Jets Top Prospect #20

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Prospects:

Round Five – Jacob Julien | C

The big trend continues, as the Jets draft a 6’4 Center out of London. Winnipeg certainly wasn’t afraid to go off the board to get what they want, ranked 161 by NA Central Scouting, Julien was drafted 146th by Winnipeg.

Julien played a shutdown defensive role in London’s bottom 6 throughout the year. He’s a big body but could benefit from using it more and playing with a meaner style. He has a strong reach and can use it to push his way to the net, and he has a solid net-front style with him as well. Skill-wise, unfortunately, a lot of work needs to be done in this area. His stride is pretty heavy, and he needs to develop a faster first 3 steps, as well as agility and edgework to make himself more elusive and less heavy and straightforward. He could also benefit from working with a skills coach to develop his hands and passing ability. as he does have relatively good vision in the offensive zone and a quick release. Ultimately, this is an off-the-board risk that the Jets are taking, in hopes that Julien will further develop to become a good third or fourth liner in the future.

Round Seven – Connor Levis | C

The Jets take a swing on upside here with Connor Levis out of the WHL. While shooting isn’t the focus of his offense, he possesses a strong, quick release in close quarters, which makes him dangerous in front of the net. He doesn’t shoot much but when he does, he tends to make the most of it. Levis thrives as a team supporter and can make those around him better, individually, however, much is left to be desired, which is most likely why he was available at this pick in the first place. His skating and puck handling limits what he’s capable of doing on his own. Levis specializes as an off-the-board playmaker and uses his strength, vision, and passing ability to succeed in this role. He’s at his strongest when he’s on the boards, he can turn nothing into something in the blink of an eye, as he’s able to turn aggressive puck battles into scoring chances with his vision and playmaking ability.

Levis needs to refine his defensive play and be much more noticeable than he is, but if Levis can develop that side of his game and use his size more aggressively while defending, he could become a good bottom 6 player for Winnipeg. However, much work needs to be done before he can get to that point.

Levis was on Kamloops third line for a majority of this season due to their stacked roster, however, with most of Kamloop’s offense leaving the team, he’ll be the focal point of their 2023/24 roster, and will most likely be a major reason for any success they may see. A lot of eyes will be on him, and it will be interesting to see how he handles a much more prominent offensive role.

source: July 32-In-32: Winnipeg Jets

Garrett Brown — Fourth Round, 99th Overall, 2022

With the final double-digit pick of the draft, the Jets selected their second American in defenseman Garrett Brown.

The 6-foot-2, 178-pound San Jose product spent 2021-22 with the USHL’s Sioux City Musketeers, recording four goals and 12 assists in 62 games along with a plus-nine rating and 24 penalty minutes. He also had one assist in 10 playoff games as the Musketeers won the Clark Cup.
The right-shot blue liner will return to Sioux City for 2022-23. His father is Curtis Brown, who played 736-career NHL games between 1994-2008 with the Buffalo Sabres, Chicago Blackhawks, and San Jose Sharks.

This selection was the return in the March 2022 trade that sent Bryan Little’s contract and the signing rights of former prospect Nathan Smith to the Arizona Coyotes.

source: Garrett Brown

Tyrel Bauer, #164 Overall, 2020, Manitoba Moose

Tyrel Bauer is embracing his ruggedness in his first professional season. The defenseman and sixth-round (164th overall) pick, who stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 205 pounds, has been a physical force on the back end for the Moose. While offence is not his forte — he has one goal and one assist in 29 games — his stay-at-home skillset is needed nonetheless.

Bauer spent five seasons with the WHL’s Seattle Thunderbirds, served as their captain for his final two seasons, and was named their most dedicated player last season. It’s easy to see why he was bestowed with the honour. The Calgary-born 20-year-old consistently looks to use his frame to his advantage and to inject his club with some energy.

He’s endeared himself to Moose fans by dishing out some booming checks, and while The Hockey Writers doesn’t post videos of fights, he’s picked smart times to engage in some spirited scraps to protect teammates or provide a spark. Bauer fought 14 times in 181-career junior games and has fought six times this season. Suffice it to say, anyone dropping their gloves with him, regardless of their size, has their hands full.

source: Jets 2020 Draft Class Midseason Check-In

Henri Nikkanen, #113 overall, 2019, Manitoba Moose

Pro-framed center with strong hockey sense. Defensively responsible with decent playmaking abilities and vision. Needs to improve his foot speed and skating mechanics to take the next step. Hikkanen had 5 goals, 11 assists, for 16 points in 66 games for the Moose last season

source: Henri Nikkanen

Wyatt Bongiovanni (undrafted), Manitoba Moose

Well rounded two-way pivot with solid scoring touch. Volume shooter with a nose for the net and excellent off-puck positioning. Effective at both ends of the ice with a high motor. Bongiovanni had 13 goals, 5 assists for 18 points, in 56 games for the Moose last season.

source: Wyatt Bongiovanni

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
just by reading the scouting reports, I went with Tyrel Bauer. From what was said, Bauer seems to have the most determination to succeed in pro hockey. He is also not afraid to drop the gloves. Being the captain of his WHL< team, winning an award for Most Dedicated player, and playing aggressively, are all qualities that Adam Lowry had 10 years ago at his age. I never knew that Garrett Brown was the son of former NHL player Curtis Brown.

Reactions: Channelcat

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Thanks @Jets4Life for taking on the last of the top 20 draft prospects. Much appreciated!
No problem. @WiscoJet did most of it. I just finished it off for him.

1. F-Rutger McGroarty 42.3%
2. F-Chaz Lucius 30.6%
3. F-Brad Lambert 40.0%
4. F-Colby Barlow 73.0%
5. D-Ville Heinola 60.2%
6. D-Elias Salomonsson 50.0%
7. F-Nikita Chibrikov 61.1%
8. G-Domenic DiVincentiis 45.3%
9. D-Declan Chisholm 54.3%
10. F-Dmitri Rashevsky
11. F-Danny Zhilkin 41.7%
12. G-Thomas Milic 38.9%
13. F-Fabian Wagner 32.1%
14. D-Dmitri Kuzmin 49.0%
15. F-Daniel Torgersson 42.1%
16. D-Artemi Kniazev 31.8%
17. D-Simon Lundmark 45.3%
18. G-Oskari Salminen 29.4%
19. F-Zach Nehring 35.0%

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Can Bauer be Chiarot 2.0 for this franchise? Seems like the likely trajectory.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Can Bauer be Chiarot 2.0 for this franchise? Seems like the likely trajectory.
Likely trajectory…….. Hmmmm

Bauer is trajecting to be traded for a 1 st round pick at the deadline…,and in line to improve to the point where once he goes free agent he will command a 3 year 9 million contract and after that a 4 year 19 million contract. Tracking for career earnings of 34 million plus…,

Good times for Bauer ahead?….. not

Let’s see if he ever plays a nhl game, … first.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Garrett Brown might be very underrated, on HFJets.

He's been invited to the US national U-20 try-outs, and Mitch Brown just noted that "Garrett Brown, Jets prospect, is the best low-scoring offensive defenceman in the prospect sphere."

I posted this in the Prospect thread, but it fits here in the rankings, too.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

He's been invited to the US national U-20 try-outs, and Mitch Brown just noted that "Garrett Brown, Jets prospect, is the best low-scoring offensive defenceman in the prospect sphere."

Who?

Jk. Ya his trajectory looks good. Certainly a potential big climber for next years list. Lets hope he keeps it up.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Exciting stuff, hopefully he shows well in the NCAA this season. Looking at Denver's roster they don't have a whole lot going on on the back end so if he could establish himself early he might get a solid opportunity.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Spending draft plus 1 first year back in the USHL instead of going straight to college is a big red flag.

Either he did not have the grades or he was not confident in his playing ability to compete at the college level.

This also allows him to do the Blake Wheeler become a UFA after his 3 rd year of college hockey on Aug 15 th of that year.

Nathan Smith followed that path to force a trade to Phoenix last off season.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
No problem. @WiscoJet did most of it. I just finished it off for him.

1. F-Rutger McGroarty 42.3%
2. F-Chaz Lucius 30.6%
3. F-Brad Lambert 40.0%
4. F-Colby Barlow 73.0%
5. D-Ville Heinola 60.2%
6. D-Elias Salomonsson 50.0%
7. F-Nikita Chibrikov 61.1%
8. G-Domenic DiVincentiis 45.3%
9. D-Declan Chisholm 54.3%
10. F-Dmitri Rashevsky
11. F-Danny Zhilkin 41.7%
12. G-Thomas Milic 38.9%
13. F-Fabian Wagner 32.1%
14. D-Dmitri Kuzmin 49.0%
15. F-Daniel Torgersson 42.1%
16. D-Artemi Kniazev 31.8%
17. D-Simon Lundmark 45.3%
18. G-Oskari Salminen 29.4%
19. F-Zach Nehring 35.0%
For the beginning of 2024, I would have to say the top 10 Jets draft picks would be:

1. Lambert
2. McGroarty
3. Chibrikov
4. Lucius
5. Heinola
6. Barlow
7. Salomonsson
8. Chisholm
9. Rashevsky
10. Julien

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
1. McGroarty
2. Salomonsson
3. Chibrikov
4. Lambert
5. Lucius
6. Barlow
7. Heinola
8. Chisholm
9. Julien
10. Rashevsky

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
1. Rutger McGroarty
2. Brad Lambert
3. Elias Salomonsson
4. Ville Heinola
5. Nikita Chibrikov
6. Chaz Lucius
7. Colby Barlow
8. Declan Chisholm
9. Jacob Julien
10. Dmitri Rashevsky

I hope Divincentiis bounces back. I really feel for him because the end of 2023 did not go anywhere near as planned.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I’m aware. I’m also aware 2 other people put heinola out of their 3 and I am surprised.

That first one also had McGroarty out of the top spot so ..........

I think there is a ? attached to Heinola right now. If he comes back from injury and picks up where he left off in TC he should bump someone down and rate #2. If he backslides a little he may struggle to stay in the NHL again.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
You are responding to one person's opinion.

I’m aware. I’m also aware 2 other people put heinola out of their 3 and I am surprised.

Sounds like consensus to me. :naughty:

Seriously, my record is that of a clear backer of Heinola over the years. I have always felt if given a run of 20-30 games, he'd never look back and be a solid second pairing guy. [interesting that he's never had a run of more than three games in the team, except for one run of 5 that was interrupted by a Christmas break.]

Having said that, I really think the 5 I have above him have big upside and no one around the league is giving you a top 125 prospect for Ville Heinola. He's a bit stale as a prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad