Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Spellacy has been returned to the Spitfires.
I don’t want to say I was worried… but I was getting a little nervous. Quite an extended look from a 3rd Round selection.

Never would’ve put money on him staying up longer than Greentree, although the team drafted to makes a big difference.

Seemed last year like Spellacy had a lot of tools and just needed to become an expert in using them. Excited to see what he’s picked up and brings back to the O.

I always get a bit confused on when they’re AHL eligible. I know it’s not this year, but are the 06 crop required to the OHL or NHL rules in 25-26? Or can they be AHL bound?

Belchetz & Spellacy as PK guys may get us to lead the league in shorties

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
I don’t want to say I was worried… but I was getting a little nervous. Quite an extended look from a 3rd Round selection.

Never would’ve put money on him staying up longer than Greentree, although the team drafted to makes a big difference.

Seemed last year like Spellacy had a lot of tools and just needed to become an expert in using them. Excited to see what he’s picked up and brings back to the O.

I always get a bit confused on when they’re AHL eligible. I know it’s not this year, but are the 06 crop required to the OHL or NHL rules in 25-26? Or can they be AHL bound?

No AHL option for the 06 crop next year, it's NHL or OHL. Only exception for 19-year old players was during the COVID year for those who reached a certain number of AHL games played (ex. Foudy)

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR

If drafted out of the OHL the CHL transfer agreement kicks in. He either had to make Chicago or return to the Spits.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With the news that Spellacy is returning to Windsor from Chicago Black Hawks, probably playing tomorrow along with Euro forward Ilya Protas who arrived during Saturdays game vs Kitchener, and also expect veteran dman Tinus Mathurin to return to the lineup after suffering from back spasms,all 3 players have not played many games so far both in exhibition and regular season, 1 game in exhibition for Spellacy had 1 assist,Protas 1 game an exhibition he scored 3 goals and Mathurin had played 2 exhibition games and 1 regular season game,in 1st game of the regular season, out the last 2.
The forwards going in Spellacy and Protas beside speed offer size and speed and skill,really adds to the depth,while Mathurin is the best defensive dman Windsor has.
Will be interesting who plays with who tomorrow, although I would keep Belchetz with Greentree and Nesbitt, Abraham gets Protas and Spellacy, while Morneau gets Davis and Outwater, Garden winds up with Martin and Outwater.
I expect the 3 guys to replace Lemieux (suspension),Winegard (suspension),Manzo(extra),though I hate losing Lemieux for 2 games, as he is 2nd in league rookie scoring with 5 points,2G,3A in his 3 games though he trails fellow rookie and teammate Ethan Belchetz by 3 points as Belchetz has 4G,4A in his 1st 3 games.
Those 2 are the only 2 rookies in the leagues top 24 in scoring despite being 16 years old.
I would play Costanzo tomorrow and Froggett Saturday.
While I don't expect to score 12 goals tomorrow I don't expect scoring to be an issue moving forward with the guys coming in.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Jake Windbiel, 16 year old goalie made his debut a successful one tonight as LaSalle beat Caledonia 5-1 at the Vollmer Centre.
So after 1 game his average is 1.00,and he stopped 36-37 shots,his save percentage an impressive .973.
Micheal Newlove the 17 year old goalie playing for Georgetown his numbers are 7GP- 2.89 average, 2-2-1-2 and a save percentage of .910
Dante Bertolin (18) is with LA Salle-6GP
.252 average,.917 save percentage 3-2 record.
Cameron Ingram the other 16 year old tender taken in the past OHl draft playing in an U18 league
2GP-3
2.37 Ave,2-0 record no save percentage listed
And finally 17 year Gabriel Donahue drafted last year 2GP-5.13 average average 0-2 record.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
No AHL option for the 06 crop next year, it's NHL or OHL. Only exception for 19-year old players was during the COVID year for those who reached a certain number of AHL games played (ex. Foudy)
Perfect, thank you.

So this year (draft year) and the year after, they’re OHL/NHL. It’s not until their OA season they get that AHL eligibility, if drafted out of the CHL.

So, different situation for Protas, who was drafted for the NHL, before acquired by Windsor.

northwest

Apr 21, 2024
Jake Windbiel, 16 year old goalie made his debut a successful one tonight as LaSalle beat Caledonia 5-1 at the Vollmer Centre.
So after 1 game his average is 1.00,and he stopped 36-37 shots,his save percentage an impressive .973.
Micheal Newlove the 17 year old goalie playing for Georgetown his numbers are 7GP- 2.89 average, 2-2-1-2 and a save percentage of .910
Dante Bertolin (18) is with LA Salle-6GP
.252 average,.917 save percentage 3-2 record.
Cameron Ingram the other 16 year old tender taken in the past OHl draft playing in an U18 league
2GP-3
2.37 Ave,2-0 record no save percentage listed
And finally 17 year Gabriel Donahue drafted last year 2GP-5.13 average average 0-2 record.
Looks like Ingram is also AP for Georgetown. Good game for Windbiel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad