Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Looks like he is staying there another year.

I looked at that prior to responding to you and even at the beginning of July the report said it is likely he would be back in the KHL this year. Now it is late August and he just went through training camp with his KHL team and his regular season starts in a couple of days. Maybe next season but no chance this season.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I looked at that prior to responding to you and even at the beginning of July the report said it is likely he would be back in the KHL this year. Now it is late August and he just went through training camp with his KHL team and his regular season starts in a couple of days. Maybe next season but no chance this season.
My guess is he never comes over.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The biggest question for me going into the 24-25 season is where is Lambert in his development. Sending him down to junior late in the 22-23 season now seems to be a stroke of genius by Chevy. By playing with peers he got to feel offense again and then that carried into the 23-24 season with the Moose where he was their top forward. My question is, is his development arc now pointing straight up where he can jump into the NHL and be an effective middle 6 center? Because if he can that changes a lot of the discussion of this team's potential.
It seemed like Lambert really started developing when he took a step back. Maybe rushing him isn't in his best interest

That said, it can't hurt to give him a look at the start of the season and if it looks like he isn't thriving, send him back to the Moose and let him dominate there and run Names as 2C

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It seemed like Lambert really started developing when he took a step back. Maybe rushing him isn't in his best interest

That said, it can't hurt to give him a look at the start of the season and if it looks like he isn't thriving, send him back to the Moose and let him dominate there and run Names as 2C
I think these kids have to win a job, whether it be Lambert, Chibrikov or Ford...show you can do the job better than the person you are competing with. Otherwise you are ELC depth. I think there are safe vets going into TC that only have to give 50%, but for a guy like Kupari a bad TC could put him on waivers.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think these kids have to win a job, whether it be Lambert, Chibrikov or Ford...show you can do the job better than the person you are competing with. Otherwise you are ELC depth. I think there are safe vets going into TC that only have to give 50%, but for a guy like Kupari a bad TC could put him on waivers.
Yes, they need to play well - that goes without saying.
But there is hope in the air that a guy like Lambert can jump in fairly quick and progress just as quickly.
Personally, I'm looking for something new and shiny to show up and make it tough for the Jets to ignore - not just a depth pce
Probably wishful thinking more than anything - but we need an injection.

might as well . . .

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
And the top line loses its speed even more?
Also doubt Perfetti plays ahead of KC.

Edit: Realize you said to start pre season, I don't think they'd go with for when the games actually matter seem like Names is being talked up to start at 2c . But we'll have to see
The top line is slower no doubt, but I was thinking of sheltering both Lambert and Perfetti with a couple of vets on their lines.

I do think they will stick with C-S-V as their #1 line, and have Ehlers and Perfetti on the 2nd line. Names is likely the 2C to start the season, but I'm hopeful they try Lambert there, and if they do, I would think they shelter him with a couple of vets.

You could move Nino up, to add some size for Lambert too, but I don't see them moving Ehlers down to allow that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The top line is slower no doubt, but I was thinking of sheltering both Lambert and Perfetti with a couple of vets on their lines.

I do think they will stick with C-S-V as their #1 line, and have Ehlers and Perfetti on the 2nd line. Names is likely the 2C to start the season, but I'm hopeful they try Lambert there, and if they do, I would think they shelter him with a couple of vets.

You could move Nino up, to add some size for Lambert too, but I don't see them moving Ehlers down to allow that.

One of the reasons I'd like to see more balanced lines and an offensive 4th line to integrate Brad.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I don't know if it is rushing him? D+3 is not really a rush if the player excelled in the AHL in his D+2 season. Sure if he was coming out of junior you want more time, but Lambert was the best forward on our AHL team and was a league all star. Does he really need more grooming at that level? I'll add he is old for his draft class being born in December so in many respects he is closer in age to the draft prior to his.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't know if it is rushing him? D+3 is not really a rush if the player excelled in the AHL in his D+2 season. Sure if he was coming out of junior you want more time, but Lambert was the best forward on our AHL team and was a league all star. Does he really need more grooming at that level? I'll add he is old for his draft class being born in December so in many respects he is closer in age to the draft prior to his.
There was a comparison to him and Roslovic and I think that's a good one. Both played their first full season in the A at D+2. Roslovic split his time D+3 between Moose, as a C on a line with Petan and Appleton, and the Jets at RW with Little and Perreault mostly, including 10 playoff games.

Getting to the NHL as a winger has fast tracked a few players, most recently Perfetti.

If the Jets are serious about making Lambert a 2C who competes against elite centres in the league, I think there are all kinds of factors to consider: physical maturity first, conditioning, roles (do you want him to work on faceoffs, PK, all the things a good 2C should do? Two way game), and I suppose there is the confidence thing too. You want your young players to succeed...putting them in situations where they may not be able to can adversely affect a player's development. I feel like he's potentially ready for the NHL but I am not sure he's ready to be an NHL 2C. The one thing to consider though is he may not get the mentorship at the NHL level from the same group of players that he could this year...

Really can't say how the organization sees him going into this year, but the last time the Jets had a centre on the team in their d+3 was Andrew Copp, who was already in his first college year when drafted, with a July birthday that separated him by one draft year from Trouba. And that was as a 4C mostly.

Last edited:

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
There was a comparison to him and Roslovic and I think that's a good one. Both played their first full season in the A at D+2. Roslovic split his time D+3 between Moose, as a C on a line with Petan and Appleton, and the Jets at RW with Little and Perreault mostly, including 10 playoff games.

Getting to the NHL as a winger has fast tracked a few players, most recently Perfetti.

If the Jets are serious about making Lambert a 2C who competes against elite centres in the league, I think there are all kinds of factors to consider: physical maturity first, conditioning, roles (do you want him to work on faceoffs, PK, all the things a good 2C should do? Two way game), and I suppose there is the confidence thing too. You want your young players to succeed...putting them in situations where they may not be able to can adversely affect a player's development. I feel like he's potentially ready for the NHL but I am not sure he's ready to be an NHL 2C. The one thing to consider though is he may not get the mentorship at the NHL level from the same group of players that he could this year...

Really can't say how the organization sees him going into this year, but the last time the Jets had a centre on the team in their d+3 was Andrew Copp, who was already in his first college year when drafted, with a July birthday that separated him by one draft year from Trouba. And that was as a 4C mostly.

I think the way to develop him into a 2C is to give him a try as the 3C and let him grow. Lowry's line always takes the tough matchups for now, let Lambert play softer matchips with o-zone starts and with great wingers and see if he can take advantage, and at least not be a liability.

So something like:

Connor - Scheif - Ehlers/Vilardi
Nino - Lowry - Appleton
Perfetti - Lambert - Ehlers/Vilardi

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think the way to develop him into a 2C is to give him a try as the 3C and let him grow. Lowry's line always takes the tough matchups for now, let Lambert play softer matchips with o-zone starts and with great wingers and see if he can take advantage, and at least not be a liability.

So something like:

Connor - Scheif - Ehlers/Vilardi
Nino - Lowry - Appleton
Perfetti - Lambert - Ehlers/Vilardi
I think it would be pretty easy for the Jets to roll 4 lines where 2-4 are all in the same ice time range.

KC-Scheif-Valardi
Nino-Lambert-Ehlers
Perfetti-Namestnikov-Iafallo
Barron-Lowry-Appleton

I think that balances out good. But a coach has to look at special teams too and with Monahan gone, unless Barron becomes the 2C on the PK and improves on faceoffs there is a real void in that C position, so I feel like one of Gus or Kupari have a role to win, and Gus is good on the draw and the PK so he probably slides in there somewhere.

That's where I think the extra development time could help Lambert, but if he's hungry enough, I think this could be the year...maybe he starts on the Moose, and just works his way into the lineup where he can't be taken out of it...

Last edited:
Reactions: bumblebeeman

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

well then doesnt that cancel out? the top line is way slower and will be getting more minutes than the 2nd line. so how does that improve the team speed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad