Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Belchetz keeps scoring. Runaway favourite for rookie of the year obviously being the #1 pick. Wonder if he scores 40 goals

My guess is in the 30s

thespitslurker

Aug 29, 2024
Yeah Im getting more and more impressed by him. Initially I wasnt sure if we should pick Wassilyn at 1 but with the right teammates and lineup this year I think we made a good pick. The players around him will totally help him succeed. Greentree, Davis, Abraham, Spellacy, Protas, etc. Play him with any of those guys and he will excel. Looking good! Go Spits Go!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A few thoughts from tonight...

- Not a bad crowd overall. There was a lineup right at 5:30 when the doors opened and they slowly/steadily came in. I've read the complex holds 1,000 and I'd guess there were 800-900 in attendance? It was a beautiful rink overall.

The good:

- Belchetz. He makes this game look easy; not from a coast-to-coast, speed-to-burn view but he's aggressive on the forecheck, he uses his linemates, and he'll quickly make his move and it's in the back of the net.
- Nesbitt with another good game. He's not likely to be the 30-goal first-rounder but he's going to give you production and physical play. I'm warming up to him for sure.
- Outwater is another one who's making me take a second look. He seems much more comfortable out there, using his size to create chances.
- Rookie wise, Gaymes was throwing the body around and getting in people's faces. Garden has incredible speed and doesn't give up on the forecheck. Once he adjusts, he's going to be really fun to watch.
- Walton continues to use his size well and it feels like a light-switch has been flicked. He's night-and-day physically, almost looks like he's relishing the idea of being that physical type. I'm curious as to what the difference has been.
- Hicks and Manzo both looked comfortable out there, albeit young.
- Eichler with a couple of bit hits plus got into a scrum with a bigger Colosimo. The kid has no fear and, if he can stay disciplined, I appreciate it.
- Froggett saw 60 minutes and looked very good. I didn't get a great look at the goals from the other end but I'm more confident with him in goal than I am Costanzo, to be honest.

The Not-so-Good:

- Six PPs against can't happen. It felt like they were handing the Firebirds a chance to get back into it.
- My gut says Lemieux is destined for LaSalle. I want to notice him out there, but it's not happening. I'd say the same for Brocklehurst, too (LaSalle wise). He has speed and throws the body but I think a season in Jr B would do him wonders.
- The win was overall bittersweet; up 3-0, tied 3-3, get the 5-3 win. Allowing Flint to come back is not great but it's also a good lesson that you can't let up.

Just thinking out loud here about the cuts to come...

F - Spellacy, Morneau, Abraham, Gaymes, Protas, Belchetz, Greentree, Nesbitt, Davis, Outwater. That's 10. Bubble - Greenwell, Stewart, Lemieux, Morgan, Martin, Garden, Brocklehurst.

Keep... Garden and Martin up, that's 12. Who are your "in case of injury, break glass" guys?

D - Cristoforo, Eichler, Mathurin, Walton, Woodall. That's five. Manzo probably stays up, making it six. Winegard, Lavigne, Hicks, Hjelholt all going for one spot, the rest to Jr. B. I don't know...

G - This one is simpler - it should be Froggett/Windbiel but will Bowler do that?

Reactions: Cherrydon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad