Prospect Info: Wings Prospect Discussion

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I value these prospect (pool) rankings at the same level I value a random HF poster's ranking. They are just opinions and wrong most of the time. Same with draft rankings. And "most of the time" is a huge understatement.
Also 10th is a good ranking. Gotta keep things in perspective.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Also 10th is a good ranking. Gotta keep things in perspective.

Should be better.

Which 9 teams are better? I can think of maybe 4.

Anaheim, Buffalo, Columbus (if you still count Fantilli) and MAYBE Montreal. I think Nashville is close, but Detroit should be no worse than 6 in the rankings.

Reactions: lilidk

Twinger

Sep 28, 2017
10 seems a little low but it really depends on what exactly the ranker values, I.e. Age, ceiling, floor, postion. 4-8 seems pretty fair for us.

Granted outside of newest top prospects I don't know much about other teams

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
with Minnesota still not ranked on those rankings i'm perversely curious to see how much absurdly higher than Cossa they probably have Wallstedt

My guess is there's some stat watching for Danila Yurov and Riley Heidt. (How did he fall so far anyway? I thought he was supposed to be a 1st round pick. Is his skating bad or his attitude?)

Minnesota has some decent forward prospects at the top but don't seem very deep. On defense they don't look great either. Carson Lambos is looking like Jared McIsaac. Faber is full time with the team and they don't really have anyone else on D in their prospect pool.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Should be better.

Which 9 teams are better? I can think of maybe 4.

Anaheim, Buffalo, Columbus (if you still count Fantilli) and MAYBE Montreal. I think Nashville is close, but Detroit should be no worse than 6 in the rankings.
I could see Dallas, maybe Philly just because of Michkov, Chicago I guess. Rankings that focus mainly on the top 2-3 guys and don’t rate depth/goalies as much will have us lower.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
AJo looks low , everything else is about right

Potential?
I mean I would imagine so? They obviously, as does any of these prospect rating sites, have favored traits/tools in prospects. For me, I take a 6'6" defencemen, that can skate, defend, and move the puck up the ice; over what I would consider a more specialized prospect. Not to say I am down on Pelikka, but I think Ed can have a greater overall impact on a game if he reaches his potential.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I mean I would imagine so? They obviously, as does any of these prospect rating sites, have favored traits/tools in prospects. For me, I take a 6'6" defencemen, that can skate, defend, and move the puck up the ice; over what I would consider a more specialized prospect. Not to say I am down on Pelikka, but I think Ed can have a greater overall impact on a game if he reaches his potential.
Who knows , I think ASP and Edvinsson should be on the same pair and benefits from each other

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
The Dobbers stuff is an outlier ranking, not worth taking seriously even in the not-to-taken-seriously world of prospect pool rankings. It was a nice touch though to give evaluation points to a decimal value. Gives the impression of some seriously deep calculation going on of so much relevant data that it can't be boiled down to just whole numbers, it needs to be in tenths and even hundredths. Probably took hours of number-crunching and informed debate amongst hockey wizards to produce Buchelnikov's 5.48 as opposed to 5.61 or 5.34.

It's fantasy content, nothing more, based almost entirely on point production, highlights and social media gossip amongst the commentary community, and filtered through one dubious content producer. The Wings have a very good prospect pool, largely filled at the top with quality two-way players who will be better NHLers than many higher scoring prospects getting more attention.

Christien

May 1, 2010

I'd prefer he stay over there and develop his game until he's ready; it usually bodes well for the Russian players who cross the pond.

What else does he have to do to earn a permanent KHL spot? He played very well for the Admiral in the KHL this season

Reactions: David D

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I mean, there's some considerations here.

The KHL is decent competition.
Pay is better than the AHL.
Don't have to ride the bus.

I have never had any expectation that Buchelnikov would actually come to NA. He has to be aware of how the Red Wings are handling the prospect pipeline, and he is likely below all of Kasper, Danielson, Mazur, Berggren, and possibly even Lombardi. I don't blame him for not wanting to ride a bus for three years and having to piss off President Vladimir "my enemies voluntarily fall out of windows" Putin for the privilege.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
He was already signed next year, but I think in the KHL they re-negotiate contracts sometimes. So I'm assuming he just tacked on an extra year beyond next season.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'd prefer he stay over there and develop his game until he's ready; it usually bodes well for the Russian players who cross the pond.

What else does he have to do to earn a permanent KHL spot? He played very well for the Admiral in the KHL this season
How long do we have his rights ?
I actually don't get it , elite prospects showing 24-25 with CKA and why him, they have Demidov and Michkov ahead

Christien

May 1, 2010
How long do we have his rights ?
I actually don't get it , elite prospects showing 24-25 with CKA and why him, they have Demidov and Michkov ahead
Last I heard was that there’s a good chance Michkov plays in Philly next season, but I get what you’re saying. His KHL club is pretty stacked. Maybe they loan him out again if he can’t hold down a spot there

Reactions: lilidk

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I always assumed he'd spend 3-4 years in the KHL before coming over to North America unless he was a PPG player before then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad