "enemy upscalling" and it gets better.

However, I wouldn't want combat to be all Souls-like, it wouldn't mesh well with such a gigantic game and exploration.
If you want my advice, play it slow, explore, never skip dialogues, and you'll find yourself loving it.

It's The Wire of games, friends. :D

TLDR; like Sniper, Ar, and the guys said... maybe skip 1 and 2, watch a video or two to catch up on the story and dive into 3.
You can always come back for 1 and 2 later.

Also, if you got some patience, try Gwent. It's a lovely little mini-game (online stand alone game coming out soon as a consquence).

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
how do you find how many hours you are in on ps4?

Did original + HOS and than original + BaW. Currently doing the complete thing again. Love this game.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
how do you find how many hours you are in on ps4?

Did original + HOS and than original + BaW. Currently doing the complete thing again. Love this game.

On Xbox you go into the Inventory menu then press RT to go to "player stats". Probably similar on PS4

Just checked mine: 131 hours and 38 minutes

I finished the main quest at 87 hours. So I put in 44 hours in Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine so far and I feel like ive barely scratched the surface of Blood and Wine. Ive likely spent 5-6 hours of that time cleaning up the main game maps, though. Pro tip - The Grandmaster Witcher Gear is damn expensive, so those treaure hunts and ? marks on the main game map you forgot will need to be explored to make the money to afford the gear.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I still think I enjoyed the main story in TW1 & TW2 more than TW3. Others may disagree with that. I also liked the characters better overall in TW2. Roche, Ioveth, Letho, Zoltan, Philippa, Sile, and even a lot of the secondary/tertiary characters were more enjoyable and well fleshed out IMO. Where TW3 beats TW2 IMO is the refinement of gameplay and mechanics, the sheer size/exploration (although in many ways I prefer a more focused game), graphics, and abundance of quality side quests (although TW2 had a lot of good side quests as well).

I can see how many would prefer TW3's main story simply because it's more personal and straight forward where TW2 had a much more complex story and was very politically oriented. It takes at least a few playthroughs to really get everything that's going on in TW2. However, overall I feel that the story is of higher quality in TW2. Having such a massive game in a way limits what you can do with the story. IMO, even Hearts of Stone blows away the main story in TW3.

If you gave me TW2 with the upgraded engine and gameplay mechanics of TW3, I think it would be extremely difficult for me to go back to TW3.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I preferred the intrigue in the first and second game by a fair margin. There isn't much mystery in this game's overarching plot: there's bad guys, they want Ciri, you fight them. And then the political side of things is incredibly simple and turns good characters from the novels into caricatures of themselves (Djikstra being the poster boy).

Geralt's relationships with the other important characters is what drives The Wild Hunt's story and, on that front, it does very well. The conclusion is so satisfying.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I preferred the intrigue in the first and second game by a fair margin. There isn't much mystery in this game's overarching plot: there's bad guys, they want Ciri, you fight them. And then the political side of things is incredibly simple and turns good characters from the novels into caricatures of themselves (Djikstra being the poster boy).

Geralt's relationships with the other important characters is what drives The Wild Hunt's story and, on that front, it does very well. The conclusion is so satisfying.

would be awesome if they did a remastered version of #2 for ps4. I know and understand this wont happen but it would be fantastic for those that have only played 3.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What was wrong with Djikstra?

The way his sidequest resolves in Witcher 3 is completely out of character. It was ham fisted and really reeked of "well we need to have this end with a choice between good and evil".

Nothing major but as someone who read all the books it really struck me.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Yeah, I guess that was a weird thing. And I'm not even sure why he thought it would even work with Geralt.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Put about 50 hours into the main story. My only big regret is trying to get both triss and yennifer.

very minor spoiler but if you pick one geralt retires as a witcher but if you sleep with both geralt lives the rest of his days as a broke regretful witcher. Its really easy to get the good endings for ciri but I bet almost everybody got the bad ending for geralt on their first playthrough (or at least 50/50)

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Put about 50 hours into the main story. My only big regret is trying to get both triss and yennifer.

very minor spoiler but if you pick one geralt retires as a witcher but if you sleep with both geralt lives the rest of his days as a broke regretful witcher. Its really easy to get the good endings for ciri but I bet almost everybody got the bad ending for geralt on their first playthrough (or at least 50/50)

I screwed up the relationship with Triss and never got with her. Apparently I answered the one key question wrong.

Fitting, much like real life

:laugh:

I got the Yenn relationship/Ciri neutral ending.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007

Anyone who knows anything knows that you go with Yennifer 100%. ;)

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I like the combat in The Witcher 3. I've kinda got sick with combat systems that are so overloaded with spells/moves/abilities/etc, that I was jonesing for something that was simpler than the usual, and was fun, and engaging. I feel like the Witcher was exactly that. I never got sick of cutting down bandits like stalks of corn. On deathmarch, mistakes are pretty costly, and the block, parry/counterattack, dodge, system is simple, but great.

Anyone who knows anything knows that you go with Yennifer 100%. ;)

Yennifer is clearly the best choice. I did however find myself really getting attached to Triss, though. I won't spoil the story for any who haven't played it, but progressing through her story line really warmed me up to her, while being incredibly protective of her considering the circumstances. Now if you put Yenn up against Cerys, that'd be a tougher call. ;)

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Honestly the quen spell is so overpowered that I can't say the combat is good. It's way too simplified and there's really only one correct build. Load up your skill points in attack and quen.

But I will say that yeah, it does feel like triss is merely a supporting character in the game and that yennifer is technically the "correct" choice

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Honestly the quen spell is so overpowered that I can't say the combat is good. It's way too simplified and there's really only one correct build. Load up your skill points in attack and quen.

But I will say that yeah, it does feel like triss is merely a supporting character in the game and that yennifer is technically the "correct" choice

In my third play through and its my first time where I have went with Yen and ignored Triss. Have to say the stuffed unicorn reference at the opening of the game makes sense now :laugh: . The last two times I ignored Yen's request to come visit her when you arrive in Skellige.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007

There are more fun builds than what you said and that are just as effective.

I like the combat in The Witcher 3. I've kinda got sick with combat systems that are so overloaded with spells/moves/abilities/etc, that I was jonesing for something that was simpler than the usual, and was fun, and engaging. I feel like the Witcher was exactly that. I never got sick of cutting down bandits like stalks of corn. On deathmarch, mistakes are pretty costly, and the block, parry/counterattack, dodge, system is simple, but great.

Yennifer is clearly the best choice. I did however find myself really getting attached to Triss, though. I won't spoil the story for any who haven't played it, but progressing through her story line really warmed me up to her, while being incredibly protective of her considering the circumstances. Now if you put Yenn up against Cerys, that'd be a tougher call. ;)
Haha it is really only the books that make Yenn the obvious choice for me. If I were to go solely based off the games the choice would be much more difficult.

Deathmarch in this game really adds more depth to the combat. You need to use everything at your disposal in order to do well. Oils, potions, signs, proper gear, etc. I feel like anyone who says the combat in the game is just button mashing and Quen never played it on the higher difficulties.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I didn't. Yennifer was annoying me as the story progressed.

My Geralt lived happily ever after with Triss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad