Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Lemieux was the 2nd pick and was signed and he stays all year. Auto A card. Cannot be sent down to B or traded as he was not a 1st rounder. That is why Davis wasn't signed initially and the year before Manzo. Second picks ( not necessarily 2nd round) stick if they signed with the OHL club. Both 2nd picks overall by the Spits signed with Lasalle so they could be sent there. Nothing new here. Just this year with 6 signed with 2 being US born players makes it confusing and highly rare. Garden, Windbiel, Belchetz, Lemieux make the roster based on rules. Belchetz and Lemieux are the 2 regular roster spots and Garden andvWindbiel are the 2 allowed wild card roster spots. 4 total 16 yr olds as per CHL rule book. Hicks and Brocklehurst are Canadian born so they can be sent to Jr B. If Windbiel and Garden were Canadian, Bowler could have assigned any of the 4 to Lasalle etc.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Lemieux was the 2nd pick and was signed and he stays all year. Auto A card. Cannot be sent down to B or traded as he was not a 1st rounder. That is why Davis wasn't signed initially and the year before Manzo. Second picks ( not necessarily 2nd round) stick if they signed with the OHL club. Both 2nd picks overall by the Spits signed with Lasalle so they could be sent there. Nothing new here. Just this year with 6 signed with 2 being US born players makes it confusing and highly rare. Garden, Windbiel, Belchetz, Lemieux make the roster based on rules. Belchetz and Lemieux are the 2 regular roster spots and Garden andvWindbiel are the 2 allowed wild card roster spots. 4 total 16 yr olds as per CHL rule book. Hicks and Brocklehurst are Canadian born so they can be sent to Jr B. If Windbiel and Garden were Canadian, Bowler could have assigned any of the 4 to Lasalle etc.
From what I've picked up on these boards this isn't correct. There were tons of 2nd picks last year that weren't in the OHL all year. Gravelle (Oshawa), Weir (Kingston), Medvedev (London) and Cloutier (Saginaw) all played less than 5 games.

I think all it means is that if you have 4 16 year olds, 2 of them have to be your top two picks. If one of your top two picks isn't ready, then you're stuck with only being able to play 3.

Reactions: Cherrydon

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
That's true. Great point. I was working on the assumption that the Spits will and plan to carry 4- 16yr olds this year. If they do, then Lemieux will be one of them. Yes, you can assign an affiliate player to the GOJHL as long as they have not played more than 5 games in Major junior in same season. That of course changes after playoffs/season is done for said GOJHL team.

thespitslurker

Aug 29, 2024
Wish I could go to the Atlas Tube for tonights game but alas I work :( . Im assuming Costanzo starts tonight to prove himself. I forgot who was scratched last game that could play today but I could see one of the older guys like Morneau or Abraham getting a night off. Im also assuming no one is suspended but with all the fights and misconducts im kinda surprised no one is yet. Hopefully we beat Niagara but we'll see how it goes. Curious to see what BB does with all the extra players we got. Go Spits Go!

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
That's true. Great point. I was working on the assumption that the Spits will and plan to carry 4- 16yr olds this year. If they do, then Lemieux will be one of them. Yes, you can assign an affiliate player to the GOJHL as long as they have not played more than 5 games in Major junior in same season. That of course changes after playoffs/season is done for said GOJHL team.
Not sure if you read other threads or not but it sounds like these rules are about to/ or have already changed.
No limit on games before Jan 10 and after reduced to 10 for the remainder of the season. Also no limit on 16 yr olds assigned to B but that sounds like only the Jrb league. Also who can be reassigned has already been changed?
Ohl4life maybe you can clarify?

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Not sure if you read other threads or not but it sounds like these rules are about to/ or have already changed.
No limit on games before Jan 10 and after reduced to 10 for the remainder of the season. Also no limit on 16 yr olds assigned to B but that sounds like only the Jrb league. Also who can be reassigned has already been changed?
Ohl4life maybe you can clarify?
Thanks! I read where they were doing a test model this year with the WHL, but hadn't seen anything recent for the Ontario Hockey Federation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad