Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
A solid win for the squad. Owen Sound is a veteran team in their contending season. A good sign for next season as the 06's and in the case of Nesbitt who had two points, the '07, were key in the win against a veteran Owen Sound squad.

A great crowd of just under 5,200.

Gonna be tough to finish below Niagara who are dealing with injuries. The Petes might end up finishing below the Spitfires as well. Really want a top 3 pick as Wassilyn, Valentini and Belchetz seem to be creating separation from the rest in the OHL draft.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A few thoughts....

Goals against...

1. Greentree has the puck in the Windsor zone. It's poked away, goes to OS. Barlow gets it, snaps it blocker side. Not on Costanzo.

2. The two d-men have their guy, so Guindon skates in to the glove-side FO dot and snaps it home. I think Costanzo wants that one back.

3. Two Spitfires collide, the Attack get the puck. They crash the net with guys on them and find a way to beat Costanzo.

4. One-timer for Barlow who wires it glove side. Nothing you'll do about that.

- It's been a similar story for a while now. Windsor gets a lead, finds a way to lose it, then comes back. This time, they held on to the comeback for the win.
- Morneau with a pair and three points; he's showing that offensive side that many of us were hoping for. The kid is lining himself up for an OA season. If he can keep this up...
- Nesbitt with another one. He's not going to dazzle you with the speed or stick but he'll grind out those goals.
- Cristoforo with one of his own, tapping it in glove side. We can harp on him pinching if it makes you feel better but if he can keep producing offensively, with the speed he has, pinch away.
- The fourth line was a minus-two, which is tough to do in this situation. I liked their energy, though.
- Spellacy keeps finding ways to produce. If his hands can find a way to consistently catch up to his feet, he's going to score 25-30, with insane speed. That's hard to find.
- Costanzo with a nice game. I think he'd like the Guindon goal and maybe the third goal back, but the other two were "good luck with that" shots.
- Abraham with another two points. If he can find a way onto the scoresheet, it's easier to accept a minor here or there.
- I'm not a fan of minor penalties late in the game, regardless of who takes them. You can't risk it. That said, Martin's shown more than enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes, his aggression/size gets the better of him.
- I loved the Flash jerseys. They were slick, clean, and a fun design.

Windsor remains 10 points out of eighth, but they're not making it easy for anyone and, right now, that's all you can ask. They've got Brantford on Wednesday, then in Flint on Saturday, home to Soo on Sunday, then in London again on Monday. If they can get four to six points out of that, I'll be content. Brantford is winnable, Flint is winnable, Soo is tough but possible, and I'll be happy with a single point in London given it's four in six.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
A solid win for the squad. Owen Sound is a veteran team in their contending season. A good sign for next season as the 06's and in the case of Nesbitt who had two points, the '07, were key in the win against a veteran Owen Sound squad.

A great crowd of just under 5,200.

Gonna be tough to finish below Niagara who are dealing with injuries. The Petes might end up finishing below the Spitfires as well. Really want a top 3 pick as Wassilyn, Valentini and Belchetz seem to be creating separation from the rest in the OHL draft.
Niagara will finish last, 20th. Petes will finish 2nd last, 19th and Spits will finish 3rd last, 18th. There is no chance at this point that the Spits will pass either Flint or Sarnia. Both are playing about the same winning pace as the Spits. Unless the Spits get "lucky" in the lottery they will likely pick 3rd. It would be nice to pick 1st but it is also good for the Spits to remain competitive and win some games. A losing culture is hard to shake. Be safe.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
A few thoughts....

Goals against...

1. Greentree has the puck in the Windsor zone. It's poked away, goes to OS. Barlow gets it, snaps it blocker side. Not on Costanzo.

2. The two d-men have their guy, so Guindon skates in to the glove-side FO dot and snaps it home. I think Costanzo wants that one back.

3. Two Spitfires collide, the Attack get the puck. They crash the net with guys on them and find a way to beat Costanzo.

4. One-timer for Barlow who wires it glove side. Nothing you'll do about that.

- It's been a similar story for a while now. Windsor gets a lead, finds a way to lose it, then comes back. This time, they held on to the comeback for the win.
- Morneau with a pair and three points; he's showing that offensive side that many of us were hoping for. The kid is lining himself up for an OA season. If he can keep this up...
- Nesbitt with another one. He's not going to dazzle you with the speed or stick but he'll grind out those goals.
- Cristoforo with one of his own, tapping it in glove side. We can harp on him pinching if it makes you feel better but if he can keep producing offensively, with the speed he has, pinch away.
- The fourth line was a minus-two, which is tough to do in this situation. I liked their energy, though.
- Spellacy keeps finding ways to produce. If his hands can find a way to consistently catch up to his feet, he's going to score 25-30, with insane speed. That's hard to find.
- Costanzo with a nice game. I think he'd like the Guindon goal and maybe the third goal back, but the other two were "good luck with that" shots.
- Abraham with another two points. If he can find a way onto the scoresheet, it's easier to accept a minor here or there.
- I'm not a fan of minor penalties late in the game, regardless of who takes them. You can't risk it. That said, Martin's shown more than enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes, his aggression/size gets the better of him.
- I loved the Flash jerseys. They were slick, clean, and a fun design.

Windsor remains 10 points out of eighth, but they're not making it easy for anyone and, right now, that's all you can ask. They've got Brantford on Wednesday, then in Flint on Saturday, home to Soo on Sunday, then in London again on Monday. If they can get four to six points out of that, I'll be content. Brantford is winnable, Flint is winnable, Soo is tough but possible, and I'll be happy with a single point in London given it's four in six.
The forwards covering for 74 once again. Happens quite often.
No reason he should be waiting beside the net. He a defenseman or at least on the lineup it says he is...

Reactions: oldPeng

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The forwards covering for 74 once again. Happens quite often.
No reason he should be waiting beside the net. He a defenseman or at least on the lineup it says he is...

He's not the only one who pinches and other forwards come back to Donoso/Costanzo. Do you get this vocal about those? No. I'm guessing you're not happy that he did well? That's unfortunate.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
He's not the only one who pinches and other forwards come back to Donoso/Costanzo. Do you get this vocal about those? No. I'm guessing you're not happy that he did well? That's unfortunate.
He is the one that constantly does it. All game long.
No worries if he gets caught or such as he knows there will be no penalty to it by this coaching staff.
Good he scored.
However if he did so while playing his actual position would be better instead of pretending to be a forward..

Reactions: oldPeng

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Wins are good for a number of reasons, other than the draft pick. Some decent compete last night. Guys looked to be havin some fun. Truly this staff has no clue how to manage in game situations! The new HC will need to be a strong well respected type. Abraham… kid plays with emotion, needs to harness some of it. I think hes an OA guy for sure.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Wins are good for a number of reasons, other than the draft pick. Some decent compete last night. Guys looked to be havin some fun. Truly this staff has no clue how to manage in game situations! The new HC will need to be a strong well respected type. Abraham… kid plays with emotion, needs to harness some of it. I think hes an OA guy for sure.
I agree with this. Still think the Spits have to look very closely at the goaltending position. Costanzo hasn't been good and neither has been the D. How does that get better? I don't think bringing up Froggett makes them better. Costanzo has played 89 games now and has a large body of work. I don't believe Costanzo is capable of carrying a team yet you're not going to just revamp the whole D in two months. Too many questions and no answers.

Reactions: OHL 17

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Its a reason why BB should be gone. This D has been largely ignored for years now. You cant fix it in 1 off season. Compounded by the lack of solid D coaching your in a bad place. We wont even bring up the lack of physicality back there!! Goalies are a tough call, but you had a premier goalie coach on staff and you cut him loose! Again on BB.

Reactions: OHL 17 and oldPeng

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I agree about Abraham being an OA guy next year for sure.
His penchant for taking bad penalties needs to be mostly eliminated otherwise one of my favorite players since he has been here.
Spits are now 2-1-0-1 in their last 4 games,their play during most of the 3 in 3 games on the weekend against teams that didn't was pretty impressive, stuck with things despite some adversity in a couple of them
Spits are also 3-4-0-1 in their last 8,3-3-0-1 without Zito and 12-13-2-2 in the 29 games since the coaching changes,should mention of the 29 games,3 more played on the road.
Improved play from Morneau and Smith,especially Smith,Morneau 8 points in his last 7,Smith 8 points in his last 8,certainly those 2 plus Spellacy have helped in the scoring instead of Greentree, Abraham and Davis doing it all.
Gotta find someone to work with Zhugin,that's where I think both Zito and Outwater could have done something here,but with both gone for the year,a little thin,Nesbitt is improving, Martin a bit better then earlier,Spits and other teams have till Thursday to sign free agents wonder if Spits will act in this department.
I know the D gets criticized so here are there plus/ minus numbers for the last 4 and 8 games respectively.
Eichler- (0) and (+1),Christoforo-(0) and (+1),
Woodall-(-2) and (0),Toure-(+2) and (+2),
Walton-(0) and (0),Toms-(0) and (0),
Winegard-(0),and (+1).
Last 8 games Spits have scored 32 goals and allowed 32 goals plus 1 shootout goal against
Scoring wise as a group in the last 4 games Spits have outscored the opposition 6-2 in 1st periods,been outscored 10-3 in 2nd periods and have outscored teams in 3rd periods 7-4
Scoring wise in the last 8 games,they have outscored teams 10-7 in 1st periods,
they have been outscored 17-9 in 2nd periods and in 3rd periods they have outscored teams 13-10.
Clean up the 2nd period disparity and they will be fine,,it's been an issue all season,one of the better 1st period teams,but also 1 of the worst 2nd period teams.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I agree about Abraham being an OA guy next year for sure.
His penchant for taking bad penalties needs to be mostly eliminated otherwise one of my favorite players since he has been here.
Spits are now 2-1-0-1 in their last 4 games,their play during most of the 3 in 3 games on the weekend against teams that didn't was pretty impressive, stuck with things despite some adversity in a couple of them
Spits are also 3-4-0-1 in their last 8,3-3-0-1 without Zito and 12-13-2-2 in the 29 games since the coaching changes,should mention of the 29 games,3 more played on the road.
Improved play from Morneau and Smith,especially Smith,Morneau 8 points in his last 7,Smith 8 points in his last 8,certainly those 2 plus Spellacy have helped in the scoring instead of Greentree, Abraham and Davis doing it all.
Gotta find someone to work with Zhugin,that's where I think both Zito and Outwater could have done something here,but with both gone for the year,a little thin,Nesbitt is improving, Martin a bit better then earlier,Spits and other teams have till Thursday to sign free agents wonder if Spits will act in this department.
I know the D gets criticized so here are there plus/ minus numbers for the last 4 and 8 games respectively.
Eichler- (0) and (+1),Christoforo-(0) and (+1),
Woodall-(-2) and (0),Toure-(+2) and (+2),
Walton-(0) and (0),Toms-(0) and (0),
Winegard-(0),and (+1).
Last 8 games Spits have scored 32 goals and allowed 32 goals plus 1 shootout goal against
Scoring wise as a group in the last 4 games Spits have outscored the opposition 6-2 in 1st periods,been outscored 10-3 in 2nd periods and have outscored teams in 3rd periods 7-4
Scoring wise in the last 8 games,they have outscored teams 10-7 in 1st periods,
they have been outscored 17-9 in 2nd periods and in 3rd periods they have outscored teams 13-10.
Clean up the 2nd period disparity and they will be fine,,it's been an issue all season,one of the better 1st period teams,but also 1 of the worst 2nd period teams.
Defense and goaltending big issue.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Woodall and Cristoforo paired together is a bufugle by coaching imo Give away more quality chances to the opposition then created offensively. Each needs to be paired with a defenseman who stays at home. Add Zhugin to lack of responsibility but other than that, yes team has improved on thier side of the center ice.

Reactions: Section 103

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Woodall and Cristoforo paired together is a bufugle by coaching imo Give away more quality chances to the opposition then created offensively. Each needs to be paired with a defenseman who stays at home. Add Zhugin to lack of responsibility but other than that, yes team has improved on thier side of the center ice.
I would pair Christoforo with Toure,and Eichler with Woodall,leaving Winegard with Walton, with 4 rookies out of the 6 best pairings I can think of, Toms hasn't earned my trust to be in top 6,despite his 3rd year in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad