OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (1-4) - Strevy and the D gets us off the slide - Next vs Calgary July 12 730pm

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Was at this one, a well earned win.

Really hope they continue to use Streveler once Collaros is back. He just adds a nice element to an offense that to me doesn’t have the offensive line to utilize even a fully healthy receiving core. Zach is getting a little long in the tooth like the rest of the former big boys, and there is nothing wrong with admitting that imo.

If they get a little healthier they can stabilize things, and still be a threat.

The defensive line is my red flag this season. Opposing QBs with way too much time.

Lastly, can I just say how much I appreciate the atmosphere at the stadium. It’s a “working man” crowd, that just makes the experience so much better. The music selection is miles above what the Jets offer.

The MTS centre has become such a snooze fest, from pricing out a lot of regular people, etc etc.

Good on the Bombers. Beautiful night.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Really hope they continue to use Streveler once Collaros is back. He just adds a nice element to an offense that to me doesn’t have the offensive line to utilize even a fully healthy receiving core. Zach is getting a little long in the tooth like the rest of the former big boys, and there is nothing wrong with admitting that imo.

If they get a little healthier they can stabilize things, and still be a threat.

The defensive line is my red flag this season. Opposing QBs with way too much time.

Lastly, can I just say how much I appreciate the atmosphere at the stadium. It’s a “working man” crowd, that just makes the experience so much better. The music selection is miles above what the Jets offer.

The MTS centre has become such a snooze fest, from pricing out a lot of regular people, etc etc.

I’m not too concerned about the defensive line if we can get some bodies back. Jefferson is the only starter on the line and the DTs left are a backup in Thomas and bunch of training camp cuts.

We should improve when we get healthy.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net

We were saying the same thing. $5 beers before the game and ability to come and go to the tailgate area is huge. Multiple $1000+ giveaways blows Jets out of the water. Also Friday night perfect summer weather doesn't hurt either. Tuesday night Jets games should be like $20 all winter.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
That was a much better game overall in all three phases of the game. Like in years past, the offensive line seems to thrive much better in run blocking than they do pass protection, and the receivers are 100% in on it too (which is one of the things I liked the most (and miss) about Bailey). My only complaint is just how many times they stalled out and had to settle for a field goal, but nice to have confidence in Castillo to get those points.

Jefferson finally arrived, but I still feel like I wish there was a little bit more from the defensive line to get pressure, but also felt like they tried to play a lot of contain vs going for the sack when Crum entered the game. The secondary must have made the QBs second guess a lot of their throws, and it was nice to see Terrell Bonds essentially run Rhymes' route for the interception, too.

I kind of hope they suspend Kramdi for his dumbass hit because maybe that'll finally show this coaching staff that he actively hurts the team whenever he's on the field. Constantly failed to plug the holes on running plays, doesn't have awareness of where the ball is being thrown and only reacts to the receiver, and is constantly beat to the outside because his angles are just so bad.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
That was a much better game overall in all three phases of the game. Like in years past, the offensive line seems to thrive much better in run blocking than they do pass protection, and the receivers are 100% in on it too (which is one of the things I liked the most (and miss) about Bailey). My only complaint is just how many times they stalled out and had to settle for a field goal, but nice to have confidence in Castillo to get those points.

Jefferson finally arrived, but I still feel like I wish there was a little bit more from the defensive line to get pressure, but also felt like they tried to play a lot of contain vs going for the sack when Crum entered the game. The secondary must have made the QBs second guess a lot of their throws, and it was nice to see Terrell Bonds essentially run Rhymes' route for the interception, too.

I kind of hope they suspend Kramdi for his dumbass hit because maybe that'll finally show this coaching staff that he actively hurts the team whenever he's on the field. Constantly failed to plug the holes on running plays, doesn't have awareness of where the ball is being thrown and only reacts to the receiver, and is constantly beat to the outside because his angles are just so bad.
I definitely agree with you about Kramdi as do many others especially on one of the dedicated Bombers boards. I'm not sure what the coaches see in him other than his Canadian passport. In my opinion, he's a special teams guy and backup LB at best.

Bailey was definitely one of if not the best blocking receivers that have played for the Bombers. I have noticed Wolitarsky trying to pick up the slack. Unfortunately he took a couple of early illegal blocking penalties last night. Still, I appreciate his effort and energy.

Let's take the W. Calgary up next.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Some random thoughts about last night's game:

At times Canada v. Venezuela was more exciting.

When was the last time Bighill or Alexander used their arms as part of their tackling technique?

I’m not sure of the number of plays Thomas got but he looked ok last night.

The ability of Steveler to run opened things up for Oliveira. There were some nice blocks by Streveler, too. However, I don’t know how long he can take the added pounding before something breaks.

I don’t know anything about QBs’ throwing mechanics but Streveler’s still look odd.

The corners and the halfbacks looked a lot better. Someone on another forum suggested moving Holm to safety. I like that idea. He seems to have good closing speed and is certainly a heck of a lot faster than Alexander and he can tackle. Not that O’Shea will pull Alexander. Are there competent guys in reserve to move to the halfback spot?

Not much to say about Kramdi that hasn’t already been said other than he's too small (well, he plays small), too slow and maybe doesn’t have a high football IQ. We use that term in hockey. Don’t know if it’s used in football.

Special teams are improving although I’m still not sold on Sheahan's punting. Miller’s systems finally getting ingrained?

Castillo was right about those micro-chipped balls, more like macro-chipped. He has been excellent since those two early season “misses”.

Calgary is no great shakes so far this season so next weeks game is winnable.

Go Bombers Go!

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I would add that Lofton is starting to get exposed pretty bad... this is multiple games now where he has just been beaten cleanly on the outside - seems like his foot speed is not quite enough and then he inexplicably just lets his man go

OL was better but the QBs are still getting hammered - guess we just wait and see

Osh isn't a guy to make roster changes unless he absolutely has to.. which is usually around Labour Day

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island

Interesting article on the Stamps/Al's game. It's interesting that the author brings up some weird PI calls, where the Al's receiver initiated contact, turning directly into a Calgary DB, and fell down, drawing a flag. Happened in the Winnipeg game, too - an Ottawa receiver (I think it was Rhymes, can't remember now) made an abrupt turn up field directly into center mass of our DB who was shadowing nicely (and didn't change his own trajectory), and fell down, drawing a penalty. I don't recall it regularly being called that way in the past - maybe once in a blue moon, but 3 in one weekend including one on a video review seems excessive. Maybe just a rough weekend for the stripes...

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

Interesting article on the Stamps/Al's game. It's interesting that the author brings up some weird PI calls, where the Al's receiver initiated contact, turning directly into a Calgary DB, and fell down, drawing a flag. Happened in the Winnipeg game, too - an Ottawa receiver (I think it was Rhymes, can't remember now) made an abrupt turn up field directly into center mass of our DB who was shadowing nicely (and didn't change his own trajectory), and fell down, drawing a penalty. I don't recall it regularly being called that way in the past - maybe once in a blue moon, but 3 in one weekend including one on a video review seems excessive. Maybe just a rough weekend for the stripes...
More than a rough weekend. The CFL shouldn't require DBs to try to avoid contact initiated by the reciever, as you've described.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011

Yup it was Rhymes running into Holm. I was not happy about that one.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers also released DE Ali Fayad this morning. He's started the past 3/4 games at DE opposite Willie since Haba went down. He has been good in run stopping but basically non-existant in the pass rush and has ceded significant playing time to rookie Canadian Owen Hubert.

Rumour mill has 2nd year DE Tyjuan Garbutt (spent much of last year on Bombers PR) as nearly healthy after making the team but getting banged up. So I assume he's the plan at DE until Haba gets healthy again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad