Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
We’ve now signed our Top 4 Forward Picks, Top D Pick and Top G Pick.

There’s only 3 picks we haven’t signed that we picked above the 10th round, all defensemen. Robinson (our second 3rd round), Spicer (4th), Wathier (USA NTDP, He’ll be with U17 in Plymouth this year, good chance to build a connection on another flyer).

There’s an argument our 23’ draft was a bust, but keep in mind Nesbitt was 20th overall, and we didn’t have another pick until the 5th round, Manzo at 95. We had 7 picks in the Top 100 this year.

You can be mad bowler didn’t go all in, in 2022. You can be mad bowler did and failed in 2023. You can be mad they finished last in 2024.

But with the quantity and quality of players we have signed from our 06 & 08’ players. And some assets in the cupboard, we’re in a good spot now, to either go for it in a couple years, or really stock up to build around the 08’s.

With hindsight at 20/20, the biggest mistakes of the Bowler era have been Wright, and even moreso; Harrison (Two 2nds, Three 3rds and a 5th).

Wright brought a lot of attention to the organization, which I think opens the eyes of prospects and their parents. Harrison cost us our 2nd round in 07’, which would be nice to have now.

The biggest issue is the down years of not having many 05’s and 07’s. Hopefully some trades to come.

Reactions: Spits1963

Corso

Aug 13, 2018

Well done by the Spits....he is a legit high end American born talent that was hotly pursued by some of the top D-1 schools in the nation. Michigan was particularly interested in him, even so much as offering a full ride (which isn't common unless the player is deemed high end).

Attachments

• 1717696294468.png
    1717696294468.png
    541.6 KB · Views: 1

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
thats a good signing, they had alot of average up front last year, painfully avrage like the struthers of the world, martin, etc. time to have players with upside not just players filling the roster out.

we cant rely on other teams cuts to fill out a roster again

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
This may have been answered and I missed it, (or forgot) what’s the Junior B eligibility on these American kids?

What are their options if they’re not up with the team? If we can only carry 4 and dress 3 08’s, and two are Americans, can they play state side? Are they Jr. B eligible? I have to imagine Belchetz becomes an every day guy immediately. Giving us 5 08’s, with a goalie.. that we have to pick 3 from, and always sit 1? Good problem to have, but aside from Belchetz, we can’t even trade any of the others for at least a year… in which we could play them all anyways.

If last year the organization was “cheaping out” on a coach, maybe it was to afford all these college packages tied to this years draft?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This was the signing that I was curious about because he was a flyer. The term "... if he shows up" was used by the team. Well, he's showed up to Orientation Camp, liked what he saw, and signed. That's as good as you can hope for right now.

Belchetz
Hicks
Lemieux
Windbiel
Brocklehurst
Garden

That may have been the fastest they've signed six draftees in a long time, if ever. It's been a productive off-season, let's keep it going!

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Have to think it’s Belchetz, Lemieux, Hicks, Garden as the four. Brocklehurst to LaSalle as he is young with a late NHL draft. Good for him to season in Jr B for development. Windbiel is the wildcard.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
So do the American kids stay state side with their current teams if they’re not one of the other “two”? Or are they will the Vipers in La Salle?

I think the biggest thing to hold out hope for is Greentree getting drafted by someone that’s loaded at forward and it allows him to have two more years in the O. While I think there’s possibility of Davis, Spellacy and Christoforo getting their name called, I think they all have two more OHL seasons. Greentrees the question mark to graduate early. If he doesn’t, 25-26 could be something really fun to watch.

Have to think it’s Belchetz, Lemieux, Hicks, Garden as the four. Brocklehurst to LaSalle as he is young with a late NHL draft. Good for him to season in Jr B for development. Windbiel is the wildcard.
There’s a loophole with the goalie though, no? He could be “called up” and started for up to 10 games as an affiliate? Which seems like a decent little chunk of starts for developing a 16 year old.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
brocklehurst played the equivalent of aa hockey last year, so i think he needs jr b more then any of them. hicks could do with more seasoning as well.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So do the American kids stay state side with their current teams if they’re not one of the other “two”? Or are they will the Vipers in La Salle?

I think the biggest thing to hold out hope for is Greentree getting drafted by someone that’s loaded at forward and it allows him to have two more years in the O. While I think there’s possibility of Davis, Spellacy and Christoforo getting their name called, I think they all have two more OHL seasons. Greentrees the question mark to graduate early. If he doesn’t, 25-26 could be something really fun to watch.
I agree about Greentree,I think he plays 2 more years here and in year 2 Spits will be making a run at things.Keep in mind Spits have 3-2nd round picks for next years draft plus obviously their 1st thinking the future is looking bright here moving forward.
As for the American born players Windbiel and Garden they cant play Jr B in Ontario till they are 18,which wont happen anyways.
My feeling is that all 6 players signed will play games here just a question of who stays besides Belchetz, me I am thinking Garden,Lemieux and perhaps Hart,Brocklehurst in B plus playing some games,Windbiel in the US but playing some games here too.
Would be interesting if Brocklehurst made the team at the beginning, could see Hart sent to La Salle for some seasoning.
Bottom line all 6 players I can see playing some games this year in Windsor just cant predict which ones outside of Belchetz would be regulars,leaning towards Garden and Lemieux at this time,knowing its early but fun to speculate.

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
First 2 08’s taken in the draft plus any other two make up the 4 08’s eligible to roster as I understand.
Lemieux doesn't have to play in Windsor this year. Cowan and Bonk hardly played at all in London for their rookie year. I'm sure Newbury will want a say with Lemieux but it's important Bowler and whoever the new coach is to shut that down.

Reactions: Section 103

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
I think Froggett showed he deserves a shot and don’t think they go Froggett, Windbiel but who knows

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I agree about Froggett definitely, unsure about Windbiel at this time,if Costanzo plays like he did last year when he really struggled coupled with the defence issues,unlike his 1st year here when he was really good,a bounce back year needed from him,if not could be moved by Christmas,not saying I want that to happen,Windbiel I think will get some games and we take things from there.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Ya never seen a year when this many solid draft picks have to sit around the table and work out who gets to play?! Maybe 2006?
Makes you wonder if this is the group to build around??
Good problem to have and I'm glad I'm not the GM although I'm sure I will still be able to hindsight all of his moves with my " insight"!

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I wonder if Froggett holds any trade value. He had good numbers with the London Nationals last year and love or hate Costanzo, I really don't think the Spitfires move on from him after a rough season, that I think we all agree had worse defense than goaltending. Plus with two years of eligibility, and very few names that stick out as 05' Star goaltenders… He could be a useful piece if there's plans in place to build around the 06's.

We don't have a logjam of 05 OA's currently, and you'll want an experienced goalie in a run. If Windbiel's here this year and next, he'll likely be a really solid backup option, and there's always potential to battle for the crease. Happened with Onuska/Medina, and if you watched Saginaw's playoff run, they may have been a different spot, had they went with someone other than LaLonde as their backup.

05 Group:
Joey- IMO only realistic OA from 05's
Winegard - Maybe if he picks up his game, but would need to slot in Top 4
Eichler - Unlikely OA/Import Spot
Greenwell - Not enough production so far
Martin - Good size but not enough production to justify OA spot
Outwater - I hold out hope, but not holding my breath.

Costanzo leads 05 Goalies across the OHL in games played, and the Save % Numbers aren't drastically different. Only other goalies within 20 of his 96 Games Played are Nathaniel Day with Flint, and Mason Vaccari with the Fronts. Neither of which justify trading for as I think they'd be close to parallel moves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad