Winnipeg Attendance

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
That's funny because when the Jets beat the Leafs and they made some throw away chirp in the dressing room after about beating the Leafs, Leafs fans were salty about it for at least a year.

I think more entertained by the cringe little brother syndrome any small Canadian city has towards Toronto. Nothing feels better than beating Toronto for Winnipeg while there are at least a dozen teams Toronto cares more about beating.

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
Even a club (supporters) like Rauman Lukko can outsing any NHL club and that easy, I mean real easy.

Raumam Boja.
Remember in a Finland hole like Rauma where there only lives 38 959 people:devdance:!

Maybe I'm just a prude, but sports is for watching, not to make a drunk spectacle out of it. I guess that's why I don't like NFL :laugh:

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Bro. It's very simple. The team started out with everyone and their dog racing to get season tickets and it was just your average middle class families for the most part (many of them shared). Very little in terms of corporate support. Contrast that with other big markets where at least half of the building is corporate.

Covid destroyed a huge number of the existing season ticket base.

Bro.

So you’re agreeing with me that Winnipeg simply might not be able to support an NHL franchise?

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Bro.

So you’re agreeing with me that Winnipeg simply might not be able to support an NHL franchise?
…no? The franchise made no effort whatsoever to sell tickets for the first 8-9 years. Fans took up all the season ticket allocations, it all sold itself. After years of maximum price increases by the franchise, offering few incentives, and taking fan support for granted, they found themselves with empty seats amidst the end of a pandemic and a very tough economic situation. The 2023-2024 season was the worst possible environment to be trying to fill seats, and they are finally trying to fix their mistakes over the past 13 years. Inflation is easing, people are starting to spend again, and the franchise is actually trying to attract customers for the first time by giving good value to STHs, and by reaching out to businesses that they totally ignored before. Things will improve.

Anecdotally, my family had STs from day 1 until the pandemic, and walked away because the price increases made it untenable. It became very expensive to attend, but we couldn’t sell the tickets to the games we couldn’t attend because TNSE undercut our resale price with their own tickets, and there’s nothing we could do about that. It was cheaper to buy tickets as a walk-up, rather than buying for the whole season in 2019. We’re just starting to be interested in attending more games again as pricing becomes more realistic, and they put more effort into the experience.

Last edited:

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
…no? The franchise made no effort whatsoever to sell tickets for the first 8-9 years. Fans took up all the season ticket allocations, it all sold itself. After years of maximum price increases by the franchise, offering few incentives, and taking fan support for granted, they found themselves with empty seats amidst the end of a pandemic and a very tough economic situation. The 2023-2024 season was the worst possible environment to be trying to fill seats, and they are finally trying to fix their mistakes over the past 13 years. Inflation is easing, people are starting to spend again, and the franchise is actually trying to attract customers for the first time by giving good value to STHs, and by reaching out to businesses that they totally ignored before. Things will improve.

Anecdotally, my family had STs from day 1 until the pandemic, and walked away because the price increases made it untenable. It became very expensive to attend, but we couldn’t sell the tickets to the games we couldn’t attend because TNSE undercut our resale price with their own tickets, and there’s nothing we could do about that. It was cheaper to buy tickets as a walk-up, rather than buying for the whole season in 2019. We’re just starting to be interested in attending more games again as pricing becomes more realistic, and they put more effort into the experience.

This makes sense. I can get behind mismanagement and poor marketing as an excuse for lackluster attendance, the guys in this thread claiming ticket prices are too high or that the team is "too vanilla" when it keeps making the playoffs I don't.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Isn't it five? Florida, Buffalo, San Jose, Columbus, Arizona.
I think Ottawa, Buffalo, San Jose, Columbus, and Arizona would probably be higher if they had Winnipeg's regular season success over the last 5 years.

Either way, I don't think it's that big of a deal. The cost of living in North America is very high at the moment and I don't think sports are a high priority for people.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
This makes sense. I can get behind mismanagement and poor marketing as an excuse for lackluster attendance, the guys in this thread claiming ticket prices are too high or that the team is "too vanilla" when it keeps making the playoffs I don't.

Making the playoffs isn’t something to celebrate. Not when half of the league makes the dance.

People aren’t getting excited for first round participation banners.

It’s a stagnant product. They brought back Arniel, and Chevy will have a job until he decides it’s time to leave. They run this team as if it’s a country club.

There are frankly a lot of people that feel the product isn’t worth the money. That rink has an atmosphere of a funeral most nights.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Couldn't you have just bumped the same thread from last year? This has been discussed ad nauseam. That market has pretty inelastic demand at higher ticket price levels, and they make more revenue this way. Hockey is gate driven, and if Winnipeg maximizes their earnings this way, so be it. It screws the fanbase, but when has the billionaire class ever cared about the greater good?
I think Ottawa, Buffalo, San Jose, Columbus, and Arizona would probably be higher if they had Winnipeg's regular season success over the last 5 years.

Either way, I don't think it's that big of a deal. The cost of living in North America is very high at the moment and I don't think sports are a high priority for people.
If Buffalo even is remotely competitive, people will be back. I hate most of their players, ownership, and the GM, but I will be right back if they start winning at even a wildcard pace.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Ticket prices too high?
Shouldn’t the laws of supply and demand come into effect here?

Yes and no.

If you can screw 13,000 and make the same money ask being a little nicer to 16,345 while stiill retaining the potential to screw that additional 3,345.....any additional above that 13,000 is like found money.

So long as there are rocks bleeding. the decks are tilted.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Maybe I'm just a prude, but sports is for watching, not to make a drunk spectacle out of it. I guess that's why I don't like NFL :laugh:

Well, English football was then not even for ya when Premier League even came around popular in The States.

Real football. I mean. West Ham United and the ol' lot:huh:

1729101899775.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ossific

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I personally think that Winnepeg is the canary in the coal mine with regard to ticket prices for the non-corporate fans. I think the Jet's are probably more exposed because of a lower % of corporate attendees to games, but I expect that you're going to additional pricing pressure elsewhere. NHL tickets are the epitome of luxury item, and the cost to go to a game is more than just the ticket price (parking, concessions, etc.).

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad