Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
When you see the Spits centers behind our net as much as our defenseman you know team defense is a focus this year.

Nice to see Joey getting his confidence back.

The 08 rookies will be fine. They are getting the right amount of ice time now.

Also from what I've heard they like playing for Walters so that would make me assume he has approached this year in a different manner and maybe got the message?

Tough game tonight. Owen Sound will clog up the ice similar to what we saw last night. Any games I've seen of OS this year they never quit playing so Spits need to be ready and hopefully get up early.
Defense is not always that low in our end...

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I wonder about buying this year too. Greentree & Spellacy should be back, I doubt even if the season ended today, Protas would be… but there is a chance any/all of them are gone next year. I can’t imagine selling any of those pieces the way it’s been going so far.

At the same time, I don’t think “All In” is the way to go either. I really like our 08’ group and I don’t want to move those pieces if we’re trying to be competitive long term… we’re on track.

With how things are now, I think a conservative buy year would be my preference. Let’s get a better look at Froggett, and keep an eye on the progress of our D. Picking up a quality backup/potential starter for insurance and adding a top minute D man are the additions I’d currently make if the deadline was here. Scoring hasn’t been an issue, I wouldn’t be opposed to adding a body up front (it would push out a 4th liner), but scorings been a non-issue.

I have the mentality that if things are working, don’t shake up the room too much.

Again, I see this a lot like our OHL final year. Playing above expectations. I think we’ll learn if Bowler regrets not going all in that year based on moves he makes this year.

If we have two super competitive years, finish last and repeat, I don’t mind the model.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I feel Christoforo has been stellar this year, even with the point sheet aside. He’s never going to be that big physical D man. But. He’s getting guys to the outside, jumping up in the play at opportune times (with forwards being more responsible to help), and he’s blocked SO many shots already.

I don’t know what made the turn but I like it. Maybe Mathurin is just the right partner for him? I wonder too if he was playing it a bit too safe in his draft year. Didn’t seem like he wanted to be touched, and he certainly wasn’t dropping a knee in front of so many shots.

It almost feels like he was trying to stay healthy to get him to the draft, and now he didn’t hear his name called, he’s did a 180 and is blocking every shot. That’s probably just my view from the stands, but I’m glad we held onto him.

Maybe the change of scenery needed was just a quality head coach.

Walters is doing wonders, and he’s making the Smith choice look even worse than it did last year

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Just a personal note. I have enjoyed reading the comments from everyone regarding our SPITS so far this year but until now haven’t been able to comment let alone watch a game live or otherwise. 1stly I was in Hotel Dieu and now their rehab. Hopefully I’ll get home at the end of the month. Meanwhile I’ll just quietly enjoy the bantering. Keep up the good work…Punch

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Just a personal note. I have enjoyed reading the comments from everyone regarding our SPITS so far this year but until now haven’t been able to comment let alone watch a game live or otherwise. 1stly I was in Hotel Dieu and now their rehab. Hopefully I’ll get home at the end of the month. Meanwhile I’ll just quietly enjoy the bantering. Keep up the good work…Punch
Well all the best to you and hopefully you will be able to chat it up more soon.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I feel Christoforo has been stellar this year, even with the point sheet aside. He’s never going to be that big physical D man. But. He’s getting guys to the outside, jumping up in the play at opportune times (with forwards being more responsible to help), and he’s blocked SO many shots already.

I don’t know what made the turn but I like it. Maybe Mathurin is just the right partner for him? I wonder too if he was playing it a bit too safe in his draft year. Didn’t seem like he wanted to be touched, and he certainly wasn’t dropping a knee in front of so many shots.

It almost feels like he was trying to stay healthy to get him to the draft, and now he didn’t hear his name called, he’s did a 180 and is blocking every shot. That’s probably just my view from the stands, but I’m glad we held onto him.

Maybe the change of scenery needed was just a quality head coach.

Walters is doing wonders, and he’s making the Smith choice look even worse than it did last year
Still out of position a lot.
However forwards are covering for his wandering more..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad