Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not really getting any attention is Walton who sits in the league top 5 of plus/minus with a +10. Not a huge fan of that stat and having the leagues top scorers playing in front of you helps but definitely a big improvement from last year.

And of course don't forget Christoforo gets into a scrum and puts a headlock on a player, 2 minutes for roughing, lol. He is playing much improved hockey from last year. The team as a whole has played much much better so far this year. Long ways to go and a trade deadline that will change the landscape of the league so I will stick with tempered enthusiasm but it sure has been fun so far. Be safe.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You guys maybe in on Musty? Interested?

I expect Bowler to kick tires and see what the options are. That's his job. However, Windsor doesn't *need* Musty right now. They could use an 05 or 06 stay-at-home D but I don't think giving up significant assets for Musty when they're already dominating up front makes much sense. That said, something something Shane Wright...

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I expect Bowler to kick tires and see what the options are. That's his job. However, Windsor doesn't *need* Musty right now. They could use an 05 or 06 stay-at-home D but I don't think giving up significant assets for Musty when they're already dominating up front makes much sense. That said, something something Shane Wright...
Wright was a mistake..

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
With the absolute wealth of quality young players on this team I think it's totally possible that Bowler moves assets to get a big fish like Musty. Sure an elite defenseman is preferred, but those guys aren't exactly plentiful or cheap. With the Musty situation you have the potential to add another top veteran forward who was made to play Spitfire hockey and can be a difference maker at more of a discount price. I don't think we need a Max Kaminsky trophy winner for the blue line, whatever top pairing guy is available at the deadline from a sellilng team should be good enough to get the job done. The chance to get a guy like that and keep him from the competition is too tasty to ignore I think. Sudbury is over the barrel here.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
What's a realistic price that we should/would pay for Musty?
I have to imagine it goes down a little each day… He’s unwilling to play for the Wolves.

Have to imagine Sudbury wants to move him to the Western Conference.

I understand wanting a trade and requesting a trade, I just wonder what’s so bad in Sudbury, he wouldn’t go for a few weeks until that happens. I guess I’ve got nothing to lose playing low level rec hockey, but I can’t imagine sitting out just because I’m supposed to be on a losing team.

He’s a great player, and maybe it’s all agent/scout/san Jose fueled stuff holding him from going back to Sudbury… but after all the stupid Zito stuff, it makes me think twice about bringing anyone here that’s not willing to play elsewhere, as I fear for underlying issues that may resurface wherever the final destination is.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
If next year is or becomes the go all in year I can see Greentree, Spellacy and even possibly Protas returning. Nhl teams love youth with high stress championship experience in their Junior career. As for this year, I think we could use 1 maybe 2 more good solid D 06 if possible. Our D depth is still weak should any 1 of our top 4 goes out for any time. Outwater, Joey and Eichler our potential OA'S so far for next year. Joey likely a shoein if he keeps up his current play. Can Eichler and Outwater play themselves into a spot next year. Time will tell.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Spits keep playing like this other west teams will be looking for help and may overpay for Musty. Im sure SJ wants him back playing. Dont kid yourselves they will be involved in his move. Does he fit here? Personally i dont know, teenagers are a funny breed id need a long chat with all involved before i grabbed him.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Totally agree. I was mentioning candidates and only JC is secure at present imo
I agree on Eichler. If Constanzo keeps playing like he has so far, he may wind up with an NHL contract. However, it wouldn't surprise if an NHL team sends him back for an OA season. Outwater is an interesting one. If he can stay healthy, he might start to live up to the potential he had when NB drafted him in the 1st Round.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Totally agree. I was mentioning candidates and only JC is secure at present imo
Yeah, we have 5, 05s. Winegard and Martin are in that group as well. They’re not getting top 6/top 9 minutes this year, so I get why they're not mentioned, imagine they’re both done here after this year.

I see Outwater getting a spot if he can remain healthy. Small sample but he’s been much more noticeable this season so far.

Eichler i’d normally say no. But if we lose Protas (which I’d say is likely) may be hard to fill both import spots with someone better/affordable out of the gate. Could see him sticking around until a move is made to bring in an import and an OA separately.

I try not to speculate too much on next year… because well, I could see Bowler going in this year.

I don’t think we NEED musty but the reason to get him would be so an opponent doesn’t. I’d see a Musty acquisition being close to Wright in terms of media coverage. I just hope if we go in on Musty, we don’t have a Harrison-like deal in addition. I felt that was the bust of the deadline.

I also wonder who can pay for Musty. I always struggle pulling up the draft pick database but I can’t imagine Saginaw has much to offer, and they’re also too good right now to move Parekh or Misa, although I see both being available at next years deadline. London’s good at acquiring assets, but after their push last year, I’m not sure they’d have what it takes.

But the longer Musty stays off the ice, the worse for his development and the lower his value goes IMO.

We’re in an interesting spot with a great 06 class, with very limited 05s. (What’s shaping to be) a great 08 class, with very limited 07s (Nesbitt, Manzo). I kind of like the model as we can base around a group and bring in good OAs for cheaper than senior players that are off to pro the following year.

I don’t think I’d shake anything up until Christmas. We have 13 forwards with a healthy roster, and I see Martin as the odd one out, maybe slotting in for the undersized Garden in a physical game. I don’t see another clear forward to be pushed out if we acquire someone just for picks.

Again, small sample but we’re 15% of the way in already and I haven’t seen anything from Lemeuix, Belchetz or Garden (08s) that have shown they don’t belong at this level. All seem worthy of Bottom 6 minutes at the minimum, and the experience will help down the line. Gardens small and pushed around a bit but I like his speed and style of game

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I agree on Eichler. If Constanzo keeps playing like he has so far, he may wind up with an NHL contract. However, it wouldn't surprise if an NHL team sends him back for an OA season. Outwater is an interesting one. If he can stay healthy, he might start to live up to the potential he had when NB drafted him in the 1st Round
With all the skilled goalies, and NHL drafted goalies that play an OA Year in the OHL, I can’t imagine Costanzo is the exception.

Reactions: OHL 17

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I agree on Eichler. If Constanzo keeps playing like he has so far, he may wind up with an NHL contract. However, it wouldn't surprise if an NHL team sends him back for an OA season. Outwater is an interesting one. If he can stay healthy, he might start to live up to the potential he had when NB drafted him in the 1st Round.
Can't see a chance that Costanzo would be signed by an NHL team. Maybe after his OA year he signs an AHL or ECHL deal but not seeing much chance now. He needs to keep is play up for awhile before he gets looks. Now I like what I see and he is definitely playing much better but past history on goalies will mean the long road for him.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I'm nervous that Bowler might make some moves soon after their first 10 games, they have looked good. No idea what but shoring up the D has to be priority 1. Maybe Manzo might draw some interest?
By my count they have 5 seconds? Not really convinced this is the year, especially considering the talent in the east and of course London but Bowler has all the info on who is coming back etc etc so maybe it is the year? Be safe.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Yeah, we have 5, 05s. Winegard and Martin are in that group as well. They’re not getting top 6/top 9 minutes this year, so I get why they're not mentioned, imagine they’re both done here after this year.

I see Outwater getting a spot if he can remain healthy. Small sample but he’s been much more noticeable this season so far.

Eichler i’d normally say no. But if we lose Protas (which I’d say is likely) may be hard to fill both import spots with someone better/affordable out of the gate. Could see him sticking around until a move is made to bring in an import and an OA separately.

This is kind of my thought on next season. Winegard won't (shouldn't) have a spot. Nothing personal just isn't at that level. Martin is 50/50 depending on how he does the rest of the season. Outwater should have an OA spot if he gets healthy; he can produce. Eichler is 50/50 for me because, while he's not flashy, is he worse than a new import? I don't know. Costanzo could be back if he keeps this up and they're making a run. If not, Froggett/Windbiel is your duo.
I'm nervous that Bowler might make some moves soon after their first 10 games, they have looked good. No idea what but shoring up the D has to be priority 1. Maybe Manzo might draw some interest?
By my count they have 5 seconds? Not really convinced this is the year, especially considering the talent in the east and of course London but Bowler has all the info on who is coming back etc etc so maybe it is the year? Be safe.

Bowler's going to do something, we just don't know how big. You're right, defence has to be a priority and good call on Manzo. I like the kid but, if you can get a top three 05 or 06 for Manzo+picks, you have to look at it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I think they will evaluate after the u17 world hockey challenge. They're going to be missing Hicks Belchetz Lemieux. If Davis is back healthy that will help but Winegard/Eichler/Manzo/Martin will be getting increased ice time.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
This is kind of my thought on next season. Winegard won't (shouldn't) have a spot. Nothing personal just isn't at that level. Martin is 50/50 depending on how he does the rest of the season. Outwater should have an OA spot if he gets healthy; he can produce. Eichler is 50/50 for me because, while he's not flashy, is he worse than a new import? I don't know. Costanzo could be back if he keeps this up and they're making a run. If not, Froggett/Windbiel is your duo.

Bowler's going to do something, we just don't know how big. You're right, defence has to be a priority and good call on Manzo. I like the kid but, if you can get a top three 05 or 06 for Manzo+picks, you have to look at it.
Martin shouldn't.
Outwater injury prone. U can pick up another oa somewhere else.

Reactions: Cherrydon

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR

I think JC is back based on experience to lead Windbiel. Froggett no offense to him but has not proven anything yet. 4.46 gaa in 2 games so far this year and 5.66 in 2 games last year. May see Newlove at some point this year unless Froggett turns it around.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think JC is back based on experience to lead Windbiel. Froggett no offense to him but has not proven anything yet. 4.46 gaa in 2 games so far this year and 5.66 in 2 games last year. May see Newlove at some point this year unless Froggett turns it around.

Two games, 121 minutes, in a month isn't much of a chance to prove anything. Both were road games. I get that Costanzo has the hot hand but they need to see what Froggett can do, at least.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Two games, 121 minutes, in a month isn't much of a chance to prove anything. Both were road games. I get that Costanzo has the hot hand but they need to see what Froggett can do, at least.
I'm not suggesting to give up on him but agree more record is needed to make a determination.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I don’t think froggett has a chance coming back if he doesn’t improve those numbers big time. Windbiel sounds promising. Would make sense to have JC play 60-70% of the games next year as an OA with Windbiel backing him up. When JC moves onto bigger and brighter things Windbiel takes over (probably with a goalie they draft in this coming draft(2025) )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad