Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
great trade for sure, but the reason Detroit couldn’t sign him was all the injuries
I love this for an OHL club. The kids, what 20? He’s far from too banged up to excel at this level. NHL concerns are seem to be based on long-term health (which, obviously, hopefully works out for him).

However for Windsor, it should be a beneficial trade nearly immediately. I’m excited about the get. I don’t dislike Morneau, but on the ice, upgrades are available. That being said, I can’t imagine his trade value is super high, and if we were to try and improve that spot, I think we’d lose more for the future than we’d gain.

Unless Windsors goes from 10th to 1st, no reason to upgrade that spot. Workhorse, that can eat some minutes, and slot in on a 2nd line if needed. It’s fine.

Excited to see all these players we have progress. I don’t expect too much of an immediate change, but I could see a lot of improvement from September -> Christmas -> March, that I expect to give us great hope (if nothing else) for 25-26.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
From Puck Preps
08 Andrew Robinson has committed to Providence! The Ontario defender played for the mighty Vaughan Kings last season and was a 3rd round pick to the Windsor Spitfires. Andrew will play for the Georgetown Raiders next season.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
From Puck Preps
08 Andrew Robinson has committed to Providence! The Ontario defender played for the mighty Vaughan Kings last season and was a 3rd round pick to the Windsor Spitfires. Andrew will play for the Georgetown Raiders next season.
I figured something like that was on the horizon just by looking around the interwebs. Bowler still has extensive work to do with the D. Not only with the coaching staff developing them but giving the coaching staff the talent to work with. Hicks is the only one in the pipeline. They drafted Robinson/Spicer/Waither and 2 of them have committed to the NCAA. Eichler won't be back next year, Mathurin is an OA this year. Winegard shouldn't be back next year and you can make the case not make the roster this year. Manzo and Lavigne if they're even good enough will take a lot of time to develop. The only avenue is through trade as of now but I would rather them hold on to those picks especially after what you see a guy like Bertucci costs. I would like if Bowler was creative and moved players off the roster to acquire D but I am not sure it's feasible right now.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not surprised with Robinson. Despite all the picks signing, I've rarely heard his name pop up in discussion. Hopefully he does well in his other ventures. Fortunately, this isn't a make-or-break thing for Bowler.

I'll add that I think Bowler still needs to add a veteran defenceman (not Toms-esque) before the season starts.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I figured something like that was on the horizon just by looking around the interwebs. Bowler still has extensive work to do with the D. Not only with the coaching staff developing them but giving the coaching staff the talent to work with. Hicks is the only one in the pipeline. They drafted Robinson/Spicer/Waither and 2 of them have committed to the NCAA. Eichler won't be back next year, Mathurin is an OA this year. Winegard shouldn't be back next year and you can make the case not make the roster this year. Manzo and Lavigne if they're even good enough will take a lot of time to develop. The only avenue is through trade as of now but I would rather them hold on to those picks especially after what you see a guy like Bertucci costs. I would like if Bowler was creative and moved players off the roster to acquire D but I am not sure it's feasible right now.
He hasn't been creative in the past..

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I'm not surprised with Robinson. Despite all the picks signing, I've rarely heard his name pop up in discussion. Hopefully he does well in his other ventures. Fortunately, this isn't a make-or-break thing for Bowler.

I'll add that I think Bowler still needs to add a veteran defenceman (not Toms-esque) before the season starts.
He also was drafted by a USHL team this year as well,though it looks like he won't play there this coming season.
While you hate to lose a 3rd round pick from any draft they did draft 7D overall this season in the 2 drafts,16 year olds and U18,so I am not concerned moving forward.

Reactions: punch1943

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

When surprised?
What clarifies anything bad for Bowler??

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While you hate to lose a 3rd round pick from any draft they did draft 7D overall this season in the 2 drafts,16 year olds and U18,so I am not concerned moving forward.

But, when two of the D are top five rounds (Robinson/Wathier) and not reporting, that doesn't help 2024-25. I don't know the situation with Spicer; his name came up during the Team Canada stuff last month but details escape my memory right now. Right now, it's about quality D, not quantity. Bowler still needs a veteran or two.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
But, when two of the D are top five rounds (Robinson/Wathier) and not reporting, that doesn't help 2024-25. I don't know the situation with Spicer; his name came up during the Team Canada stuff last month but details escape my memory right now. Right now, it's about quality D, not quantity. Bowler still needs a veteran or two.
Bowler knew about Wathier before drafting him and he was the only rookie not to show up at rookie camp of the 15-16 year olds plus 3-U18 players drafted,with Hicks signed,plus Manzo and Lavigne(17) year olds,thinking 2-3 of those 3 making team this year,with Spicer and Drake Gram coming aboard next year,keep in mind Christoforo, Walton, Woodall, are all only 18, Robinson imo doesn't change things moving forward on the back end.
Now would I like to get a 19 year old dman in a trade down the road yes,just wanting to see how things shake out 1st.
Meant to mention Spits now have 10 D signed,7 of them 16-18 years old,2-19 year olds (Winegard, Eichler) and 1 OA -(Mathurin),toss in Spicer and Gram,maybe Gage Evans and 17 year olds Luke Laevens and Noah Caswell in the system.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Bowler knew about Wathier before drafting him and he was the only rookie not to show up at rookie camp of the 15-16 year olds plus 3-U18 players drafted,with Hicks signed,plus Manzo and Lavigne(17) year olds,thinking 2-3 of those 3 making team this year,with Spicer and Drake Gram coming aboard next year,keep in mind Christoforo, Walton, Woodall, are all only 18, Robinson imo doesn't change things moving forward on the back end.
Now would I like to get a 19 year old dman in a trade down the road yes,just wanting to see how things shake out 1st.
Meant to mention Spits now have 10 D signed,7 of them 16-18 years old,2-19 year olds (Winegard, Eichler) and 1 OA -(Mathurin),toss in Spicer and Gram,maybe Gage Evans and 17 year olds Luke Laevens and Noah Caswell in the system.
More experience n definitely more toughness needed..

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Did I miss something? Was the trade deadline moved to today, lol!

I know there was talk about a Niagara-Flint-Barrie move last week (I think?). Maybe it just took time to get over the line. I'm eager to hear more news as the week progresses; teams are going to be active heading into camps.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I know there was talk about a Niagara-Flint-Barrie move last week (I think?). Maybe it just took time to get over the line. I'm eager to hear more news as the week progresses; teams are going to be active heading into camps.
Bowler phone should be active hopefully...

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Bowler phone should be active hopefully...
Bowler needs to resist the urge to make any other moves for the time being.

Look no further than prices for

Bertucci 3 players 2 2nds and 3 3rds

Frasca 2nds 2 3rds and a 4th

The smart move would be to inquire about what the value of guys like Spellacy Greentree and Davis are

Reactions: windsor7

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Bowler needs to resist the urge to make any other moves for the time being.

Look no further than prices for

Bertucci 3 players 2 2nds and 3 3rds

Frasca 2nds 2 3rds and a 4th

The smart move would be to inquire about what the value of guys like Spellacy Greentree and Davis are
All of those guys will be around for next season when Windsor hopes to contend.

This is the year they hope to gain traction and be competing for a mid playoff spot.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
He hasn't been creative in the past..
The Shane Wright trade was pretty creative when you consider he was the very top player available at the time and Bowler didn't have gobs of draft picks to work with. Nobody saw that one coming at the time, that was some fairly creative shit to get value like that out of Miedema and Gavin McCarthy.

I think the trade with Niagara for Castle and Dioniccio was pretty creative too considering he got a really good import defenceman for 2 seasons at a bargain basement cost, then flipped him to Saginaw this year for way more than he paid in the first place.

He's got some trade skills, just admit it crusty!:thumbu:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The Shane Wright trade was pretty creative when you consider he was the very top player available at the time and Bowler didn't have gobs of draft picks to work with. Nobody saw that one coming at the time, that was some fairly creative shit to get value like that out of Miedema and Gavin McCarthy.

I think the trade with Niagara for Castle and Dioniccio was pretty creative too considering he got a really good import defenceman for 2 seasons at a bargain basement cost, then flipped him to Saginaw this year for way more than he paid in the first place.

Wright trade was wrong to try.
#bust

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I agree. As a Kingston fan I wasn’t too happy about that right away and I hate it even more now. Really big blunder by cooper there and I like cooper but come on. Bowler 1000% got the best of him there regardless of how far you went in the playoffs.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Wright trade was wrong to try.
#bust
You were talking about Bowlers creativity when making deals and I provided you 2 solid examples of his creativity. You can cry in your fruity pebbles about Wright not living up to expectations but the price Bowler paid was quite modest. Just scroll the deadline threads if you don't believe me, most felt it was a pittance to pay for an elite difference maker. Go poop on the coach or something about it not working out, we're just talking Bowler's ability to get value in trade here and he certainly did with the Wright trade.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You were talking about Bowlers creativity when making deals and I provided you 2 solid examples of his creativity. You can cry in your fruity pebbles about Wright not living up to expectations but the price Bowler paid was quite modest. Just scroll the deadline threads if you don't believe me, most felt it was a pittance to pay for an elite difference maker. Go poop on the coach or something about it not working out, we're just talking Bowler's ability to get value in trade here and he certainly did with the Wright trade.
Wasn't difference maker.
Was just a bust

• Haha
Reactions: frontsfan67

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Agreed, but to get a player of his calibre (4th overall NHL draft pick) for very little in all reality was good work out of Bowler, even if Wright didn’t preform here.
Seems overrated..
Maybe he live up to the hype 1 day. But hasn't yet..

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Seems overrated..
Maybe he live up to the hype 1 day. But hasn't yet..
He definitely is overrated, I think most, if not all fans can agree on that.

But looking back on that trade, Windsor traded Miedema (who most of us didn’t like, anyway) one second, one third and two fourths and a flyer who never mattered. Was a solid deal for the best player on the market that year, even if he was useless come playoff time.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

My attitude re Shane Wright trade is that it would not have occurred had Windsor not have Wyatt Johnston graduate a year early,Zito asking out of Windsor because of issues with Savard and forwards Ryan Abraham and AJ Spellacy injured for the season around trade deadline,Windsor was in 1st and Bowler went for it,a move I supported then and now to this day,hindsight is always 20/20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad