Prospect Info: Wings Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
At 46:10 is the replay of Kasper's goal.

Wins a key faceoff on the PP, goes to the net, deflects puck. Team Austria needs to play him more.

EDIT: Also, I'm sure Kasper lost a faceoff somewhere in the game but I'm not sure when. He looked like he was winning all his puck battles at the dot and on the walls.

Last edited:

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Pronman just ranked our prospect pool at 14. One thing to note is he's very high on Danielson but doesn't think we have any future "stars" in the pool yet.
What’s his definition of star? He has Raymond as a 1st liner. Gotta be a top 3 pick to be a star?

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
What’s his definition of star? He has Raymond as a 1st liner. Gotta be a top 3 pick to be a star?
He had Jarvis as a fringe star/top line player, and Lafreniere as a star, which were the two that seemed very inconsistent with Raymond being only a top line player in his tiers. I think Matthew Knies also got top line player tier. At the very least Raymond should be in the fringe tier imo. I think Lafreniere he has as a star because he is buried a bit on the NYR roster and has the pedigree, but Raymond was a high pedigree prospect for quite a few years before his draft, and really looked the part this year.

Corey's prospect pool rankings seem to be viewed as less subjective than his personal draft rankings for whatever reason, so I just read the prospect profiles and see what I agree with, and don't get to worked up over the disagreements. For example he has Yakemchuk over Sanderson in his Sens pool ranking. I was super high on Yakemchuk - I would put his draft year profile over Sanderson's - but nobody in their right mind would ever trade them 1 for 1, so he does heavily incorporate his personal opinion into these rankings too.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'll ignore the needlessly condescending tone to try and keep this productive.

You don't think the differences in work ethic and commitment that are obvious in game situations also impact practices and workouts? So we're supposed to believe that someone like Kane is working his ass off on the practice drills, huh? It's interesting that you acknowledge that some players will burn more calories during a game because of how they play, but seem to think that it doesn't translate to non-game situations. Seems like a ridiculous claim to make when laid out like that. So when comparing a player who approaches the overall game in a more casual way vs a player who gives maximum effort in all situations, yes I would expect there to be a meaningful difference in calories burned over the course of a season. Odds are, the player giving it his all in games is also giving it his all in practices and workouts, whereas the one who glides and doesn't show intensity unless a scoring chance presents itself is probably doing the same in practices too.

That's not even getting into the fact that the 82 games they play are by far the most intensive physical activity they do during the season. Resistance training burns relatively few calories and practices are generally far less intense than a game situation. The primary purpose of practice isn't conditioning, it's working on skills and systems. They're not trying to wear down their players so that their bodies are exhausted come game time, losing streak practices under Tortorella notwithstanding. The games are where the bulk of calories are burned during the season.

I think you've got it backwards on Zetterberg. His back issues meant he was not able to keep up the maintenance in-season, because his body couldn't handle both playing at a top level and training at a top level. So playing games at a top level took precedence, and the training suffered. Zetterberg getting the day off on practice days, or using customized workouts to work around his limitations, was a common occurrence later in his career. So his season was overwhelmingly cardio from games, hence the extreme weight loss, which just reinforces the fact that games are where the majority of (non-rest) calories are burned. If he could have kept up a typical resistance training regimen in-season, it would have minimized muscle loss.

And yes, metabolism plays a role, obviously. But we don't exactly have access to the metabolism levels of NHL players, do we? So I'm not going to speak on that because it would be baseless speculation, I can only speak to the factors we do have supporting information on. And besides, metabolism is a minimal factor when talking about professional athletes. Michael Phelps was not eating 10,000 calories a day because he had a high metabolism, he was eating that much because he was burning that much in physical activity. These are professional athletes, they are all eating a lot of food and burning a lot of calories. Their food intake and activity levels are far more important factors than their individual metabolisms.

Bringing this back to Mazur, if he is able to start the season at a reasonable weight, and maintain a proper resistance training regimen in-season, then I don't think weight loss will affect him negatively. At least no more than it affects all of the other players who are in the same situation.
I think you talking about Zetterberg in board battles and him resting vs playing etc doesnt actually say anything worth talking about is my point.

You admit you dont have access to the metabolism of NHL players but made a post assuming you know how hard they practice, what their offseason training is like, how much they practiced through injuries and didnt even touch on what they actually eat lol.

All these posts are full of dumb assumptions that arent even worth discussing. For all we know, Zetterberg drank beers all off season and that alone explains why he lost weight during the year. The point is we dont know and this whole discussion is dumb.

Theres NHL players who eat like trash, barely train and get by on their skill, theres others that have to be dialed in all year round just to stick in the league. Trying to figure out which is which is a waste of time. If you want to speak in generalities about it, sure go ahead, but trying to use these generalities on specific players like Zetterberg or Mazur is ridiculous and anyone know who knows anything about nutrition, metabolism etc would feel the same way

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'm very excited to see how he does this season. I think this could be a big time breakout year for him. He should finally see consistent playing time with the new team. He's super small but I think we could still have something there.
Even before he was drafted, he always been on top 6. I don't expect big progress from him coming season, just steady.
Buchelnikov could become less physical, but faster version of Debrincat

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Even before he was drafted, he always been on top 6. I don't expect big progress from him coming season, just steady.
Buchelnikov could become less physical, but faster version of Debrincat
This will be the first season in the KHL in a top 6 role from the get-go. If he somehow pushes a PPG, that would be unbelievable. I am hoping for 10-20 more points than last season, then bring him over.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoBoltz56

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
This will be the first season in the KHL in a top 6 role from the get-go. If he somehow pushes a PPG, that would be unbelievable. I am hoping for 10-20 more points than last season, then bring him over.
Still 20 , we could wait 2 more years, meanwhile, Soderblom, Mazur, MBN, Kasper, Danielson should be ahead of him

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Michkov left. Why should Buch be any different if Detroit wants him to come?

I doubt he will leave the KHL. He needs to become stronger and tougher a little bit, so 2 years are ideal. I'm pretty sure he'll be a KHL star in 2 years, it's easier to start the NHL career when you're a legit KHL star. NHL teams somehow respect such players more than AHL stars.

AHL success actually means nothing in the NHL. You can be an AHL PPG young forward and still have problems with getting NHL spot. It's easier to get the spot if you come from the KHL.

Reactions: Realgud and lilidk

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I doubt he will leave the KHL. He needs to become stronger and tougher a little bit, so 2 years are ideal. I'm pretty sure he'll be a KHL star in 2 years, it's easier to start the NHL career when you're a legit KHL star. NHL teams somehow respect such players more than AHL stars.

AHL success actually means nothing in the NHL. You can be an AHL PPG young forward and still have problems with getting NHL spot. It's easier to get the spot if you come from the KHL.
Well that's part of my point. If he has a big year in the KHL, Detroit could feel he's ready to come over. I also never said anything about the AHL specifically, but I still think that's an outdated way of thinking. Young russians are coming to the AHL and doing well. Svechkov, Chibrikov for example.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Well that's part of my point. If he has a big year in the KHL, Detroit could feel he's ready to come over. I also never said anything about the AHL specifically, but I still think that's an outdated way of thinking. Young russians are coming to the AHL and doing well. Svechkov, Chibrikov for example.
We have so many prospects already in GR , so it's better let him develop in KHL.
Becher, Danielson, Kasper, Mazur, Lombardi, Finnie, Ruchlovsky are going to play in GR next season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You think Danielson, Kasper and Mazur will still be in GR after this year?

Well, when looking to our UFAs after season, for me Fischer, Motte and Snively are the placeholders for Kasper/Mazur/Danielson. And Määttä/Petry are those for Johansson and Wallinder. Husso/Lyon for Cossa.

The slots are opening, who knows if MBN can be one too. The jump towards youth will really happen for season 2025-26.

And again, as comparing to Yzerman operating at Tampa, he did give 15-20 game stints for those guys, before getting them regulars. That's what we can expect for season 2024-25.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad