Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Ken Wiebe mentioned it:

Just a speculation article.
Always feel like Wiebe is pretty much a plant for TNSE... like they give him stuff to leak that suits their needs because they know he's a yes man

Like this calms the fan base when we go into next season with a slightly downgraded roster from last season... 'hey we tried...' didn't you read about Kadri and Laine?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Ken Wiebe mentioned it:

It's hard to see the Jets going after Kadri. The leadership group of this team is approaching or in their 30s and it's hard to see the Jets making a big change in the room without their input on it. Seems like the Jets would operate that way

That said Calgary looks like a potential firesale team this year, and if the Jets do have 2C troubles, maybe he is the best option on the market this season. When people talk about moving Scheif to the wing down the road, I think you need a true number 1 centre for that, and that player may not be in the organization.

There's a balance between trying to remain competitive and aging a team out to being a bust, with long term contracts. If you replaced the contract value of Iafallo, Appleton, Namestnikov with cheaper players, would you get better value in Naz salary Cap wise?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ken Wiebe mentioned it:

Can't see Kadri waiving to come here even if we are interested.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's hard to see the Jets going after Kadri. The leadership group of this team is approaching or in their 30s and it's hard to see the Jets making a big change in the room without their input on it. Seems like the Jets would operate that way

That said Calgary looks like a potential firesale team this year, and if the Jets do have 2C troubles, maybe he is the best option on the market this season. When people talk about moving Scheif to the wing down the road, I think you need a true number 1 centre for that, and that player may not be in the organization.

There's a balance between trying to remain competitive and aging a team out to being a bust, with long term contracts. If you replaced the contract value of Iafallo, Appleton, Namestnikov with cheaper players, would you get better value in Naz salary Cap wise?

He's also a couple months away from 34 and has another 5 years left on his deal. Can't see the team being remotely interested in that contract.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
He's also a couple months away from 34 and has another 5 years left on his deal. Can't see the team being remotely interested in that contract.
It's only 4 years left, but I agree with you by and large. That seems like a helluva a contract to pick up...I think Rasmus Andersson on the other hand, if Pionk struggles this year, that's one to look at.

It's so hard to gauge the Jets this year though...I think if they want to re-sign Adam Lowry, they have to be competitive, with his, Ehlers and KC's future in the balance. The youth movement has to show they can help the team win. I think that's the pressure Chevy faces, with roster management.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would bet my left testicle that yes, they do know much more than you as a casual fan who watches games and looks at spreadsheets would know

Of course they know much more than I do. But question remains. Is it anything that invalidates what I, and everyone else, knows?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's only 4 years left, but I agree with you by and large. That seems like a helluva a contract to pick up...I think Rasmus Andersson on the other hand, if Pionk struggles this year, that's one to look at.

It's so hard to gauge the Jets this year though...I think if they want to re-sign Adam Lowry, they have to be competitive, with his, Ehlers and KC's future in the balance. The youth movement has to show they can help the team win. I think that's the pressure Chevy faces, with roster management.

Nope, 5.

Flames would need to retain some. The last 2 years could be bought out.

Why would you say "IF Pionk struggles"? Is there really any doubt that he will?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
kadri does have a full nmc so he ultimately decides where/if he wants to go. if he was willing to waive here - unlikely - it does turn into in a m-ntc in 2 years so could move out of him if really required. he did nix a trade from TOR to CGY originally, so never know about waiving or not :dunno:

he's been just as productive as scheifele the last 3 years, & has no where near the supporting cast scheifele does. not to mention solidifies a top-6C spot for the medium-term and adds some bite/edge in a Jets top-6 full of softies, along with actual recent deep POs & Cup experience.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
kadri does have a full nmc so he ultimately decides where/if he wants to go. if he was willing to waive here - unlikely - it does turn into in a m-ntc in 2 years so could move out of him if really required. he did nix a trade from TOR to CGY originally, so never know about waiving or not :dunno:

he's been just as productive as scheifele the last 3 years, & has no where near the supporting cast scheifele does. not to mention solidifies a top-6C spot for the medium-term and adds some bite/edge in a Jets top-6 full of softies, along with actual recent deep POs & Cup experience.
Well 3 years ago he did play with the Avs so I would say yeah he did have somewhere close to the same supporting cast :sarcasm: His 2 years since in Calgary Kadri's top 5 on 5 minutes have been with Weegar 785, Andersson 776 and Huberdeau at 713. Not sure overall that is much different than the quality of Schiefele's line mates.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I used to maintain that I would never want Kadri. Dirty player. But I don't mind a pest who stays just on the right side of the line.

At this stage of the game, I would welcome pesty Kadri at least until he falls off that cliff.
That could be at any time but if he could be reasonably good for 2-3 years, I'd be happy with him. The last 2 years of his contract could be bought out if necessary.

If he would waive I would give up McGroarty for him. I'd like to see a little retention from Flames.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I used to maintain that I would never want Kadri. Dirty player. But I don't mind a pest who stays just on the right side of the line.

At this stage of the game, I would welcome pesty Kadri at least until he falls off that cliff.
That could be at any time but if he could be reasonably good for 2-3 years, I'd be happy with him. The last 2 years of his contract could be bought out if necessary.

If he would waive I would give up McGroarty for him. I'd like to see a little retention from Flames.
They would have to take back a contract and retention to even come close to working out. I'm not opposed to Kadri, but we have $5.8 M in cap space with Perfetti unsigned. Even a 2 year bridge for Perfetti leave us with something around $2 M cap space available.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well 3 years ago he did play with the Avs so I would say yeah he did have somewhere close to the same supporting cast :sarcasm: His 2 years since in Calgary Kadri's top 5 on 5 minutes have been with Weegar 785, Andersson 776 and Huberdeau at 713. Not sure overall that is much different than the quality of Schiefele's line mates.
I'll concede Colorado. But the flames is nothing great. A mix of Connor, ehlers, Morrissey, Vilardi then consider Helle > the flames.

These were his most used line combos last year

Screenshot_20240818-180341_Chrome.jpg

U taking that or equal to the Jets top 6 wings, really.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They would have to take back a contract and retention to even come close to working out. I'm not opposed to Kadri, but we have $5.8 M in cap space with Perfetti unsigned. Even a 2 year bridge for Perfetti leave us with something around $2 M cap space available.

Yes, we would need to make some space.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

His 2 most productive years came in the past 3 years. I'd have to check what his pt finishes were since scoring is up, but iirc he was around top 40 on overall pts and top 30 in 5v5 production (on mobile otherwise I'd check).

7m is def a big ticket though. However if they were in the running with Monahan at 5.5m id consider an extra 1.5m for a superior player who also can add intangibles and has the option to get out of.

You said the last 3 years, not last season. I responded to what you posted.
Yeah and I'd take the jets crew over the flames. You posted huberdeau as if he's been impressive in Calgary. Don't think anyone is taking him over Connor. Not even close to the same tier anymore.

His 22-23 linemates mix may be even worse.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm not against the Kadri trade idea, depending his cost of course, which should be reflective IMO that the last x years of his deal will not be good. I'm ok to it bc as virtually all last contracts around the NHL they never end well and I doubt Helle & Mark's will end well. So the Jets window is over the next 4-5-6 years max, so Kadri deal would just be one more bad deal at the end of our window. Bad deals can have value in trade depending how their arranged, some teams always need to hit the floor and want to pay as little real cash as possible. Not sure how Kadri deal was setup or not. Kadri is a legit 2c and we need one.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
On one hand I like Kadri's determination, kinda dirty, pain in the ass to play against style.

Honestly pretty similar to Dubois, just gets it done with heart and some skill as oppose to rare tools.

That contract is a liability though.

Tough to work around that without sending something we don't want back.

That and he probably isn't waiving to come here. That's my stance unless I hear otherwise lol

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm not against the Kadri trade idea, depending his cost of course, which should be reflective IMO that the last x years of his deal will not be good. I'm ok to it bc as virtually all last contracts around the NHL they never end well and I doubt Helle & Mark's will end well. So the Jets window is over the next 4-5-6 years max, so Kadri deal would just be one more bad deal at the end of our window. Bad deals can have value in trade depending how their arranged, some teams always need to hit the floor and want to pay as little real cash as possible. Not sure how Kadri deal was setup or not. Kadri is a legit 2c and we need one.
If we can turn it into a bigger trade and score Andersson I think it would really increase our cup odds. Hopefully McGroarty and some firsts would get it done

Connor - Scheifele - Vilardi
Perfetti - Kadri - Ehlers
Nino - Lowry - Appleton
Iafallo - Names - Gus

Morrissey - DeMelo
Samberg - Andersson
Stanley - Miller

Helle

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He gets $7millon in cash every year until it's end. It was neither front or back loaded. He has signing bonuses of 2.5 million next year and $1 million the year after, prior to it going to a straight $7 million base salary.

The question is how long does he still have 2C capabilites for. If it's only for another 2 years then his contract could prematurely close the window.

I think age and term left are major risks here. Frankly they aren't the risks I'd be interested in taking.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad