OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (7-6) - No notes needed. - Next at EDM Sept 21 600pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Love what Bighill brought to the Bombers over the years but i am thinking we need to find a new starter there very soon, his age is catching up to him now unfortunately.

Thats sad.. dude has a great heart. His body has betrayed him, finally.

Small silver lining to the Bighill injury is we are going to gain athletically with whoever fills in for him. His experience and football IQ won't be replaced, but he can still help from the sideline. I'd rather his backup get a chance to learn early in the season and save Biggie for the home stretch.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Small silver lining to the Bighill injury is we are going to gain athletically with whoever fills in for him. His experience and football IQ won't be replaced, but he can still help from the sideline. I'd rather his backup get a chance to learn early in the season and save Biggie for the home stretch.
Thats a fantastic look at this development... he could be a great coach, and yes, can certainly help later in the year.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
No surprise on Barriere. Shame that it didn’t work but he didn’t show ANYTHING. Wonder if they bring in another guy for a look.

Edit - Oops, missed that they added another QB already

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I would have given Case another game - maybe there's another reason
Could be.

Honestly though Bombers media is pumping up the tires on Chris Smith, who got the first crack at returns in pre-season game 1. That's usually a decent indicator of where the teams head is at.

Which is mildly concerning to me as I thought he easily had the worst game of all the returners in the first game.

But we'll see what Friday brings. Whoever is out there for the first kickoff is likely the guy they plan to run as the KR/PR this year.

If there's one aspect I don't have alot of faith in the Bombers, it's returners. They lucked into Grant midway through 2019, but otherwise it's been a collection of crap from Lankford to McCrae to Parker (as returners they all kinda sucked). I'm just really wondering what happened with Grant. Very odd. Maybe they can airlift him in later this year.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Could be.

Honestly though Bombers media is pumping up the tires on Chris Smith, who got the first crack at returns in pre-season game 1. That's usually a decent indicator of where the teams head is at.

Which is mildly concerning to me as I thought he easily had the worst game of all the returners in the first game.

But we'll see what Friday brings. Whoever is out there for the first kickoff is likely the guy they plan to run as the KR/PR this year.

If there's one aspect I don't have alot of faith in the Bombers, it's returners. They lucked into Grant midway through 2019, but otherwise it's been a collection of crap from Lankford to McCrae to Parker (as returners they all kinda sucked). I'm just really wondering what happened with Grant. Very odd. Maybe they can airlift him in later this year.
Grant injury is probably more than Bombers let on... thats only thing that would explain it - especially with the new marketing rules for salaries - we can def afford him

Id try Augustine at KR/PR

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Argos sign Janarion Grant. I guess it was a cap issue.
Yeah, that's a loss. Finding American returners shouldn't be too difficult but as you noted we don't seem to be very good at it. None of the returners that played against Saskatchewan showed me much of anything.

Hopefully this isn't the start of another tough year on special teams.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Feels similar to Jeffcoat wherein the team probably didn’t want to commit the cap needed to retain him, possibly due to perceived concerns about his injury history.

Wonder if they bring in Worthy or Whitehead if none of these camp guys show anything. Can’t imagine they’d be too costly now as returner spots around the league continue to fill up.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Feels similar to Jeffcoat wherein the team probably didn’t want to commit the cap needed to retain him, possibly due to perceived concerns about his injury history.

Wonder if they bring in Worthy or Whitehead if none of these camp guys show anything. Can’t imagine they’d be too costly now as returner spots around the league continue to fill up.
At this point I highly doubt it. Based on what I'm seeing from the media types connected to the team, we are committed to the rookies. At least to start the year.

I think Whitehead would be interesting, but at his age for a returner I don't see the Bombers doing it.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
At this point I highly doubt it. Based on what I'm seeing from the media types connected to the team, we are committed to the rookies. At least to start the year.

I think Whitehead would be interesting, but at his age for a returner I don't see the Bombers doing it.
Oh yeah, I meant later into the season if whoever wins the job struggles. Agree they likely go rookie to start.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Did Neufeld unretire? He's now listed as added to game roster. He did retire did he not or do I drink too much? Either waym I'm good. 😆

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad