Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think you are right about that. One of the reasons though that KFC is stapled to Scheif that people I think miss, is that Bones wanted them to both play 20 mins a game. If they are on different lines and given the way that Bones played Lowry's line, KFC would be closer to 15 minutes a game if he were on the "second line". He "had" to play them together to get them the minutes he wanted.

Now, perhaps Arniel roles the line in a more conventional way and the Lowry line plays 14 mins a night like other teams third lines,, then you could spread the wealth on the top two lines and have them both play 17-20 mins on separate lines. Bones only cared that 55-81 play a lot and that 17's line play the hard minutes. Perhaps Arniel sees more priority in getting 27 and 91 and even 93 more ice and doesn't see the need to get Apples out so much.
Sums it up pretty well. In order to make sure our top scorers got more ice time we play them together.

Unfortunately, the result of that is a bottom 5 top line in the NHL...

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I suspect that Mark's play previously when he has shown himself quite capable defensively is playing an impact as well. It's some time ago now but after that 17-18 season Mark was in a top 10 center discussion regularly because of his all around play, not just his offense. Were he to get back to that style of play consistently through the season I think many would reflect on the contract in a more positive light. He can do it; he seems to be choosing not to.
He also had a huge, fast power forward with amazing passing in his prime to play along side.

Less time in your own end makes everyone look better defensively. Hence all of us parrots harping on him needing to play with the top 10 transition forward in the NHL.

If anything I thought Scheif cleaned up his defensive game a fair bit last year. He just isn't being played with guys that help cover his weaknesses.

Reactions: voyageur and ps241

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Schief's new contract JUST kicked in three weeks ago, he hasn't played a single game on it, and people are already complaining about it

Every time him and Connor don't win a matchup, people are gonna bitch... I can feel it

Can anyone name a 5.3M centreman in the NHL that they'd trade Schief straight up for?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Schief's new contract JUST kicked in three weeks ago, he hasn't played a single game on it, and people are already complaining about it

Every time him and Connor don't win a matchup, people are gonna bitch... I can feel it

Can anyone name a 5.3M centreman in the NHL that they'd trade Schief straight up for?
1) Just trying to be objective about why he showed up on that Athletic list. I thoight those were fair reasons i gave.

2) You're probably right. I imagine we are both hoping it doesn't come to this, haha

3) I don't agree with that 5.3M part either. I do think that his defense starts to look better if him and Connor are separated and his true value is much more in line with his AAV.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Schief's favorite player is/was Yzerman. He became more of a defensive center as he aged.
Maybe Scheif will do this as he ages?
We do need someone to take the 1C spot in the next few seasons.

I agree with everyone that KC is not an ideal winger but they seemed to be glued together.
How much time has he played with Perfetti.
Perfetti Scheif Volare or
Perfetti Scheif Nino

In TC, I'd like to see them experiment somewhat and play some lines like Perfetti Scheif Kupari or KC Volare Lambert or something like that.
KC Lambert Ehlers would be lights out fast but kind of light.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

For that to be a fair question you prob should adjust that for NHL salary inflation... a $6m contract back then was prob equivalent to 8 now...

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
For that to be a fair question you prob should adjust that for NHL salary inflation... a $6m contract back then was prob equivalent to 8 now...
Sure, or we can use % of cap. Probably easier. His last one was 8.39%, his current one is 9.66% (according to puckpedia). The * is that his last contract was right out of his ELC, so it ate up 4 RFA years

I think schief's last contract provided excellent value for a few of those seasons. He was arguably a top 10 centre in the league for a couple of years

That's why I don't mind if this one provides less value, especially towards the end of it. I think any time a team signs a 30+ year old player to a 7 year deal, they're doing so knowing that they'll have to hold their noses towards the end of it. You just hope the cap goes up enough to offset that drop in value

The only ones the Jets have had to deal with so far were Wheeler and Buff and they both kinda-sorta worked out

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Sure, or we can use % of cap. Probably easier. His last one was 8.39%, his current one is 9.66% (according to puckpedia). The * is that his last contract was right out of his ELC, so it ate up 4 RFA years

I think schief's last contract provided excellent value for a few of those seasons. He was arguably a top 10 centre in the league for a couple of years

That's why I don't mind if this one provides less value, especially towards the end of it. I think any time a team signs a 30+ year old player to a 7 year deal, they're doing so knowing that they'll have to hold their noses towards the end of it. You just hope the cap goes up enough to offset that drop in value

The only ones the Jets have had to deal with so far were Wheeler and Buff and they both kinda-sorta worked out
Well let's hope he's still a solid player at age 36... otherwise this is basically $14.5m for four years - which is excessive...

I do think its an overpay and I don't think any other team would have offered him a deal like this... but then again Scheif is the face of the franchise and there really was no way TNSE was going to let him walk

Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Well let's hope he's still a solid player at age 36... otherwise this is basically $14.5m for four years - which is excessive...

I do think its an overpay and I don't think any other team would have offered him a deal like this... but then again Scheif is the face of the franchise and there really was no way TNSE was going to let him walk
Agreed to both

That said, the Jets didn't have many options for top 6 centers either

It's kinda like when the lights come on at 2:00am at the bar and you and the average lookng chick you've been chatting up all night both realize that neither one of you are gonna do any better, so you head home together l

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Agreed to both

That said, the Jets didn't have many options for top 6 centers either

It's kinda like when the lights come on at 2:00am at the bar and you and the average lookng chick you've been chatting up all night both realize that neither one of you are gonna do any better, so you head home together l
One of life's great pleasures haha

• Haha

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

55 is worth his contract when he plays the way he is capable of playing -
If he is not interested in the d side of the game, he is over paid - and I don't think he has much interest in D.
He'll show you spurts of what he is capable of - and then he reverts back to fly buys, zero back check, and late / slow changes -
All you can hope for is for him to recognize that and make a few adjustments - but I doubt you will see it consistently.
I get why the Jets signed him to this contract - he is our #1 center - period.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
He also had a huge, fast power forward with amazing passing in his prime to play along side.

Less time in your own end makes everyone look better defensively. Hence all of us parrots harping on him needing to play with the top 10 transition forward in the NHL.

If anything I thought Scheif cleaned up his defensive game a fair bit last year. He just isn't being played with guys that help cover his weaknesses.

Fair. I agree about Scheif last year in that he finally got back to his defensive game at least for the first half of the season. I thought the buy-in dropped off after the all-star break however. Might just be my failing eyes.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Fair. I agree about Scheif last year in that he finally got back to his defensive game at least for the first half of the season. I thought the buy-in dropped off after the all-star break however. Might just be my failing eyes.
It wasn't your failing eyes -
He looks really good in the first half but looked a lot less motivated in the back half.
I was hoping to see it come back in the PO's but it did not - but KC's game did look a lot better in the PO's (from a 2 way player stand point).
So based on both of them showing that they can be better, we know they can do it.

Reactions: Dale53130

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It wasn't your failing eyes -
He looks really good in the first half but looked a lot less motivated in the back half.
I was hoping to see it come back in the PO's but it did not - but KC's game did look a lot better in the PO's (from a 2 way player stand point).
So based on both of them showing that they can be better, we know they can do it.

He plays too many minutes for his age. He can't keep it up for a full 82 games like he could when he was in his mid 20's (2018). Get him in the 18 range and he likely can maintain that form all year.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He plays too many minutes for his age. He can't keep it up for a full 82 games like he could when he was in his mid 20's (2018). Get him in the 18 range and he likely can maintain that form all year.
I agree - and his minutes would likely be reduced naturally if he put in the effort - but when you're coasting, playing 20+ is no sweat - literally.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
This is the stuff right here!

Attachments

• IMG_1431.jpeg
    IMG_1431.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 7

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets are very to be similar going into this season as they were last season. The main difference is just on D, where Dillon and Schmidt are out, and likely replaced in their roles by Samberg and Miller, with Heinola likely stepping into the 3rd pair LD role. They might take a bit of a step back on D, but I don't think it will be a big difference in overall quality.

At forward, I think they could have a very similar roster as last season, with the possibility that Lambert makes the jump with Iafallo or Appleton perhaps going down a peg.

Last season the Jets had some significant injuries at F, but their D was remarkably healthy. That might be the biggest variable affecting the quality of the roster this season. Another variable might be whether players like Perfetti and Samberg can take a significant step forward in level of play.

The other major difference is at back-up goalie. Brossoit was very strong, and I doubt that Kahkonen or Comrie match his performance. That might cost the Jets a few wins more directly.

Finally, I think a lot of the Jets' success will depend on effective deployment of the roster, particularly ensuring that the coaches optimize the contributions of Ehlers and Perfetti and limit the usual drag of a Connor-Scheifele top line combination creates defensively.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I would be surprised if we don't take a fairly significant step back, at least regular season wise this season. Probably fighting to make the playoffs. Would much prefer having that 1st and 2nd round pick we traded for Monahan/Toffoli than the garbage they put up in the playoffs.
I was really upset about those trades too. The good news is, “if” the Jets take a step back this season - and its made very clear the Jets aren’t making the playoffs before the trade deadline (because we know how Chipman thinks)… Pionk, Appleton, Ehlers, Iafallo and Namestnikov are all UFA’s after this upcoming season. They could easily return in trades what was lost last season. And 2025 is supposed to be a better draft than 2024.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Jets are very to be similar going into this season as they were last season. The main difference is just on D, where Dillon and Schmidt are out, and likely replaced in their roles by Samberg and Miller, with Heinola likely stepping into the 3rd pair LD role. They might take a bit of a step back on D, but I don't think it will be a big difference in overall quality.

At forward, I think they could have a very similar roster as last season, with the possibility that Lambert makes the jump with Iafallo or Appleton perhaps going down a peg.

Last season the Jets had some significant injuries at F, but their D was remarkably healthy. That might be the biggest variable affecting the quality of the roster this season. Another variable might be whether players like Perfetti and Samberg can take a significant step forward in level of play.

The other major difference is at back-up goalie. Brossoit was very strong, and I doubt that Kahkonen or Comrie match his performance. That might cost the Jets a few wins more directly.

Finally, I think a lot of the Jets' success will depend on effective deployment of the roster, particularly ensuring that the coaches optimize the contributions of Ehlers and Perfetti and limit the usual drag of a Connor-Scheifele top line combination creates defensively.
👍

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad