Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Nice start tonight against the Bulldongs, this Spitfire team is looking legit. I always read on here how awesome their organization is but the second year out from our battle in the league finals and nobody in their right mind would prefer their rebuild to ours.

I take back everything I ever said bad about Constanzo in the preseason, he has been our best player tonight so far, bailing out the penalty kill several times with outstanding saves. The breakout on that power play goal we scored was something else, and was directly responsible for it being scored. That was a nice piece of coaching by the new guy. It looks all good, bring it home boys.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I will admit, I was skeptical coming into tonight's game. Something about road games with this team in the past has left me nervous and not confident. They're slowly changing my mind. You jump out to a nice lead, then shut the door when you need to on multiple 5-on-3s? This was another team effort with no passengers. I would have preferred if they didn't allow the multiple 5-on-3s; that's something to clean up next game. However, the team seems ready to tackle whatever comes their way. That's a breath of fresh air. Now, they've got a major test with Brampton and Erie next Friday and Saturday. Brampton is an undefeated beast while Erie's never easy in Erie. Honestly, if Windsor can come away with two points out of those, I'll be content.

Right now, though, I'll certainly take four wins and nine points in five games. BTW, as of me typing this, Windsor has the best GF-GA ratio/totals in the entire CHL (31-12).

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Still trying hard to temper my enthusiasm but hey this is too fun not to enjoy it.

I agree about this weekend. Probably the toughest 3 teams they will play bunched together on 1 weekend and two of those games on the road. Definitely a big test early in the season.

Eichler needs to tone it down a bit. He is too aggressive and against good teams penalties will cost them.

Where did this Costanzo guy come from?! Should have had him here last year. Sure hope he can keep this momentum.

Christoforo looks much better on D this year. You can see how much better the forwards are supporting the D and it really helps them especially Christoforo and Walton. This would be the result of better coaching.

Fun ride so far but there will be some bumpy patches. As long as they keep the compete level high the bumpy patches won't last long or be as ugly as last year. Be safe.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
There were some soft reffing calls both ways. The slash on Spellacy that led to our 3rd goal was relatively weak too. It wasn’t great, but I thought that first game in Saginaw was worse.

Spellacy and Davis stuck out to me yesterday. Davis had so many chances, I’m excited to see him progress this season.

Christoforo was also positively noticeable. Good passing, blocking shots, in the right place at the wrong time. I wonder if he’s a product of his environment. Both seasons he’s been on a ‘winning’ team, he’s looked good. Last season, not so much.

I wonder too if there’s some confidence issues Christo/Costanzo when teams sink in the standings. I feel a lot of these kids up until their OHL careers are standouts in their leagues. I know there’s been some 4th Line Forwards/3rd Pairing OHL D Men, that ran their leagues and were the difference on their teams growing up. Starting to lose games and not being able to be the single guy to change that, may actually be a new thing to most these kids.

Joeys also looking great. The skills always been there… and I’m not taking anything from him, but we gotta hold onto this new goalie coach.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Agree with what everyone has posted Spits certainly on a role,looks like a total team effort and everyone has bought in.
Contributions from everyone, pretty impressive when after 5 games played 11 players have averaged a point or more a game in fact 9 of those 11 are averaging a point or more a game.
Goaltending especially Joey Costanzo has been outstanding he currently is 4-0,an average of 1.74 and a save percentage of .943,and since the 1st game at Saginaw when he allowed 4 goals in an 0T win,he has 3 goals in his last 3 starts,didn't see this 2 years and definitely last year when struggled mightily and finished above 5 goals per game against.While not all his fault he did have a bad year,this year great start so far.
Team wise very deep upfront, great size,PP last year was 12th OA,currently 3rd with a 33% effiency rate,PK last year was 19th at 77% effiency, this season so far 7th overall 88% effiency 22/25 plus they have scored 2 shorties.
It has been a fun ride so far,everybody seems to have bought in,dangerous team in my view.
Next week starting next Friday should be a good test with games at Brampton and then at Erie on Saturday, before coming home to play Monday afternoon vs Oshawa at 2.
Team will be getting Dman Tanner Winegard and Center JC Lemieiux back from their 2 game suspensions and will be welcome additions.
No definite word on Owen Outwater and his injury status,week to week according to website.
Go Spits Go

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Something worth noting: Spitfires might avoid Ivankovic next weekend. He got into a goalie tilt with Owen Flores during the Bram/Nia game this afternoon. Some video is available on Twitter. Looked like everyone paired off, one other fight actually happened.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Max Brocklehurst winger sent to LA Salle this week,picked up 2 assists and missed a penalty shot in the 2nd period vs Pelham Panthers.
His 1st assist tied the game at 3 and 2nd one was on the winner scored in overtime.
Both the goals he assisted was scored by rookie winger Julien Gignac.
16 year old goalie Jake Windbiel played 2 periods allowed 2 goals before being replaced by Dante Bortelon.
His average is 1.80 after 2 games played with a 948 save percentage .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad